Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #1

LCI power tongue jack gave up today.

On our first trip out in mid-March I commented to my wife that the LCI pwr jack sounded like it had rocks in it. I estimated we would get about half a season out of it. I was hitching up today for a weekend trip and it stopped working. Turned the manual screw a bit and tried it again, it would run a few seconds and acted like it was loosing power, gradually slowing down and then stopping. I plan to do a bit of t-shooting after we get home, but have an appointment mid May to get it replaced under warranty just in case. I have to say it wasn't too bad doing it manually. I expected it to be a battle cranking the tongue up. Fortunately it failed at home so I could grab a breaker bar to make life easier.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #2

Hopefully it is just a bad ground.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Yea, maybe a bad ground. I have had this problem on every trailer I have owned. Tighten up the mounting bolts and see if this fixes the problem. The jack gets ground through the bolts. If this is the problem try cleaning up the bolts with a wire brush or replacing them and use star washers under the bolt nuts to get a better electrical connection.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #4

Had an appt to get the jack replaced today. I went to turn the jack manually so I could hitch up and it was locked up. A bit of work with a floor and bottle jack and off we went. Had the jack changed in about 30 minutes. We spent more time looking at the latest offerings than it took for the replacement. The old one was full of water. For something designed to be mounted outdoors it was not water tight. I threw a 5 gallon bucket over the new one when we got back. Hopefully we get a bit longer life if I keep it dry.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #5

Strange to have water inside the jack! Glad you were able to get it replaced under warranty. I like your 5 gal. bucket idea. I just may do that as a preventative measure. Thanks for the follow-up post!