Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

New owner 99 jayco, how do i run frig on gas????

I bought a used 99 jayco eagle with refrigerator that can run on batt, 120v, or lp gas. I am at a loss on how to get the frig to run on gas. Couple questions:
Do I need the battery hooked up to run on gas? How do I get the frig to run on gas from square 1? We are getting ready to camp for 5 days with no electric. How much gas will it take to keep frig cold those 5 days? If I do need battery to run frig with gas, will it last all 5 days? Thanks for replies, heading out in 5 days.
jairme11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #2

There should be a switch on the front of the refrigerator that you can toggle from (I think) auto, electric, gas. On auto it runs on electric, if power goes out it switches to gas.
paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

Thanks for info, I have a switch in my utility box it has gas, electric, and auto. I have it set on gas but there is another section that looks like it might be a pilot light of some sort along with a dial from 1 - 5. Still no cold from refrigerator after just setting to gas.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #4

You do need battery power (or shore power) to operate the refrigerator's controls even if you have it set to operate on gas. Doubtful that one battery would run those refrigerator controls + the propane leak detector that you probably have + and lights you may need for 5 days. One full bottle of propane will be plenty for 5 days.

As far as testing the refrigerator is concerned, first make sure you have propane. Then light the range until the burners operate smoothly (this purges air from the system). Then make sure your battery is charged, or that you are plugged in to shore power. Then see if your refrigerator works on gas. Keep in mind that RV refrigerators take a while to begin to get cold.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #5

If it is a 99 you may have some sort of manual ignitor that you have to push while turning the gas valve. What brand is it?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #6

i had an older 3 way and had to light it manualy. Also It had sat unused for a few years a the rust particals from the flew had fallen into the burner and clog it. I took the burner out and cleaned it. after that it worked great
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #7

It is a Jayco SO12 eagle, I have tried to use the burner inside and no luck, have plenty of propane in the tank, any ideas where i might be messing up, I have turned the valve inside the utility box to on so I know that all the valves are open. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #8

Does the pilot light have to be lit in order to get propane to the cooktop?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jairme11 View Post
Does the pilot light have to be lit in order to get propane to the cooktop?
Do you mean the pilot light in the oven? If your's is like mine, no; the pilot light in the oven is for lighting the oven. We used to light the cooktop on my older trailer with a BBQ butane lighter.

By your question, do you mean that you have not been able to get the cooktop burners lit? That's important because if the cooktop burners won't light, that is almost a guarantee that your refrigerator won't light because there's some issue with the propane system.

I would strongly encourage you to check all propane connections for leaks with a soapy water solution. You can do this by putting a small amount of water in a can and adding a squirt of liquid soap. Use a paint brush to make suds, and apply the suds carefully to all piping connections. Look for bubbles getting bigger - if there are any, you have a leak.

You do have the valve on the top of the propane tank turned on, right?

Does your propane leak detector work???? It needs to!
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #10

I had a 1998 Eagle 12SO. To use the refrigerator on gas all I did was select gas on the switch. The refrigerator will not cool very well on battery, it will only maintain once you have cooled it on shore power or gas.
Does the stove light? If not you may have a bad gas regulator.
If you are only using the battery for the refrigerator it should last a long time. Using lights or the furnace without shore power will definitely shorten the run time.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #11

FYI - The fridge in my 98 eagle has an automatic ignitor. The Norcold units used in 98-99 have been problematic though with the ignitor boards. There is a company called Dinosaur Electronics that I believe makes replacement parts if that is your problem. As others have mentioned, it will use little to no propane, but unless you opt to run no lights the entire time, you will likely need a means to recharge your battery or add a second one.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #12

Thanks for pointers, I think I may have a bad regulator, I am not getting gas anywhere, the propane detector is powered on. I will try the leak check. Will update, by the way anyway to tell if the regulator is bad other than tearing into it?