Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 AM   #1

Multiple problems with brand new 2014 X19H

I recently purchased my X19H for the purpose of living in it short term while I am working at a job site a few hours from home (once job is over it will be used for family holidays). I have been staying in it for 9 nights so far and have already encountered a few problems that make me seriously doubt that Quality Control even entered the minds of anyone involved in this trailer from when it was being built all the way until when I drove it off the lot.

My first issue I found was that the P-trap under the kitchen sink was not connected. It took a substantial amount of water to leak before it seeped out from under the cabinets so I had a pretty big clean up job on my hands my first night out. I managed to fix this on my own but was disgusted by the attitude of the dealer when I phoned to complain about it. They just suggested that I should have known to check this before putting any water in the sink. They were made fully aware that I am a first time RV owner and that I wanted a very thorough walkthrough. If this is a common thing that all RV owners should know to check then they should have warned me about it.

Second thing I noticed is sloppy workmanship and clean up of debris from manufacturing. bits of sawdust and metal shavings in lots of places where things were attached to the walls and on the canvas piece that bridges the gap between the tent end and the body of the trailer. Also some of the trim mouldings are peeling off the walls. This is minor, but still unacceptable after paying so much for brand new rather than used.

Third, when I first used my furnace, the smell it emitted (and the smoke detetcor going off) had me thinking my trailer had an electrical fire that I couldn't find. Once I shut everything off, including my furnace, and got the air to clear, a quick Google search told me this is common.... yet another thing I should have been warned about in my walkthrough. Again, not a huge deal but very annoying nonetheless.

My latest issue, found on night #9, is that my water tank is leaking. It was bad enough that someone at the RV park shut the water supply to my trailer off while I was at work. I didn't know why my water was off so I turned it back on and didn't notice the water leaking from the water heater until a few hours later. The water appears to be leaking from a plastic plug that has ruptured on the end. I still need to live in this thing for another month but not sure how this will be possible with all of the problems I keep having.

I want to write an email to both Jayco and the dealer to complain about all these problems but the list keeps growing! Any suggestions on what I can do or who I can contact about this? I am a day's drive away from the dealer so towing back to them to fix it is not an option until this job ends. I am not at all impressed with this whole situation and am feeling cheated. Sorry for the long-winded rant, hopefully I won't need to add more to it!
Aleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Sounds like normal stuff to me. Actually you have less things wrong with yours than I had with mine...lol..You can get a new plug for the HW heater anywhere..just screw it in and tighten it. The furnace issue isn't anyones fault other than maybe the dealer not thinking to warn you. No harm done. As far as the sawdust and stuff mine was full of it. I removed all of the hatches and in and around the furnace,fridge,H/W and vacuumed it up. No big deal.

All of the things you are complaining about are standard issues in the RV industry no matter what manufacture you buy from. Are you using a water pressure regulator to lower the pressure of the city water? You need one
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

If you are at a campground ask someone for help. There are always at least 10 very smart RV'ers in a campground at any one time and I guarantee you they would be more than happy to come to your site and give you some advice. Trust me, I love it when someone needs help actually. it is fun for me lol
Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies. I have a co-worker staying in the same park who has been very helpful so far. At times when I read comments like these I wonder if my expectations are too high but when I talk to other RV owners in person they mostly tell me that all of these things are unacceptable even if they are not major problems.

I compare this purchase to buying a car. I would not accept finding debris left over from manufacturing to be left in the car as being normal. I would not expect to have to check hoses etc before taking my first drive. Any leaks would immediately go back to dealership for warranty repair regardless of how minor. The difference here is that I am living in it, and nowhere near anyone that can provide warranty service.

That being said, I have fixed everything on my own as quickly as possible, and will do the same with this plug as soon as I can find one. Maybe I just needed to vent my frustrations a little to clear my head and feel better about my purchase. Other than these annoying problems, I love it. It's just been an eventful first 10 days.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #5

Everything is supposed to be checked BY THE DEALER before giving you the unit. JAYCO has a list that dealer is supposed to check and mark off. It includes, putting water in the tank, checking the furnace, running water through the system under pressure which means he would have seen the leak. Poor dealer and poor PDI in my opinion.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

it is a big unstable box rolling down the highway at 65-70mph shaking and rattling multiple things loose and causing all kinds of issues....just like a house going through an earthquake..Rv ownership unfortunately requires a lot of "self fixing". Like I said before, I actually had more issues than you have with my brand new X17A but I just took care of them. Bathroom Door trim causing door not to close,loose P trap in bathroom vanity,upside down door catch and a few others.

and cars would be full of sawdust and metal shavings if they had wood and pieces were not assembled prior to being put in the car. It is simply a cleaner assembly process than RV's. They simply do not have the time to clean up the dust.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #7

The dealer is SUPPOSED to check everything, but I have never gotten a new RV that didn't have problems that should have been found. My last 2 Jayco trailers had the corner shower. Both had multiple leaks. I used 2 2.8 oz tubes of clear silicone before I stopped all the leaks in the last one and I think that the previous one was about the same. I had leaks on both sides and one big one under the pan.

On a Southwind class A a connection in the power box must have been loose, because I had smoke and burnt insulation. The water heater fittings weren't tight from the factory on a Jayco class C and water saturated the wood flooring and it buckled and had to be replaced. Unfortunately, these things are not uncommon.

I also recommend that you buy a water pressure gauge and pressure regulator. Some campgrounds have very high water pressure, especially if you are at the bottom of a hill. I would get these at a minimum.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-0...water+pressure
http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-1...water+pressure

Don't leave the gauge on all the time, as they tend to fail with constant use. Just use it to check the pressure and determine if you need the regulator and to check if the regulator is working properly if needed.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:57 AM   #8

It may be normal stuff, but it shouldn’t be acceptable. You buy a new vehicle you expect it to be clean. I have a 19H also and found all kinds of debris, sawdust and a cut up coffee can lid in mine. IMO, either the factory or the dealer should have it clean as a whistle before it is sold.
Also, a p-trap that isn’t connected and a leaky water tank is not normal. You have every right to vent and complain to the dealer.
My 19H goes to the dealer next week for them to look at the canvas leaking where it looks like it is pulling away from the camper. I have a few other minor issues also, things that I could fix, but the dealer made it sound like anything I fix or attempt to fix voids the warranty if it the problem persists.
I too question the quality and craftsmanship of these new campers. Many times I have questioned my decision to sell our old 1972 that I restored in the 4 months I have owned the 19H.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #9

By the way Aleko, is that Prince George, VA?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #10

Thanks for the quick replies. I have a co-worker staying in the same park who has been very helpful so far. At times when I read comments like these I wonder if my expectations are too high but when I talk to other RV owners in person they mostly tell me that all of these things are unacceptable even if they are not major problems.

I compare this purchase to buying a car. I would not accept finding debris left over from manufacturing to be left in the car as being normal. I would not expect to have to check hoses etc before taking my first drive. Any leaks would immediately go back to dealership for warranty repair regardless of how minor. The difference here is that I am living in it, and nowhere near anyone that can provide warranty service.

That being said, I have fixed everything on my own as quickly as possible, and will do the same with this plug as soon as I can find one. Maybe I just needed to vent my frustrations a little to clear my head and feel better about my purchase. Other than these annoying problems, I love it. It's just been an eventful first 10 days.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
You have every right to vent and complain to the dealer.
I have a few other minor issues also, things that I could fix, but the dealer made it sound like anything I fix or attempt to fix voids the warranty if it the problem persists.
I too question the quality and craftsmanship of these new campers. Many times I have questioned my decision to sell our old 1972 that I restored in the 4 months I have owned the 19H.
Of course we all have a right to vent and complain to the dealer but is that going to change anything? I would prefer to just avoid the dealer and fix it myself instead of being frustrated with someone.(my dealer is 1200km away from me ) They will likely just treat you worse if you start by complaining.
quality IMO isn't only with Jayco though. It is definitely industry wide. We as consumers are not going to change that. I do not get upset about things that I can not change
Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #12

One other thing you might consider is turning the water off when you are leaving the camper for extended periods of time. I know that many on here have mentioned that they do that just in case there is an issue while you're away, you won't return to a flooded camper interior.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #13

I have now purchased 2 Jayco hybrids new, and a pop-up, all over a 20 year period. My only complaint is exactly what you are experiencing. Most of it is small stuff, but annoying. On the whole though Jayco makes a solid product, its just that they have issues with fit and finish adjustments.

