Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

Jayco Bungalow Water Heater problems

Hello,

I purchased a used 2008 Jayco Bungaloo in August and I am in the process of winterizing. It has an Atwood LP/Electric water heater and I drained all the water from the water heater on Saturday and in the back of the water heater is a single bypass shut off valve which I turned to the winterize postion. I was able to suck antifreeze into the cold water lines without a problem. When I went to do the hot water lines antifreeze went into my water heater. Has anyone had this problem. There are no other shut off valves like the 3 valve systems. I do not want to fill my water heater up with antifreeze. HELP PLEASE!
holtzy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #2

Hello holtzy 58 and welcome to Jayco Owners Forum. We moved your thread to where it may get better noticed and hopefully get you some help with your problem. Please tell us a little about yourself in the New Members Forum. Glad to have you with us.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzy58 View Post
Hello,

I purchased a used 2008 Jayco Bungaloo in August and I am in the process of winterizing. It has an Atwood LP/Electric water heater and I drained all the water from the water heater on Saturday and in the back of the water heater is a single bypass shut off valve which I turned to the winterize postion. I was able to suck antifreeze into the cold water lines without a problem. When I went to do the hot water lines antifreeze went into my water heater. Has anyone had this problem. There are no other shut off valves like the 3 valve systems. I do not want to fill my water heater up with antifreeze. HELP PLEASE!
Forum Members, we have had a few discussions pertaining to water heater issues recently. Can someone help our newest member with a problem he is having? Thanks.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #4

Personally, I have never seen a bypass system with only one valve. There has to be two lines to the WH, and there should be valves to shut off both lines. The valve you found sounds like the one that's usually between the hot and cold lines, which should be opened for winterizing. Could be something new and different, but my feeling is that since the one valve you turned to "winterize" did not prevent the WH from getting antifreeze, the other valves must be somewhere else and out of sight behind something. Try tracing the input line back from the heater and see if you can find another valve that way. Failing that, could you check with the previous owner to see if he knows where they are. Lastly, contact Jayco and ask them to email you a schematic for the water system that shows the bypass valves. They are usually pretty good at sending that kind of info.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the response. I found out that this Atwood WH has a mixer on the back that is supposed to allow a controlled amount of cold water to mix with the hot to increase the amount of hot water available during useage. BAD IDEA. There is a control knob on the mixer that I am hoping will shut off. Unfortunately I am 120 miles from my camper so I will not know until Saturday. If this doesn't solve my problem I am going to put in my own bypass system. I will let you know the outcome next week. Thanks again!
holtzy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #6

The mixer idea is something new to me, and doesn't sound like a good one. I agree, if I found that system in my unit, I would install an after market three valve bypass system.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Site Team

Since this is a park model I have to wonder if some of the appliances are different. I know some of them have residential type friges in them. Is it possible the water heater is different as well?
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #8

My bypass set-up has a valve you turn on the cold water inlet. When turned to the "bypass" setting the valve prevents anti-freeze from entering the heater. On the hot water side there is a coupling that is a one way valve which prevents back flow into the heater from the water system.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote