Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #1

Jack knife change out

I have a 2016 Jay Flight 24 ft with a center jack knife sofa. It is terrible to sit on. It also has no foot rest. Since we don't have kids and don't expect anyone to sleep on it I've thought about pulling it out and replacing with either a love seat w/foot rest or maybe even a couple of singles. The problem I see is that there is a heat vent coming out of the sofa, just off center. It appears to have a vent structure that comes out of the floor that transfers the air out the front. Has anyone tackled this problem and if so what had to be done? I was thinking that if a love seat was used that a hole could be cut in the proper location and the vent ring that is now in use be attached to the new hole location. These trailer companies build them to look good but not very comfortable. Any ideas or pictures are appreciated.
mnsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #2

We replaced ours with dual recliner sofa. Underneath is very open (except for all the mechanism) so you might be able to do the same.

If the vent is not the only one in the living space you could just block it off.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #3

The vent coming out the front appears to be the main supply of warm air, although there are a couple smaller vents in the ceiling. The problem that I see with a love seat with a foot rest that come out would be how the air would get out. I can't bring it out the foot rest because it will rise up when in use. It would instead have to be routed out the open end of the couch? Maybe using flex tubing? Thanks for your response.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #4

Ceiling vents are not heat supply vents, so that one on the floor is probably your only one. So, yes, you'd probably have to reroute it somehow.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #5

I will check next time I have the heat on. I'm certain their not A/C as there are a couple really close to the A/C unit where the A/C air comes out on four sides. Thanks Vcbice.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #6

Sounds like you have a 23RB, or possibly a 24RBS. I know for sure in the 23RB the vent is the heat outlet for the main living space. There is a vent on the opposite side that goes into the sleeping area.

You should know with the 23RB and maybe with the 24RBS, the furnace is under the sofa. So facing the sofa, the left side has the furnace and the heat outlets for the sleeping and living area of the trailer, and the fresh water intake tube from the outside to the fresh water tanks below.

By the way, it's always good to let us know exactly what model you have. It helps to get the exact correct information without anyone guessing what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsiu View Post
I have a 2016 Jay Flight 24 ft with a center jack knife sofa. It is terrible to sit on. It also has no foot rest. Since we don't have kids and don't expect anyone to sleep on it I've thought about pulling it out and replacing with either a love seat w/foot rest or maybe even a couple of singles. The problem I see is that there is a heat vent coming out of the sofa, just off center. It appears to have a vent structure that comes out of the floor that transfers the air out the front. Has anyone tackled this problem and if so what had to be done? I was thinking that if a love seat was used that a hole could be cut in the proper location and the vent ring that is now in use be attached to the new hole location. These trailer companies build them to look good but not very comfortable. Any ideas or pictures are appreciated.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:58 AM   #7

Atlee. Thanks for all the information. Your comment prompted me to go out to the garage and inspect what I have.

First, I could not find any information (tags) anywhere on the inside or outside of the TT to indicate exactly what model the TT is. The title does not indicate that either. If anyone knows where I might find that information located anywhere on the TT please let me know. If I were to measure it where do I take my measurements from?

Your right on your information concerning the furnace. I opened the sofa for the first time and there it was. Looking at it makes me wonder if I would even have enough room under a love seat. (it also rules out using individual recliners) I guess i'll have to start turning some upside down to get an idea. I know I could remove any material covering the bottom but i'm not sure about any framing or if there is framing could it be moved around to miss the furnace?

The TT I have the bedroom is located in the "front". There is a heat vent that goes thru the wall that separates the sofa area from the front bedroom. (as you indicated).

From the information i'm starting to receive it looks more and more like I may have to scrap my idea of changing out the knife sofa and just use a padded foot stool and a pillow to sit on. I was hoping I could find someone who had made this change out.

I should have mentioned in my post exactly what TT I have, for that I apologize to everyone. (it looks like now if I had I could have been wrong anyway).

Thanks again Atlee and to those who took the time to answer my post. I now know more that when I started.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #8

First, the model number is usually on the outside wall just to the left of the door as you face it. Maybe it's been peeled off.

Next, do you have a slide? What model year is it. In either '13 or '14 Jayco changed from the 22FB (front bedroom) to 23RB (rear bathroom). It was lengthened a bit, but otherwise the floor plan is the same.

What you have sounds exactly like my '17 23RB, assuming you do not have a slide.

little
Quote:
Atlee. Thanks for all the information. Your comment prompted me to go out to the garage and inspect what I have.

First, I could not find any information (tags) anywhere on the inside or outside of the TT to indicate exactly what model the TT is. The title does not indicate that either. If anyone knows where I might find that information located anywhere on the TT please let me know. If I were to measure it where do I take my measurements from?

Your right on your information concerning the furnace. I opened the sofa for the first time and there it was. Looking at it makes me wonder if I would even have enough room under a love seat. (it also rules out using individual recliners) I guess i'll have to start turning some upside down to get an idea. I know I could remove any material covering the bottom but i'm not sure about any framing or if there is framing could it be moved around to miss the furnace?

The TT I have the bedroom is located in the "front". There is a heat vent that goes thru the wall that separates the sofa area from the front bedroom. (as you indicated).

From the information i'm starting to receive it looks more and more like I may have to scrap my idea of changing out the knife sofa and just use a padded foot stool and a pillow to sit on. I was hoping I could find someone who had made this change out.

I should have mentioned in my post exactly what TT I have, for that I apologize to everyone. (it looks like now if I had I could have been wrong anyway).

Thanks again Atlee and to those who took the time to answer my post. I now know more that when I started.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

Atlee.... The sticker on the front left side says it was manufactured 7/15. however, my title says the year made is "16". I then ran my serial number through a Vin Decoder. CMV ID: A Web-based VIN Decoder for Trucks, Buses, and Trailers According to the decoder the 10th. entry in my serial number is "G" and according to their chart (look under "show yr.) G indicates it's a 2016.... Jaco's model layout for my trailer says it's a 24FBS The 24 does not mean length, just model.The FBS is of course Front Bedroom, Slide. On Jaco's site they list a FBS but no where do they state the length. I started looking for models 24FBS for sale and they all list the length as 27 ft. So what I thought was a 24 ft. ends up being a 27 ft.... 2016 FBS 27 ft. with a single slide, front bedroom. I learned a lot about Jayco's. They have a video on line that shows the building of their trailers. Takes seven hours to build one and they turn out thirty two trailers a day. Watching the video I would not like to work there. The workers are literally running and working at a pace I couldn't work at. It's worth the watch but makes me wonder about the quality of their trailers given the speed in which they work.... Thanks to everyone's input.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 PM   #10

When peeling back the layers of the onion when doing my mods and adds,
I came face to face of the results of trying to push too many trailers out the door, in a day.

Let's say 3 staples in a piece of wood, yet it's counter part may only have 1 or 2 staples. Sometimes a staple missing the two pieces of wood that need to be attached. Corners not squaring up. Lots of stuff like that.

As I mentioned in a post a little while back, I just hope my 23RB is fundamentally sound. I can deal with the other stuff.

Quote:
Atlee.... The sticker on the front left side says it was manufactured 7/15. however, my title says the year made is "16". I then ran my serial number through a Vin Decoder. CMV ID: A Web-based VIN Decoder for Trucks, Buses, and Trailers According to the decoder the 10th. entry in my serial number is "G" and according to their chart (look under "show yr.) G indicates it's a 2016.... Jaco's model layout for my trailer says it's a 24FBS The 24 does not mean length, just model.The FBS is of course Front Bedroom, Slide. On Jaco's site they list a FBS but no where do they state the length. I started looking for models 24FBS for sale and they all list the length as 27 ft. So what I thought was a 24 ft. ends up being a 27 ft.... 2016 FBS 27 ft. with a single slide, front bedroom. I learned a lot about Jayco's. They have a video on line that shows the building of their trailers. Takes seven hours to build one and they turn out thirty two trailers a day. Watching the video I would not like to work there. The workers are literally running and working at a pace I couldn't work at. It's worth the watch but makes me wonder about the quality of their trailers given the speed in which they work.... Thanks to everyone's input.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:47 PM   #11

Generally, but not always, if you add 4 feet to the Jayco model number you will get very close to the overall length of the trailer. My 23RB plus 4 = 27 ft. My trailer is actually 27' 2" long.

Quote:

Old 08-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #12
bap

The number in the model number is the length of the camper living box without the rear bumper or the front hitch. It is not the total length of the complete camper.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #13

Was the jacknife couch issue ever resolved? I have the same challenges in a 2017 245 RLSW. Most uncomfortable couch I've ever sat on. I hope to find some more comfortable solution. Thanks.
rporter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #14

Jack Knife Couch

Because I could not come up with a plan to change out my JKS for two recliners without it looking bad (even if I could fit a recliner over the furnace) I've decided to leave well enough alone. If anyone else comes up with a suitable way of doing this changeover I would be very interested in seeing some pictures on how this was accomplished.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If the Jack Knife Couch is not comfortable take it to an upholsterer, they can fix it proper and use denser foam. Anything in the lower end RV's is just not adequate enough (except the price you pay).
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #16

I’m going to stick with it until I come up with something. By my measurements I need something with 6 inch clearance for the furnace. I think I can change the power cord vault and the FW fill.
rporter5 is offline   Reply With Quote