Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #1

LP gas leak down

I've had this issue with my 2014 264BH since it was new, and can't find a solution.

The problem is that when our trailer is not used for a week or so, the LP leaks out of the lines. I close the valves on the tanks (the tanks are not disconnected from the regulator/manifold) when we put the unit in storage and when we get it and start prepping for our next trip (we use it almost every other week) the fridge will not light on LP unless I purge the gas line by lighting the stove. The line/tank connections are tight. Thank goodness I always test it before we leave.

I finally gave up and brought the trailer to our Jayco dealer. They said they can't find a leak in the LP system either. About the only thing left to check are the actual appliances themselves: fridge, stove, oven, furnace, water heater.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Bill

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #2

I've got the same problem, and if I forget to close the valve at the bottle when not in use, it will wind up completely empty.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Maybe one of the appliances has an internal gas leak - fridge, hot water heater, furnace, stove.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:57 AM   #4

No detectable leaks on my trailer either but it does the same thing when I shut off the bottles. Makes me wonder if there is a vent valve on one of the appliances that closes under line pressure and opens when the line pressure drops a bit. I just accept it and move on.
Old 10-07-2014, 05:50 AM   #5

Yes, the appliances are about the only thing left that could be causing the problem. I have no idea how to check them for a gas leak. It's scary to think that if the leak is inside the trailer, (I've never smelled any gas inside), that over a long period of time between trips or winter storage, there could be enough of a build up that there is a danger of fire or explosion when I light the stove to purge the line. I guess I'll just have to continue doing my sniff test before I light the burner for now.

Cypress, TX
Old 10-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Yes, the appliances are about the only thing left that could be causing the problem. I have no idea how to check them for a gas leak. It's scary to think that if the leak is inside the trailer, (I've never smelled any gas inside), that over a long period of time between trips or winter storage, there could be enough of a build up that there is a danger of fire or explosion when I light the stove to purge the line. I guess I'll just have to continue doing my sniff test before I light the burner for now.
there would never be any harm lighting the stove. Propane dissipates very very very quickly. As soon as you opened the door to get in any propane would be gone in seconds.

I am quite sure it has more to do with the propane changing from a gaseous state back to a liquid state as it sits in the line.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
there would never be any harm lighting the stove. Propane dissipates very very very quickly. As soon as you opened the door to get in any propane would be gone in seconds.

I am quite sure it has more to do with the propane changing from a gaseous state back to a liquid state as it sits in the line.
I've always wondered what happens to that gas in the lines...

I like this explanation the best. I hate to think there's a leak somewhere because my lines behave exactly like OP's. I don't believe that if I left the tanks open they would empty though. I accidentally left them open for a week at storage, and I still had gas when I got back (in fact, I have owned my trailer for a little over a year, probably 8-10 trips, and I've still got gas in the primary cylinder they filled when I bought the unit), perhaps a week wouldn't be long enough to empty the tanks...?

So with that being said, what happens to the liquid in the lines? Do you figure it eventually gets pushed out and burns off?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #8

Our units have all done the same thing if unused for a month or so. Any gas in the lines will dissipate. Just shut the gas off in storage or when not in use and purge the air when you go to use it. Just normal operating procedures for me. Not so sure about the one with the gas being gone if he leaves the tanks open. That sounds like a definite leak somewhere that deserves more attention.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

So with that being said, what happens to the liquid in the lines? Do you figure it eventually gets pushed out and burns off?
There is no liquid in the lines, It takes approx 100 psi to change propane vapor to liquid and one cu/ft of liquid expands to approx 270 cu/ft of vapor.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:50 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

it would boil back into a vapor just like your tank has at the top.

I am just speculating but this is my theory.

Your propane tank is primarily liquid propane. As it boils it turns to vapor and that is what we burn in our appliances.

Your gas line from your tank is an extension of the top of your tank, all vapor.

As it sits closed off some of it can revert back to liquid with temp changes and pressure changes. Now your gas line instead of being all vapor is now just like your tank and is liquid and vapor.

Now with this theory perhaps the fridge does not have enough volume of vapor to ignite therefore it doesn't.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #11

The stove may not demand as much gas as the refrigerator, I had a defective regulator and the furnace wouldn't work properly (kept popping). Safest way to check for leaks is soapy water (CW has a solution). I would soap the refer. orifice, no bubbles no gas, small bubbles low pressure.
DJsFolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Grumpy is right. There is no liquid in the low pressure gas lines, it is propane in a gaseous state. The pressure in the low pressure gas line is only a few psi. No where near enough for propane to be in a liquid state.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:06 PM   #13

nbhybrid.. Sorry my friend, but going to have to disagree with you on this one.. Propane is gas turned liquid under pressure.. It doesn't boil at any point. Also once the gas leaves the pressure regulator it turns from a liquid back into gas. There is not enough pressure in the lines to turn it back into a liquid form. Most likely as most have said a simple leak somewhere in the system..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
nbhybrid.. Sorry my friend, but going to have to disagree with you on this one.. Propane is gas turned liquid under pressure.. It doesn't boil at any point. Also once the gas leaves the pressure regulator it turns from a liquid back into gas. There is not enough pressure in the lines to turn it back into a liquid form. Most likely as most have said a simple leak somewhere in the system..
Sorry my friend, but going to have to disagree with YOU on this one!

LP boils at -44 Degrees F.

http://www.propane101.com/aboutpropane.htm
Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #15

Aww dang, you got me on that point. Good catch.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #16
Lost in the Woods

lol.....I wasn't trying to prove it. I cleary said in my post it was "my" theory. . hard to imagine that there are that many people with leaks in their system. I didn't count but it was at least 5-6 just in this thread alone. I never have had an issue with my system personally.

If my tanks have been off I simply open them and my fridge has fired every time the first time
Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #17
Site Team

Whenever I feel a need to purge the lines, I just turn on a burner on the stove until the air turns to propane and light it. Then let it burn for a minute or two.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #18

I had an Eagle 215SD from 1993 to 2011 and I always had to "purge" the lines after the FW sat for any length of time. I think it is just something that is unavoidable, even if you turn off the gas at the bottles. Even my newer, 2012, HT has that problem.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post

I never thought about that - could very well be the problem. This forum is the greatest!

Thanks guys for all the responses

PawPaw

Cypress, TX
Old 10-08-2014, 06:43 AM   #20

If you are really concerned that you have a leak and can't find it with the soapy water solution test, you can always take it in to the dealer. They should have a "snifter" that can sniff out even the smallest detectable leak.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote