Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #1

New flooring - old is out, what to put in

I thought I had a plan. I have 27bh used TT and the prior owner took out the couch and the booth. A counter top is in place of the couch and we like it better anyway. But the rug was pretty soiled so it was removed, and the missing booth shows holes in the floor where it was. For sitting and eating, we found a used oak table and chairs that match the cabinets off craigslist. So...need to replace the flooring.

OK, had selected Shaw vinyl plank flooring with a teak style printed on it. Its waterproof, durable if you believe all the sales material. So I bought 100sf I needed (4 boxes @ about $50 a box). Today removed all the remaining sheet flooring and cleaned out the crud. I went to install and after reading the on-line install literature again, I realized it mentioned only installing in a space where its climate controlled not with big temperature swings. So I then called Mfg and after talking with tech guy think its probably wrong application. It expands and contracts a LOT, and floating floor is probably not good for this application, he recommended glue down vinyl.

Now back to square one.

I want it nice but its a used camper, not super cost is no object nice. I was however looking at solid bamboo 3/8" thick plank, $1.50 a SF and I can install myself. I have over 1000 SF of self-installed bamboo at home, I like it a lot. But its not particularly light and a bit thick, needs nailing down (although you can glue it). I wonder if nails would damage the TT flooring or what's under it.

Wife also mentioned just regular old 12x12" floor vinyl tile glue down, but can't find any I really like. The TT has the upgraded oak panel cabinets and looks good.

Any input on my project? I am taking pictures, I'll post some later.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:42 PM   #2

I'm not sure a nail down wood floor is the right product. Your rig will be moving, twisting etc while driving and while parked. Also additional weight is a consideration. I would think a vinyl would be a better application. JMHO.

I agree a floating floor will not work properly.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:13 AM   #3

Why not something like this. It comes in different colors, looks like planks but it is glued down.

TrafficMASTER Allure Contract 6 in. x 36 in. Chatham Oak Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring (24 sq. ft. / case)-97411 - The Home Depot

Hope this helps.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Shop for Luxury Vinyl Tile and read up on it. LVT
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:26 AM   #5

I would think anything permanently attached to the floor (glue or nails) might give you trouble unless it's inherently flexible at a wide range of temperatures. In my trailer and others, the vinyl floor is not glued down everywhere, so it's allowed to move and flex with the camper. Temperature or torsional movement or whatever, the vinyl floor "floats" over the ply wood floor.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:28 AM   #6

I would not recommend any wood flooring. It expands and contracts too much temperature and humidity changes. And the floor in your trailer flexes too much as you drive down the highway. I know it seems rigid, but if you lift one corner too much with a stabilizer jack, it can cause windows and doors to not operate properly - which is indicative of the frame (and floor) flexing.

Stick with a good vinyl flooring. There's a reason that is what the manufacturer uses. It is flexible and isn't susceptible to changes in humidity and temperature. And there are some really nice products out there. My Outback had a vinyl flooring that some people SWORE was cherry wood flooring!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:32 AM   #7

I pulled up the cracked vinyl flooring in my old fifth wheel and replaced it with those peel and stick tiles. That was 7 years ago (6 freezing winters) and they still look just like they did when new and they've even been "flooded" once!
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #8

Hmm.... Thanks for advice.
This is what I had bought. I was thinking I'd glue it down avoid issues with nails, and I don't have a flooring nailer anyway (one of the few tools I don't own yet )

Shop Shaw Wilmington 10-Piece 5.9-in x 48-in Plantation Teak Floating Teak Luxury Residential Vinyl Plank at Lowes.com

Its heavy at 30+ lbs a box, but looked good. The stuff at HD mentioned actually looks like its rated higher wear (light commerical) and I'll have to check it out. Looks like special order around here.

The Shaw mfg installer listed to my concerns and he recommended going with a glue down design not the interlocking floating - similar to the suggested oak flooring from HD. This is cheaper anyway, installer said the floating type acts like one huge bit and does have potential problems in RV install, he installs glue down all the time vs. floating.

