Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #11
These gauges work accurately all the time: SeeLevel Gauges. I installed a system on my Jayco. These gauges read from the outside of the tanks, and detect a change in capacitance to measure the level of the fluid inside the tanks. But they ain't cheap.

There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
fresh water sort of works most of the time... for gray I go by when I have water in the bottom of the shower it needs dumping... and I just look down the toilet when flushing to see how full it is....
I really don't like standing in dish washing water when showering. :blah: I like a llttle advance warning.

jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #13

The theory is sound for low iron content fresh water use. Since you are not likely to find that in your black and gray, forget about it. Fresh is more likely to be accurate as long as you are using softened, filtered water, also unlikely.

If you must... try non-formaldhyde additives for the black and gray. Ice cubes down the commode just before towing. Liberal flush king usage for black and gray. Calgon in the gray(s). Dawn in the gray(s). That should work for a day or two.

After you give up, and you will, try this... leave the gray cracked open. Flush the black 3 or 4 times after dumping so you know its empty and look down the pipe to determine when its full. Repeat till you sell it then start over the week after you get your new one.

2003 Designer Legacy 3590RLTS
2011 Bullet 215RBS - Sold
Timbrens, Rand McNally 7710RVND and
Pullrite SuperGlide 2700.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
The RV industry have been using these lousy sensors for years. Even though there has been technology to measure the fluid in the tanks without using the metal probes the companies have been slow to adopt. Same with led lighting. The last RV show I was at in Feb. this year, Open Range was the only trailer I went in that came with led lighting. It comes down to money and what they think the consumer will be willing to pay for. Did you notice how fast the industry adopted to the drawers that are able to fully pull out. They push this really hard as a selling feature but the upgrade cost to them was negligible. Probably had no choice. I truly think the roofing system could be made to better withstand the chance of having a leak after some time. But then would you ever have to buy another trailer.
2011 Jay Feather Select 28U
2007 Silverado Crewcab LT 6.0L
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
Really like the Horst Probe link video. Very good info to know when problem solving tank issues. Thanks a lot!
Eric and Jody

2010 Jayco Jay Feather 213EXP
2006 Nissan Titan
ecchamberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
X3 on the Horst probes. Know someone who had them installed, and never had another false reading. I will be putting these in sometime before the next camping season.

2003 Ford F-350 V-10 Crew Cab 4WD Long Bed
2004 Jayco Designer Medallion 29 RLTS 5th wheel
Bill, Gayle, and Mindi (dachshund)
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote