Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #1

major accident averted

towed our 2012 184bh home from storage, about 4 miles to get prepared for a short camping trip. arriving home i noticed a smell near the passenger side wheel that to me smelled like the brake was hot. the short pull home is almost all level ground with no hard braking. doing the math i estimated we had towed it 150 miles since purchase. i assumed , as the owners manual suggested that the brakes may need to be adjusted. i made an appt. with my mechanic and took the tt to his shop today. he told me just to wait around as the adjustment should only take a few minutes. i was standing near the rear of the trailer when the mechanic began jacking up the drivers side wheel of the trailer.this is a single axle tt. as soon as the tire cleared the ground i saw the bottom of the tire tilt inward toward the tt. approx. 2 inches. my mechanics first response was wow, thats not good. not being a mechanic myself i dont know all the proper terminology , but the wheel bearing, the bearing race, and the large nut that secures the wheel in place were not fully seated and was allowing the wheel to wobble severely . the passenger side was the same, actually a little worse. i never felt the wobble while pulling the tt. had the nut backed off a bit further it could have sheared off the cotter pin and we could of had a wheel come off the tt. the bearings had not been destroyed so they were repacked, everything seated properly and finally the brakes adjusted. would suggest anyone with a new tt to take a few minutes and jack up your tt to inspect the wheels. anyone else had this issue?
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It's fortunate that you caught it when you did. I would contact your Jayco dealer and see if they can get you a reimbursement under a warranty service claim. Also, I would send Jayco an e-mail ASAP and advise them of what happened.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #3

This thread has been moved to "Jayco Problems and Issues"

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #4

We had a similar thing happen with a 10' quad trailer. The bearings were to loose and I ruined both tires before I noticed the wear pattern. When I jacked it up both sides were loose and inner and outter bearings were shot on both sides.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #5

I could not imagine if it was that loose, it did not get some major wearing on the race or the bearings.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #6

Unfortunately for us, we did experience a catastrophic failure of the starboard side wheel bearing and axle. We threw a wheel and luckily had a controlled trip onto the shoulder. The trailer was not too badly damaged except for the axle, wheel, and bumper skid plate. Luckily the local dealer performed a quick axle swap to get us on our way, but the whole incident has rattled my confidence in the Swift 184BH. We love this trailer, but after getting stranded for 2 days on vacation, it's hard to have a lot of faith.

My advice to all Swift 184BH Owners is to get your trailer to the dealer and have the bearings checked under warranty.

We were not overloaded. Tanks were empty and there was only clothing in the trailer. We hadn't even gotten groceries yet.

I will be following up with Jayco and will post what their response to this issue is.
ertwdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #7

Your dealer should have caught that on the PDI.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:23 AM   #8

Sorry to hear about your incident, but thankfully no one was injured. Ours is still at the dealers, we were suppose to hear from them yesterday but did not, we will make contact today. We are approaching 6 weeks of total down time due to this hub issue, but our main concern is getting this fixed correctly. I believe your advise is good for anyone with this tt to have it checked. As with you, our tt has never been overloaded or abused in any fashion.Please keep us updated and I will do the same........happy camping!
bayleightucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
We had a similar thing happen with a 10' quad trailer. The bearings were to loose and I ruined both tires before I noticed the wear pattern. When I jacked it up both sides were loose and inner and outter bearings were shot on both sides.
What was the wear pattern, my 17Z is only two years old and one tire has worn abnormally.
rip-cord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
It's fortunate that you caught it when you did. I would contact your Jayco dealer and see if they can get you a reimbursement under a warranty service claim. Also, I would send Jayco an e-mail ASAP and advise them of what happened.

Bob
I sent an e-mail to Jayco about the black water valve not closing because somebody dropped a piece of trim down the stool. Not the round cut out, but an actual piece of trim. There reply was "well, sometimes that happens." No offer to pay for the "outside" valve that I put on so the black water tank wouldn't leak, no I'm sorry. The dealership was more upset than Jayco. So, in my experience, sending an e-mail is well, useless.

Sorry to be negitive.

Rick "Grumpy" Bond
2004 Dodge 2500
2012 Jayco Eagle 330RLTS
NRA Endowment Member
VFW Life Member
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip-cord View Post
What was the wear pattern, my 17Z is only two years old and one tire has worn abnormally.

Both tires had bald spots at intervals all the way around. Some tread looked like new and in some places you could see the cords.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #12

Just an update...
The axles on 2012 184BH 's have been recalled due to a Dexter factory issue. If you own one, contact your dealer for support information. Be careful....nothing can dampen a holiday more that the wheel falling off the trailer 1500 miles from home.
ertwdan is offline   Reply With Quote