Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #1

micro/convection fire

Hi from Michigan. Just bought a 2014 Seneca last month and this past weekend was awaken at two am with the smell of something burning. I turned on all the lights and didn't see smoke so I went outside and no smoke smell. Came back in and discovered the smell was coming from the micro. I had a dish towel under the wire rack so it wouldn't rattle. The wire rack was very hot and started to burn the dish towel. I unplugged it. I never used the micro. It's a Frigidaire. Anyone else had or heard of such a thing happening? I called my dealer first thing Monday morning and they said they will call Jayco with my issue. Thanks, Chuck
ci4mynewf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #2

Not to downplay the problem, but unless JAYCO has changed, the one in your MH is a standard household unit so any issues would also be occuring in homes. When they used GE you could find the same unit at Home Depot the Frigidare is currently available at Lowes.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Wow, that`s scary especially since it was not even on.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #4

Most microwaves have 1 touch buttons for cooking and defrosting. Any inadvertent touch or bump could potentially set the microwave into a long cooking or defrost cycle.

If you are concerned, you should able to unplug it from inside an adjacent cabinet. As I recall, most new microwaves and air conditioners have GFI built into the plug so the plug must remain accessible for resetting.
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #5

I did unplug the unit. Called the dealer and they said they will call Jayco. That was Monday. I also emailed Jayco last Sunday and haven't heard back from anyone yet. I called Frigidaire today and they gave me a number to call and a tech will come to my house to look at it. Seems like Jayco or the dealer are not concerned about this problem. I just might call the tech to my house and save me the trip to the dealer. Hate to let Jayco and National off the hook. Thanks for the replies, Chuck
Old 10-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #6

I had a very similar problem with my folks 5th wheel (not jayco) a couple years ago. My wife and I borrowed it to go to Cedar Point for a weekend with some friends and when we got there, I plugged in the camper and a few minutes later I could smell burning electrical. I did the same as you, walked outside and no smell, walked back and and looked/sniffed around until I was lead to the convection mic. IT WAS GLOWING RED on the inside and something must have been malfunctioning because I could not hit any of the buttons to get it to stop. I then paniced and ran back outside and unpluged the camper. After a few minutes, I went back in and found where the mic was plugged into an outlet and just pulled that plug. When we got home, I removed the mic and my folks baught a replacement.
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #7

Would there be a delayed start setting on these convection/microwaves, like a residential range?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #8

I think these units were definitely haunted.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #9

I suspect that the problem is with the electronics being confused when you power up the RV from shore power. The Frigidaire microwave in my Greyhawk says on the label it is not designed to be "built-in" a cabinet. It is a residential unit with a residential exhaust fan. This is good in some respects i.e. it is a standard size and we can get standard replacements rather than RV specific versions. That said I doubt that it was designed to handle the shock, vibration. I also suspect that the constant plugging and unplugging the RV creates a voltage surge and could also add EMI (Electromagnetic interference) - RFI (Radio Frequency interference). A normal home microwave - especially a microwave with a hood fan - is very unlikely to be regularly plugged and unplugged from a home outlet. The voltage coming from campgrounds can be poor. All of these issues combined mean that the electronics can get confused and spontaneously start when AC power is applied. Not a good situation! We can help some of these by using an autoformer to smooth out the voltage. Another option is to unplug the microwave inside the coach but that is a nuisance.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #10

Update on my issue with the micro/oven. It took about two and a half weeks but someone from Jayco did get back with me and asked what the problem was. I think he was a tech. After I told him what happened he said with out hesitation he would send a new one to my house and for me to take it to the dealer for installation. We shall see what happens when I get it installed.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #11

FYI Update on my micro / fire post. Just got a recall in the mail from Jayco about the very issue I had. It said the micro could turn on by itself and possible burn anything inside the unit. The NHTSA # is 14V-196.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #12

Your previous post was from October of 2013...what took place in the past 7 months? Did the replacement one that was shipped to your house take care of the problem or have you been doing without a microwave since then?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:44 AM   #13

I had it shipped to my house then I took it in to the dealer about a month and a half ago. During that time in between I would use it then unplug it again.