I just thought gluing down the stuff would hold it together and the small space in RV would not expand and contract THAT much. Who knows. I have seen videos of people installing VP flooring in RV, but I'm storing mine not full timing it.

https://youtu.be/b5MgGW9gfYc

Well I'm going to table it for the day and finish some of the under counter work I have lined up, making a shelf and stuff where the prior owner had just ugly opening.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #9

Sent link of the HD vinyl plank recommended above to DW to look at. The stuff I have would probably work too, maybe over-thinking it, but the dire warnings on the install instructions were off-putting and don't want to waste my time and money installing the wrong product..and removing glued down is NOT fun.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #10

Crap, the video for the HD plank says specifically that do not install in non-temperature controlled areas, same as the product we have now. Looking at those LVTiles now.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #11

Here are some pictures for entertainment purposes. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440686740706.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	19862Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440686782916.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	19863Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440686803485.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	19864Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440686856035.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	19866
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1440686846740.jpg  
Old 08-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440686977215.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	19867Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440687007307.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	19868
Old 08-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #13

Is that plywood in the third picture (under the window) wet? Does that window have a leak?

You didn't mention having to repair a leak in the first post, so I'm curious.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #14

I know it looks like its rotted, but its just a stain. I've owned it for about a year now and we've had torrential rain and its stone-dry and very solid. The prior owner may have left the windows open, similar stain by Master bed. I looked at about 10 TT before buying this one, its solid but has some interior work needed.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #15

A friend of mine bought an old used TT, with an ugly interior. One of the things he did ispurchased vinyl peel and stick linoleum. The pieces were similar in size to floating floor, and looks the part. It is a very nice looking floor and did not cost him a fortune.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Is that plywood in the third picture (under the window) wet? Does that window have a leak? .
Look below the window, that is a wheel well, and it is all centered on it. I bet if it has leaked it is from rain while driving.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #17

Unrelated question - also need an accordian style room divider, track and everything, was removed from TT by prior owner. I thought of making a curtain too, but try this first. I searched on RV room divider on camping world, ebay, amazon, etc.... what are they called and anyone seen one for sale?
Old 08-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Look below the window, that is a wheel well, and it is all centered on it. I bet if it has leaked it is from rain while driving.
I'm in the Houston area, its a 07 trailer, and we had a hurricane come through between then and now. 100mph winds will have water come through just about most windows and doors, the ones in my house leaked so I don't doubt that this got wet too. Its super solid, and dry. No moisture at all under the sheet material.

Well, I might be OK with the LVP, but after the mfg warnings and cost per SF is so much more, taking it back and looking the 12" tiles which everyone says seem to be impervious and low maintenance which is what we're looking for in a camper with kids and all.

I just finished some cabinet work under the countertop the prior owner installed. He had roughed in with unfinished pine under it and looked a bit rough. I took a bunch of wood scrap from the shop and its looking pretty good now, although I'm going to put a front on the trash can slider and make a oak trimmed shelf above the heater that is much more finished looking. We use this for a large storage container we put food in since we're in/out of it for weekend trips and don't store food on board, its nice to just load it up and slide it in.

More on the floor after I get new flooring.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #19

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440794223511.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	19882Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1440794245111.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	19883

My orbital sander broke (pad rubber came apart) so I will have to sand and finish this later. Didn't want to wait for the hard to find part to be delivered. Some of the bits were already finished from being parts left over from other projects, that's why the finish is so crazy looking. Everything is oak so it should be close enough. The solid parts are quarter sawn oak, a bit overkill but it was in the bin already!

Oh and disclaimer - the edge of the countertop is not my work! It has a rookie type edge fit, big nail holes, horrible drippy gloss poly on it - from original owner. I will resand it and try to get joints tighter maybe when I finish the bottom part. Hasn't been priority. FYI, the countertop is made from ceramic floor tiles on plywood... a bit heavy but works and we do short hauls flat land don't worry about it.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #20

I put in the newer floating vinyl flooring. It's much thicker than the older vinyl and so much easier to work with. To do it right you'll need to pull out some of the fixtures to put it underneath (i.e. benches & table) so it doesn't move a whole lot once installed. I used butcher paper to create a pattern and then just rolled it out and did the final fitting in the trailer. I went over the old flooring and spread a leveling material to make sure every thing was smooth. Any imperfection (no matter how slight) in what you lay it on will show through. In my case that was the pattern in the old vinyl. I found that about the cheapest place to buy the vinyl in our area (Seattle) is at Lowe's.
rgoudie is offline   Reply With Quote