The only thing you can't blame Jayco for is the smell from the furnace. That's normal, and the furnace manual tells you to do a "first run" with all the windows open to flash off the manufacturing dust, etc. However, the dealer was supposed to tell you that as well. For how you're being treated, and the lack of proper walk through, I'd be contacting the owner personally.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #14

When we bought our first TT I had a very similar reaction to you. I was made aware that the furnace would smell horrible the first time you fired it up -- an I just couldn't understand if this is the case why the dealer doesn't do it on every RV the receive.

Then I too encounterd a lot of constrction debris. I was dismayed that this was somehow acceptable.

At one point reading these forums someone made the comment that all new RVs are deliverd as "some assembly required". It made me laugh at that moment -- and then I wondered why we all accept it. And we do accept it as you can see from the previous comments -- what you experieced is normal/typical things with a new TT.

I don't know what the solution is, I know both dealers and MFG are trying to cut as much cost out as possible in order to offer price points we will buy at while still making enough margin to keep the doors open and every thing we complain about they see as additional cost.

I guess I have come full circle, and am willing to deal with these minor problems that are discovered in a shake down trip or driveway camping vs having to pay another XXX $ for the unit to be perfect.

Hopefully these first 9 days have provide enough time to discover the issues and nothing more serious is in you future
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #15

Man, I read this stuff and am amazed. I musta had a really great dealer, or something good happened at the factory that day. Other than the factory not sealing around the bathroom tub faucet, I have not had one issue....knock on wood! The dealer is the last person to look it over before the customer. A good dealer should, and hopefully does go over the unit well. There is however no excuse for poor workmanship from the factory. I build a premium car brand, and yes sometimes things do get out, but that is far and few between.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Man, I read this stuff and am amazed. I musta had a really great dealer, or something good happened at the factory that day. .
That's how I feel only it's been that way with all unit's we've had. Of course we buy from the same dealership and I know the do a proper PDI and make sure everything is working.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Man, I read this stuff and am amazed. I musta had a really great dealer, or something good happened at the factory that day.
I'd like to echo that sentiment. We have had VERY few problems with our trailer. In fact, I can only think of two. Our towing plug got pinched somewhere along the way home the day of purchase (brought it back and dealer fixed it), and one of the pigtails off my propane regulator sprung a leak (again, replaced without hesitation or question, I did the "labor", they supplied the parts). Beyond these two little things, it's just the normal stuff, like I put a TINY tear in the roof membrane over my slide. The duct tape is still on there, but I'll fix it when it gets cooler outside. Other than that, I've spent most of my work on the trailer tinkering and making little improvements here and there, so far have not had to really "repair" anything.

After reading some of the posts on this forum and others, I count myself pretty lucky. One for choosing the right brand, and another for having a well built trailer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:52 PM   #18

The water leak from a "ruptured" plastic plug has me confused (and concerned). I don't understand why that would be happening. The first thing I thought was that there was no teflon tape around the threads of the plastic plug. However, the ruptured part doesn't sound right. You may want to give Jayco CS a call if your dealer ends up being a real horses "patoot".

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #19

As others have said, your dealer really let you down. The furnace "Burn-in" and the drains should have been completed done before delivery. Who
E you shouldn't have to do it, going thru the mechanicals on your own is frustration avoided.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 PM   #20

As many have mentioned, none of these issues are really major... just very annoying. The only one that really concerns me is the initial leak from the kitchen sink because the water got under my flooring. As for the leaky plug, the water was actually spewing from a circular crack on the end of the plug. I will get a new brass plug to replace it and all should be fine again.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to have problems like this and that I am not just being a crybaby about it. Thanks for the support and the tips as well! I took the advice of turning off the water before leaving the trailer unattended. One question though, should I be turning the water heater off as well when the water is shut off?

Tags
leak, p-trap, poor workmanship, water heater