Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #1

Jayco Authorized Repair Locations

2015 Jayco Eagle HT 26.5

Living room slide does not extend smoothly, but retracts just fine. Called the Jayco Dealership in Ft. Worth, TX (Vogt) and they said it would be the middle of January before they could even look at it (ridiculous).

RV-MAX in Cleburne, TX is close. If a repair is necessary, it would fall under the two year Jayco warranty; thus, am I limited on locations I can take the 5th wheel to be looked at?

Thanks in advance,
sgtglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #2

You need to call/"e" mail JAYCO, they are the only one who can answer that question. They have been known to work with independent service centers/techs.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks: I have sent an e-mail requesting authorized locations that would be able to diagnose the issue.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #4

Jayco can suggest dealers that can work on a rig but they don't set the service schedule of ANY dealer.

Good luck.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

Jayco

I fully understand that service departments are not scheduled by Jayco. I simply wanted additional locations that were available to me.

Waiting 6 - 8 weeks for an RV to even be looked at is ridiculous. Would you settle for that with your Mercedes, BMW, Ram 3500? Of course not.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:37 AM   #6
Site Team

Jayco has been known to authorize repairs by non dealer facilities but it would need to be approved by them before the work is scheduled. Sounds like you have started that process.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 12:10 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtglenn View Post
Thanks: I have sent an e-mail requesting authorized locations that would be able to diagnose the issue.
Make sure you send the VIN number of the TT, as they ALWAYS ask me to submit it prior to disclosing any information

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
I fully understand that service departments are not scheduled by Jayco. I simply wanted additional locations that were available to me.

Waiting 6 - 8 weeks for an RV to even be looked at is ridiculous. Would you settle for that with your Mercedes, BMW, Ram 3500? Of course not.
Here is a great tool.

Sorry but you cannot compare a car dealer to a RV dealer...not even lose.

Still....good luck.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
2015 Jayco Eagle HT 26.5

Living room slide does not extend smoothly, but retracts just fine. Called the Jayco Dealership in Ft. Worth, TX (Vogt) and they said it would be the middle of January before they could even look at it (ridiculous).

RV-MAX in Cleburne, TX is close. If a repair is necessary, it would fall under the two year Jayco warranty; thus, am I limited on locations I can take the 5th wheel to be looked at?

Thanks in advance,

I would be cautious about using RV Max. I can't comment on the Cleburne location but we took our camper to RV Max in Mesquite for warranty repairs with very poor results. They kept the camper for three months. The quality of repairs is awful – most of it will have to be redone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djohnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:27 AM   #10

I wish I were younger and more mechanically knowledgeable. A fellow could make a fortune doing nothing but working on RV's, Motorhomes, and TT's.

Why do the dealers not build larger service departments and hire and train folks? That is beyond me. Service after the sale will guarantee return customers as I have discovered RV owners usually buy 2-4 RV's before settling for one.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnsn View Post
I would be cautious about using RV Max. I can't comment on the Cleburne location but we took our camper to RV Max in Mesquite for warranty repairs with very poor results. They kept the camper for three months. The quality of repairs is awful – most of it will have to be redone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
An interesting post to be sure, djohn. We came from the Houston area to buy from them (Mesquite) and have had the 5er back a couple of times for warranty work. Our experience is pretty much the same as yours.
Warranty is now expired and I'll not return.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:55 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Repair

It's hard to find good tecs dealers go back to grease monkey days. Today's tecs spend a ton on tools , factory training is needed dealer does not want to pay for it nor a real wage , they charge 4times what the Tecs get.The real issue is what is being slopped together at factory and lack of quality . Most dealers don't want to touch units they do not sell , Jayco let's them get away with it as well . Factory service is terrible ours was there for warranty 6 months , fixing what and when they wanted. Best person I found was Mike , going to customer relations will get a bunch of excuses ,then say we went out of our way to fix what you spent seventy thousand on . My story 847-494-8707
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
I wish I were younger and more mechanically knowledgeable. A fellow could make a fortune doing nothing but working on RV's, Motorhomes, and TT's.

Why do the dealers not build larger service departments and hire and train folks? That is beyond me. Service after the sale will guarantee return customers as I have discovered RV owners usually buy 2-4 RV's before settling for one.
The irony of your post made me laugh... where did you buy your last RV and why are you not getting it serviced there?
Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #14

Purchased in Ft. Worth at Vogt. Called them and they said they "would not even look at the RV until mid-January". That is why I am searching for Jayco authorized repair locations. No irony; just ridiculous that to simply diagnose something requires a minimum of 6-8 weeks to even look at it.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Why do the dealers not build larger service departments and hire and train folks?
They are probably having the same problem as the manufacturers, nobody can pass the drug test. Major issue in N.Indiana.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Why do the dealers not build larger service departments and hire and train folks?
This is an interesting question that I've posted on before. Hiring and training a RV Tech is not like hiring an Auto Tech. For starters, a RV Tech is part mechanic, part carpenter, part HVAC tech, part refrigeration tech and part electrician, just for starters. While the major auto manufacturers spend millions of dollars on training for their dealers techs, the RV manufacturers do not. Add in the many third party suppliers (furnace, refrigerator, A/C, etc...) and it becomes even more difficult and expensive to train a new technician.

Young people today are constantly told they need to go to college and get a four year degree. The ones that don't are choosing the military or programs at community colleges or trade schools that teach specific programs. I have never seen a degree in RV repair but there may be one out there. So by the time they are trained, they are industry specific.

Also, the dealers lose money on warranty work. What I mean by that is if they can fill their shop with customer pay work, they lose money if a tech is doing warranty work. When my folks had the dealership, the warranty labor rate was about $30 less than our shop rate. We gave warranty work priority because we felt we owed it to our customers, but it is easy to see why a dealer wouldn't. And that's not to say that we made everyone happy.

Space is another factor. Large shops cost a lot of money to build and operate. The land it takes can be more profitable if it is used for sales (constant turnover of inventory). Tooling is expensive. If your tech's can't afford a tool but it necessary for warranty work, someone has to buy it. With the increase is new trailer sales, current techs are needed to inspect trade-ins and prep new units for delivery. This also takes space that could have been used for repairs.

I'm sure there are other reasons dealers don't build large shops and that some on this forum won't like what I've posted, but the dealers are running a business and these are things they have to consider and deal with.

IMO
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #17

Quote:

If there was actually a "fortune" to be made, you can bet the dealers would be on it like ....
Truth is, the margins are pretty low for the shop, as is the pay for techs in the RV industry. This is the main reason these places have trouble finding/keeping techs. Also margins are the reason most do not have much interest in taking on warranty work.
Maybe if you did the work yourself, out of a shop on your own property, you could do OK.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:09 AM   #18
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
If there was actually a "fortune" to be made, you can bet the dealers would be on it like ....
Truth is, the margins are pretty low for the shop, as is the pay for techs in the RV industry. This is the main reason these places have trouble finding/keeping techs. Also margins are the reason most do not have much interest in taking on warranty work.
Maybe if you did the work yourself, out of a shop on your own property, you could do OK.
. NOw that is the correct answer,I worked for dealers half my life ,they will try ripping you off any way they can
My garage is offline   Reply With Quote