Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

Loose wheel hubs again !!!!!

After 5 weeks at the dealers trying to resolve the issue with our loose wheel hubs, we finally picked up out tt last sat.[see previous threads regarding this on going problem] A 150 mile trip to our favorite cg on Mon. and as we pulled into the cg a car pulled next to us and said that our trailer wheels were wobbling. G0t the tt set up, jacked it up and sure enough, both wheels were loose. The dealer had just replaced all bearings and races and told us the wrong bearings had been installed at the factory. So we finished our trip and today on the way home we took our brand new trailer back to the dealer....AGAIN. It will be first in the shop tomorrow and hopefully this time the issue can be resolved. Am waiting for a final resolution on this issue before contacting Jayco directly to try to get some compensation for loosing at least 6 weeks of the summer camping season. Very frustrating, Jayco is rapidly falling off our favorite tt list....... tt is 2012 Jayco swift 184bh.........happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #2

My X23J has had brake issues since new last year (right brakes would lock up). The dealer took a few stabs at fixing it last year, but the problem was no better. I emailed Jayco this spring and they quickly got Dexter Axle involved and got the problem fixed, the dealer finally figured it out, the brake drums/hubs were out of round. The repair of this problem caused brake problem #2 to surface, the left side was not activating much. Another email to Jayco, a call from Dexter the next day and the problem is on it's way to being fixed. Your wheel hubs coming loose seems like a very serious safety issue, I would contact Jayco ASAP and have them get Dexter Axle involved, they have a much deeper knowledge of your axle system than anybody. They also were very prompt in addressing my issues. Very impressed with both companies.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #3

I have to also add, that I have been a marine mechanic for 30 years and have repaired hundreds of boat trailer axle/brake systems. I have read you other posts and can't come to a reasonable solution that hasn't been tried. If the bearings or races were not seated on the axle or in the drum correctly, tightning of the nut would cure the problem after the first loosness cycle. If the nut were coming loose you should be able to compare how far the nut was on the shaft when tight to when loose. If the bearings or races were improperly sized, it could be possible to tighten the nut and have the hub appear tight, and then after use have it be loose. If this were true, the technician should be able to see where the bearings/races were working on the shaft or hub or each other. I would think a incorrect bearing or race would be easy to spot as it would be loose on the shaft or in the hub. Since this is happening to all the hubs, it must be a common problem with all of them. Maybe time for a complete axle replacement. I very interested to know the final solution.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #4

Ah geez, Bay, so sorry to hear this! I hope u get this fixed soon!

Replacement: 2013 Winnebago Minnie 2101FBS

2010 Honda Ridgeline
1988 Perris Pacer "Bean" (molded fiberglass camper)
PugMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #5

X2 - Contact Jayco, and have them contact Dexter. But I would seriously be considering requesting a complete new axle assembly and tires. Those tires have taken a beating, and are probably showing some very bad wear .

Does this axle requiring standard tapered roller bearings or are they using one of their other bearing setups? A coworker just replaced his bearings in his 5th wheel (2 yrs old, different brand, with Dexter axles), after one bearing failed while on the road (mile from home). If I recall correctly there were no tapered bearings at all, but some kind of needle bearing that is installed with one large nut (not a castle nut) that required extremely high torque loading force (300+ ft/lbs??). Needle bearings do not take side loading very well, and are notorious to fail at a young life.

Best of luck, keep us updated.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Site Team

Wow that really stinks. Here in the year 2012 getting hubs, bearings, axles, spindles done right should not be rocket science. We have seen the same struggles here getting brake issues fixed which also should not be that complex..............
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #7

We lost the wheel entirely while on vacation. No one was hurt and the trailer suffered only minor damage. The local Jayco rep had a new axle on and us back on our way in less than 24 hrs. Heroes. I've just started the 'official' dialogue with Jayco. I'll keep you all posted.
ertwdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

For what it worth if they can make trucks that can haul 6000 lb. trailers on bad roads and run for 150 thousand miles or more without having to have to replace wheel bearing ass, you would think that the manufactures of these trailers would get a clue
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote