Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #1

Leak in front wall or window

We had a pretty substantial water issue on our last trip with our Jay Flight Swift SLX 184BH. We were towing through heavy rain and when we pulled in to our destination the front bed was soaked for a foot along the entire front wall. There is a piece of trim that runs horizontaly a few inches above the bed that was wet, the wall below the left corner of the front facing window was also wet. I'm not sure whether water was coming through the wall and out along the trim, or in through/around he window, flowing down he wall and spreading out along the trim. I've read a couple of threads on bad window seals but it seems odd water would come in around the glass with the front cover down. Any thoughts on how to deal with this?
albertan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #2

Check the lap sealant on the roof edges and any trim joints where there is caulking. Get a quality RV sealant, don't use painters caulk or scilicone bath caulk.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:42 AM   #3

Hi there
Did you ever figure this out? I have the same leak amd same trailer

Thx
boatguy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:17 AM   #4

As the other person mentioned go up on the roof and inspect the seam where the rubber roof meets the front of the camper. Going down the road there is a lot of pressure here which can break the sealant. Also around windows and don't forget clearance lights. Those get overlooked from time to time.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:51 PM   #5

It was the window seal around the casement. I unscrewed the interior frame/trim off the window casement and you could see daylight coming in from one of the bottom corners. I pulled the window out and the seal was just some kind of foam tape. In that corner it was compressed and hard and was no longer forming a seal. Road spray was being forced up from below, flowing down the wall, hitting the trim and spreading out along the entire wall. I replaced the foam with a type of putty tape from a nearby RV dealer in the fall. It seems to have sealed well now but I haven't towed through a big rain like that again to test it out yet.
albertan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:02 PM   #6

Ditto on the clearance lights. Depending on how they're constructed it may be coming in behind them or through the crack where the lens meets the body. I had tail lights that leaked all over my floor every time it rained.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #7

We took our 17 195RB SLX home and the first rain we found water on our bed (still in the plastic bag, luckily). Found upper right corner of front window was not even close to sealed, almost 1/4 inches.
Purchased a tube of the clear sealant the dealer recommended (Dicor, can't remember for sure)..
Needless to say we caulked all the windows, door and hatch just to make sure.

But this spring I will back over them and do the marker lights, etc. and inspect the roof. Fit and finish is just not that great.

Our dealer is to far away at 190 miles to take it back to them to save the cost of some sealant and time.

After the sealant was well cured we water tested by hosing at highest pressure on all corners of all the windows and door.

Anyone who can suggest anywhere else to check and treat please chime in!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertan22 View Post
It was the window seal around the casement. I unscrewed the interior frame/trim off the window casement and you could see daylight coming in from one of the bottom corners. I pulled the window out and the seal was just some kind of foam tape. In that corner it was compressed and hard and was no longer forming a seal. Road spray was being forced up from below, flowing down the wall, hitting the trim and spreading out along the entire wall. I replaced the foam with a type of putty tape from a nearby RV dealer in the fall. It seems to have sealed well now but I haven't towed through a big rain like that again to test it out yet.
That was probably butyl tape. good sticky stuff. I redid the windows on our now gone X23B. I keep thinking I should do the windows on the 5th but haven't found any of them leaking, yet. Like Albertan posted the factory just uses a thin foam gasket. If it gets torn, bunched up, scraped off, otherwise mis-applied or just old and brittle you've got a good candidate for a leaker.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote