Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Tech and Tow > Jayco Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2017, 09:04 PM   #1

Power tongue jack only works when plugged in to tow vehicle.

So what's up with that? My power jack only works when it's plugged into my tow vehicle. Shouldn't it work regardless? I checked the light on the front of my jay flight 26bh and that works and I'm getting power from the battery so could the jack not be Hooked up properly?
Studiovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes it should work on the trailer battery. Check batt voltage and continuity to the power jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #3

This happened to us a couple weeks ago. The fuse was blown on the jack. It is the 30A blade style automotive (not the mini) fuse that is in the fuse holder outside the camper near the battery.

Another person posted the same issue the other day and I think he said when he went out to check the fuse that the fuse was fine but there is a wire nut I think in that electrical box that was loose. Either way take a look at the wiring and the fuse in that box, around the battery and you will likely find your issue. It should work on battery power.

One thing to note, I normally leave mine hooked up to the TV while unhooking and leveling if I am dry camping. That jack and the slide takes a lot of juice from the battery. This weekend it isn't a big deal because we have hookups.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
This happened to us a couple weeks ago. The fuse was blown on the jack. It is the 30A blade style automotive (not the mini) fuse that is in the fuse holder outside the camper near the battery.

Another person posted the same issue the other day and I think he said when he went out to check the fuse that the fuse was fine but there is a wire nut I think in that electrical box that was loose. Either way take a look at the wiring and the fuse in that box, around the battery and you will likely find your issue. It should work on battery power.

One thing to note, I normally leave mine hooked up to the TV while unhooking and leveling if I am dry camping. That jack and the slide takes a lot of juice from the battery. This weekend it isn't a big deal because we have hookups.

Fuse was fried. Not sure what could have happened. Brand new trailer only camped in once lol. Glad it was a simple fix.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #5

If you run the jack to the end, they tend to blow the fuse. It is well worth, purchasing auto reset circuit breaker fuse for the tongue jack. It will save you lots of headaches

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studiovette View Post
Fuse was fried. Not sure what could have happened. Brand new trailer only camped in once lol. Glad it was a simple fix.
Ours is brand new as well. As stated, if you hit the limit up or down it will blow. Also I think it might blow if you are lifting the back of the truck too much to put on or take off the WD bars. I think that is what happened to me. I didn't hit the limit on range of motion.

I bought a big pack of 30a fuses but might go with the circuit breaker. We are on our 4th trip right now and so far have gone through two fuses. When we were unhooking at the current site there was a 30a fuse on the ground. The wife asked if I blew another one. I said no but there is proof we are not the only ones to do this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
Ours is brand new as well. As stated, if you hit the limit up or down it will blow. Also I think it might blow if you are lifting the back of the truck too much to put on or take off the WD bars. I think that is what happened to me. I didn't hit the limit on range of motion.

I bought a big pack of 30a fuses but might go with the circuit breaker. We are on our 4th trip right now and so far have gone through two fuses. When we were unhooking at the current site there was a 30a fuse on the ground. The wife asked if I blew another one. I said no but there is proof we are not the only ones to do this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

glad I'm not the only one either then. Come to think of it I do recall the jack making some crazy sounds on its own after I had finished bringing it down. It was like someone was still holding the button down. I didn't realize it then because the next day we left and I was plugged into the tow vehicle and it worked but I realized it the day after when I unhitched at my storage place.

I am having a electrician friend of mine help me hook up and mount my backup cam tomorrow and a battery cutoff switch and I will see if he can do that also if I can get a breaker locally at a automotive shop.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #8

Hey guys I will be adding a auto reset breaker and wanted to make sure I buy the right one. Should I go with a blade type like this

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Reset-Bl...breaker+30+amp

Or
https://www.amazon.com/ConPus-Marine...breaker+30+amp
Old 06-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

I think most people tend to go with the blade version, as it is a plug and play setup.

However, the marine version might be better, as these things tend to be outside, in the box exposed to more weather.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote