Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2016, 02:46 PM   #1

Lug nut question

I bought a torque wrench to check on my lugnuts before trips. I absent mindedly forgot to do the star pattern on one wheel and just tightened in order. Do I nee d to loosen and redo, or is that a just don't do that again kind of thing?
Episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #2

Someone at sometime in my early life probably the high school auto teacher taught me to always use a star pattern, but just this last weekend I was at the tire store and noticed the tech using a pattern on my 19.5" wheels of top down side to side.
I was curious but didn't ask.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #3

If it were me, I'd just go ahead and loosen them and retighten using the correct pattern. The way you tightened them might have put some uneven torque on the brake drum. It's probably OK, but you never know.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #4

Here's my thoughts, if you didn't find any loose I would worry about it. The star pattern is usually for the initial tightening, once you believe they are tight you lower the tire to the ground and tighten again to torque specs. Once tight the pattern should not matter.
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner View Post
Here's my thoughts, if you didn't find any loose I would worry about it. The star pattern is usually for the initial tightening, once you believe they are tight you lower the tire to the ground and tighten again to torque specs. Once tight the pattern should not matter.
I don't need to raise tire off ground to do this ever, do I?
Episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:36 PM   #6

No you shouldn't, if its a painted wheel I would visibly check for rust streaks on the wheel. If you find rust normally that indicates a loose lug. On aluminum I just check them occasionally after the first few trips. Most of these trailers are towed from the factory so after a couple of times checking them they should be good until the next Spring or whenever you de winterize.
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote