Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 AM   #1

Leaks After One Week of Ownership!

We have had our 2014 294BHS home for one week. It rained last night... hard rain... for the first time since bringing it home.

Went out this morning first thing to do my own "checks" on the trailer. I found a small pool of water on the left side night stand next to the master bed. Opened up the wardrobe and saw the line of water coming from under where there is a joint strip in the wall. When I pressed the joint, more water squeezed out.

Then I found another small pool under the window in the master bedroom area. I watched as water came out from under the window and ran down the wall in two places in two little lines.

Not a happy man right now. Wife is beside herself. I know I'm not the only one who has lived this problem, but you feel like you are alone when you discover this type of thing. I am afraid to take it to the dealer we bought it from as I don't trust them. They will just get up on top bugger everything up with 3 inches of lap sealant on everything and call it "good". They probably won't remove the window and reseal it properly.. they will caulk the snot out of the edges and call it "good".....

What would you do? I understand that Jayco needs to be made aware for warranty purposes.... but will they just respond that the roof is a "maintenance" issue and not help me?

Thanks for any thoughts.

James
Old 04-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #2

In my mind it's a warranty issue that only an authorized dealer can take care of. If you attempt to repair you could void your warranty. Besides all that you have only had it a week, it is totally jayco's responsibility to properly repair.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

feedback

I'd hope that jayco would also listen to your concerns over their local "rep" in the form of a dealership. They may be able to get you to another repair shop or suggest to your dealer how to handle the situation. I believe jayco would want it to be repaired the first time and avoid future, more costly returns.
Good luck.
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #4

Thank you for the replies!

I called my dealer's service dept. this morning and told them what I had found. The service manager was actually very concerned. He said that this is just not typical of a Jayco unit right out of the factory. (it was built 4 months ago)

He wants me to bring it in today and he will get on it first thing when it arrives. He said they will take the window out and re-set it with new butyl tape instead of the foam from the factory. He also said they would find out where the water is getting in on the roof. I feel a "little" better about it, but still not happy that I have to be doing this already.

So... we shall see what transpires and I will let you all know what happens. I don't like it when people don't follow up with their threads..... So I will try not to do that.

He did one thing that was kind of unexpected.. he asked if we had plans to camp this weekend.. I told him that we did have reservations close by for a "shake down" trip. He said he would try to make sure we had it back in time. That was nice.

Thanks again.

James
Old 04-08-2014, 07:11 PM   #5

First Update:

Dropped the trailer off at dealer today. They said they are going to try to have it done by Thursday afternoon. The tech I talked to said that it may not be the window itself that is leaking, but coming from the roof and then running down the inside wall and around the window frame then down to the floor. He said they would pull the interior frame off the window and would be able to tell if that was the case.

He also said they would inspect the roof caulking done by the factory and see if anything was missed or if any caulk had moved or cracked due to movement while towing. He said that sometimes leaks don't appear until after the first few tows down the road due to things shifting and buckling. (Not sure how much of that I believe)

At any rate, it is the dealer hands now and I made sure all is documented for future reference should I end up with rot somewhere.

I'll keep this updated.

James
Old 04-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #6

Thanks for the update James. When my parents first picked up their brand new 5er last spring, they found a massive water leak when they got it to the CG and hooked up. Turned out to be that the manufacturer left the hot water heater lines less than finger tight. The whole underbelly had filled with water. The dealer sent someone to the CG to fix it for them. They are full timers, so there was no where for them to go if they had to take it to them.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #7

It's so disappointing to have an issue like this on a new trailer that you've only owned for a week. So far, it sounds like the dealer is trying to do the right thing.

Sometimes the results of water damage will only be apparent after some time has elapsed. If there is damage that only shows up later, Jayco could claim that the damage was caused by a subsequent leak, which would then be your responsibility to pay to repair. Therefore, I recommend that you ask your dealer at least annually to go over all the roof and sidewall seams very carefully and fix any that need to have caulking repaired or applied (Jayco can and has held an owner responsible for water damage caused by a leak in a seam that Jayco had not caulked); your dealer should document in writing for you these inspections. Maybe in the event of damage apparent in the future these inspections would prove the damage was caused by the earlier leak.

Here's a link to a post about leaking but uncaulked seams: leak thread.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #8

Good luck James, sounds like your dealer is willing to work with you. Looking forward to your update at the end of the week.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #9

Thank you all for the upbeat words and the kind advice!

James
Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #10

Sorry for the huge downer. It's tales like this that add to my reasons for keeping our trouble free rig. Hope you are able to test the results, via another rain or a heavy dosing with the garden hose. Keep us posted.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #11

Thanks!
I will keep you posted.

One would "think" that the service techs would test their work with a hose before calling me to tell me its ready.... it is saddening that I don't have any faith at all that they will do that though.

It will be up to me to test the work that was done after I get it back for sure.

James
Old 04-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #12

Latest Update:

I called to see if any progress had been made this afternoon.
The woman who works the front office of the service dept. said that she did not know everything about it yet, but that she overheard the service manager say that they had removed and reset two windows so far.....

Now I'm nervous...

There was a leak at only one window. The other leak was dripping down inside the wardrobe with no windows above it or even near it! I can only hope that they have done this correctly and pressure tested the unit and then actually found another trouble spot before it became a big one....

However, with my general "feeling" about dealership techs, I am doubting this is the case. My worst fear is that they are disassembling my new trailer in a "shot gun" approach trying to stop leaks.... and that it won't be put back together right. Maybe I'm just overly anxious because this purchase was a lot of money for our family to spend and I never had even one little problem with the Rockwood we owned before this.

We shall see what tomorrow brings.

James
Old 04-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #13

Last Update

Okay,

Went and picked up the trailer today.
They actually performed a pressure test and found all leaks occurring at this time. One was the obvious one by the master bed passenger side; the tech found that the "foam" gasket Jayco uses had been nicked at two corners when installed and was allowing water past it. He also found that the window on the other side of the bed had the exact same problem but only on one corner... he said he sent a photo to Jayco and they told him to pull the window and reset it. So... two windows pulled and new, thick butyl tape put behind them instead of the original foam gasket material. I'm LIKING this so far

The other leak which was coming through the roof and into the wardrobe next to the bed on driver's side was because of air pockets in the lap sealant from the factory. When I was up there cleaning the roof after picking it up from the dealer (see my other thread / rant about that one) I noticed that there seemed like a few big "holes" in the sealant... especially around three of the screw heads. The tech told me that is exactly where he found the leaks. He resealed the whole front seam. I went up and looked at it and it looks waaay better than from the factory as far as coverage.

He also inspected and touched up around the antenna's because they weren't done very well at the factory either... he said it is better to do it right while it isn't leaking yet.

General feelings? I am happy with the performance of this tech crew at this point. The service manager came over and talked with me and told me that in his 30 years, he can remember less than 15 or so Jayco's that have leaked right off the assembly line. I informed him that all wouldn't be right in the world if MINE didn't have problems.

At this point, this is the end to this saga... unless of course the next time it rains I end up with wet places around the inside of my trailer again.

Thank you all for the advice along the way!

James
Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #14

Better to find the leaks now than 1k miles from home and on vacation next month!!!! Hope all is good now!!!!
TST 507 flow thru

Livinglife2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:34 AM   #15

Whew! I'm glad to hear there was a happy ending to this story. It very easily could have gone sideways with the wrong service department.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #16

Thank you both!

I am happily surprised...

James
Old 04-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #17
Site Team

Just guessing but my money says the holes in the caulking were the culprit. Water kind of lays up there by that front seam and does not completely run off, and if there`s an opportunity it is coming in with gravity! The windows have also been known to leak though. Glad to hear they fixed you up.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #18

Always nice to hear a happy ending...

Good Luck and enjoy the TT!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #19

Thank you!

We just got back from our "shakedown" night of camping at a local campground. All went well. All systems worked as they should. Kids loved having their own bunk and they slept much better than when they had sleep two per bed.

The master bed with the topper we put on it slept fine. Wouldn't work for me long term, but the week-long camping trips will be okay.

Now... if I can just figure out how to drain the water heater....

James
Old 04-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #20

That's great news.

Now you can rest easy.