Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #1

Mystery? Water Leaks

Had our WhiteHawk (27DSRL) out in a good ole' Florida frog strangler thunderstorm this weekend. Though it was after dark, figured it would be a good time to check for leaks, since the trailer has not been exposed to significant rain since we bought it. Wasn't disappointed, I found a few areas of water puddling within the frame on 3 windows, but I'm more perplexed by how it got there.

The window are made by Kinro and have the little "drain" slits in them. I thought the rain was running down the window on the inside and accumulating in the channel, but it wasn't. It appeared to actually be coming in and accumulating through the drain slits. The glass above the drains was not wet anywhere and the rain wasn't wind driven, just a good hard downpour. No wet walls or floors, and I want to keep it that way. Anyone have any thoughts? If I hadn't seen it I wouldn't have believed it either.

Oh, and I found water dripping out from under the interior side of the bedroom door window frame. The door header was dry, no water on the floor or interior wall, just dripping down the interior skin from under the screwed in window frame (Dexter product, I believe):lightning:. Sound like the window itself needs resealing?
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

The windows are installed dry without any caulk. If the rubber seal gets hard it may not seal properly.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
The windows are installed dry without any caulk. If the rubber seal gets hard it may not seal properly.
Thank you, but the water does not seem to be entering around the exterior seal, which is why this is so weird. If a seal problem, I would have expected to see water running down the interior surface of the glass, but it didn't. It actually seemed to be coming through the drain slits in the frame. It was most pronounced on the side of the trailer facing the direction the storm approached from. The water I observed running out from the interior side of the bedroom door window frame was on the lee side of the trailer relative to the direction of the storm. The next morning while looking at things from the exterior, I did notice the seal around the emergency exit window does not seem to fit tightly (or flush) to the sidewall at the top of the window, but there was practically no water in the frame on that window. Think I'll start with closely looking at the drains and go from there. Want to be sure I have a reason to return it to the dealer under warranty before I take it.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote