Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
New flooring - old is out, what to put in

I thought I had a plan. I have 27bh used TT and the prior owner took out the couch and the booth. A counter top is in place of the couch and we like it better anyway. But the rug was pretty soiled so it was removed, and the missing booth shows holes in the floor where it was. For sitting and eating, we found a used oak table and chairs that match the cabinets off craigslist. So...need to replace the flooring.

OK, had selected Shaw vinyl plank flooring with a teak style printed on it. Its waterproof, durable if you believe all the sales material. So I bought 100sf I needed (4 boxes @ about $50 a box). Today removed all the remaining sheet flooring and cleaned out the crud. I went to install and after reading the on-line install literature again, I realized it mentioned only installing in a space where its climate controlled not with big temperature swings. So I then called Mfg and after talking with tech guy think its probably wrong application. It expands and contracts a LOT, and floating floor is probably not good for this application, he recommended glue down vinyl.

Now back to square one.

I want it nice but its a used camper, not super cost is no object nice. I was however looking at solid bamboo 3/8" thick plank, $1.50 a SF and I can install myself. I have over 1000 SF of self-installed bamboo at home, I like it a lot. But its not particularly light and a bit thick, needs nailing down (although you can glue it). I wonder if nails would damage the TT flooring or what's under it.

Wife also mentioned just regular old 12x12" floor vinyl tile glue down, but can't find any I really like. The TT has the upgraded oak panel cabinets and looks good.

Any input on my project? I am taking pictures, I'll post some later.

New to me 27BH towed by 4.6 Tundra
Dirkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
I'm not sure a nail down wood floor is the right product. Your rig will be moving, twisting etc while driving and while parked. Also additional weight is a consideration. I would think a vinyl would be a better application. JMHO.

I agree a floating floor will not work properly.

2011 Toyota Tundra double cab
2015 27RLS
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:13 AM   #3
Why not something like this. It comes in different colors, looks like planks but it is glued down.

TrafficMASTER Allure Contract 6 in. x 36 in. Chatham Oak Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring (24 sq. ft. / case)-97411 - The Home Depot

Hope this helps.
Joe and Mary Anne
1 18 yr old DD
2014 Ram 2500 Diesel Laramie Mega Cab 4 X 4
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
Site Team
Shop for Luxury Vinyl Tile and read up on it. LVT
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
I would think anything permanently attached to the floor (glue or nails) might give you trouble unless it's inherently flexible at a wide range of temperatures. In my trailer and others, the vinyl floor is not glued down everywhere, so it's allowed to move and flex with the camper. Temperature or torsional movement or whatever, the vinyl floor "floats" over the ply wood floor.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #6
I would not recommend any wood flooring. It expands and contracts too much temperature and humidity changes. And the floor in your trailer flexes too much as you drive down the highway. I know it seems rigid, but if you lift one corner too much with a stabilizer jack, it can cause windows and doors to not operate properly - which is indicative of the frame (and floor) flexing.

Stick with a good vinyl flooring. There's a reason that is what the manufacturer uses. It is flexible and isn't susceptible to changes in humidity and temperature. And there are some really nice products out there. My Outback had a vinyl flooring that some people SWORE was cherry wood flooring!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #7
I pulled up the cracked vinyl flooring in my old fifth wheel and replaced it with those peel and stick tiles. That was 7 years ago (6 freezing winters) and they still look just like they did when new and they've even been "flooded" once!
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #8
Hmm.... Thanks for advice.
This is what I had bought. I was thinking I'd glue it down avoid issues with nails, and I don't have a flooring nailer anyway (one of the few tools I don't own yet )

Shop Shaw Wilmington 10-Piece 5.9-in x 48-in Plantation Teak Floating Teak Luxury Residential Vinyl Plank at Lowes.com

Its heavy at 30+ lbs a box, but looked good. The stuff at HD mentioned actually looks like its rated higher wear (light commerical) and I'll have to check it out. Looks like special order around here.

The Shaw mfg installer listed to my concerns and he recommended going with a glue down design not the interlocking floating - similar to the suggested oak flooring from HD. This is cheaper anyway, installer said the floating type acts like one huge bit and does have potential problems in RV install, he installs glue down all the time vs. floating.

I just thought gluing down the stuff would hold it together and the small space in RV would not expand and contract THAT much. Who knows. I have seen videos of people installing VP flooring in RV, but I'm storing mine not full timing it.

Well I'm going to table it for the day and finish some of the under counter work I have lined up, making a shelf and stuff where the prior owner had just ugly opening.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
Sent link of the HD vinyl plank recommended above to DW to look at. The stuff I have would probably work too, maybe over-thinking it, but the dire warnings on the install instructions were off-putting and don't want to waste my time and money installing the wrong product..and removing glued down is NOT fun.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #10
Crap, the video for the HD plank says specifically that do not install in non-temperature controlled areas, same as the product we have now. Looking at those LVTiles now.