Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Plumbers putty

Anyone else had issues with the plumbers putty in the sick drains and around the sinks themselves. We have a 29L with the outside kitchen so we have three sinks total with the inside kitchen and the bathroom sink. It just looks like it was applied by a 3rd grader, could have used 10% of what they did and would have been sufficient.
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #2

Can't say that on my TT. Maybe it was a new person learning on the assembly line?

I can say that I looked at ALL RV's by different manufactures and Jayco has the best build quality by far than the others.
2007 Jayco Jayfeather 29A
Crackshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #3

I had Putty all over the drain area of my kitchen sinks. It got all over my dishes during our first trip out. I took my trailer back to the dealer and had it cleaned up under warrenty.
OffTheGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #4

It is very common on new drain installations. It is hard to get a good feel for how tight to tightnen the backing nut, and then the putty oozes out. All that needs to be done is to snug up the nut underneath the sink and wipe up the putty with a paper towel. I can assure you that it was pretty and perfect when it left the factory, a little time, some hot water, and then the drain sets better in the sink. I have seen it many times, and it happend with our new house, and our new travel trailer.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #5

They used butyl on our sink drain; it was more difficult to clean up than plumber's putty. For the butyl, I had to use a little paint thinner.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #6

Just got a new trailer. Had extra putty in the sink. Wasn't there before buying. I'm guessing the Tech that did PDI actually checked the drain connection and tightened it causing the putty to squeeze out. I pointed it out and he cleaned it right up.

Last new trailer I bought had a leak at the sink connection first time out. Tech didn't check it. I just had to tighten it by hand.
Capstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #7

Had excess putty in both kitchen sinks. Wiped off with my finger (similar to smoothing caulk), and cleaned with a paper towel.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #8

I used some goo gone and then ran my fingernail along the drain to remove the excess...just don't remove to much...keep checking for leaks if you do this just too make sure...
huskerdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #9

Use WD-40 to clean the putty mess in your sinks, it really does work.
paflyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Site Team

Go out and dine at a fast food restaurant and take a plastic knife or two home with you. Then trim off the excess putty using it. Do not trim by pulling the knife through the putty around the circumference of where you want to trim as it may pull some of the putty out from under what's being sealed- leaving gaps. Trim by placing the blade against the object where you want to trim the excess putty from and press down. Toss the knife away when you're finished.

My 2000 Eagle had excess putty oozing from both kitchen and bathroom sinks. I left it that way for years until it started to get crappy looking. Then I trimmed it.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote