Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-24-2014, 03:11 PM   #1

Propane alarm

I keep my trailer in storage since I can't park it at my house for more than a day or so. I've never had any kind of RV before so I know quite little about them. I'm a diesel mechanic by trade though so I'm usually ok at figuring it out.

I've used this Jayflight G2 once since we bought it and it's been in storage for about six weeks. I went down today because thr dealer told me that it takes the refrigerator 2 days to cool down before we can load food in. I opened my propane tanks and turned my fridge on which is some sort of norcold. My battery says it has 2/3 charge. I sat there for a few minutes to see if it was working but I couldn't tell if it waa cooling or not. I figured I'd leave it running and come back in the morning. As I was getting ready to leave an alarm started going off. After a brief search I found it was the propane alarm under the dining table thing that lowers into a bed. I hooked the light cord up to the TV and it stopped. I turned the stove and oven on and they worked. I couldn't get any hot water to come from the sink but that may be because the tank is almost empty.

Tomorrow I'm going down to get it and I'll plug it into my house overnight before we leave friday morning. When we had it plugged in last time at the house and at the campsite it worked fine.

If it is the batteries going dead would a solar panel help? I suppose i could leave the TV hooked to it but that seems like it'd just run that battery down too. Besides it said I had 2/3 charge. How much does it need to run the fridge?

Sorry if I'm rambling on, I'm just out of ideas and wondering if anybody whose more experienced can help. Thanks in advance.
Diesel wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #2

There are always small draws running on the TT when it's in storage (radio display, propane alarm, etc). If the battery drops too low, then the propane alarm will sound. Solar is always an option, however we just unhook the negative cable from the battery if it's going to be in storage for longer than 2 weeks to keep the battery from running down.

Agreed regarding the fridge, always good to let it cool down a day or so before taking the rig out. There is no fan or anyway to hear the fridge running. If you feel the outside chimney, you should feel the warmth of the heating unit so you know it's working. A small fridge fan will help circulate the air in the fridge for more even cooling.

You will not have hot water in your rig unless you lite your hot water heater and give it time to warm up.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

When you turn on your fridge, put your hand on the walls inside of the freezer. You should be able to feel it starting to get cold within just a few minutes. It will cool down faster on gas than electric. It shouldn't take more than 6 hours or so for it to cool down to your set temp. At least that is how all the one's I have owned work. I keep a fridge thermometer in ours to monitor it.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #4

You can hear it running on gas if you listen closely. When you first turn on the propane, you may need to bleed the line of air, I light the stove for a minute or so. Once that's done, you can flip the switch on the fridge to gas, if it's quiet (and your battery is connected and charged), you should be able to hear the ignition clicking trying to light the fridge. Once it's lit, you can hear the propane burning if you put your ear up to the outside vent, it sounds like any other propane flame, like a really tiny jet, a low rumbling whooshing sound.

I concur with the propane alarm sounding being the result of a low charge on the battery.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #5

The gas indicator on the refrigerator should be on steady. If it is flashing the refrigerator failed to light. You need to get the air out of the line as Camper bob stated. Then turn the refrigerator off and back on again to restart the process.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
The gas indicator on the refrigerator should be on steady. If it is flashing the refrigerator failed to light. You need to get the air out of the line as Camper bob stated. Then turn the refrigerator off and back on again to restart the process.
Yup, completely forgot about the obnoxious blinking lights! DOH! That would be a pretty good indicator!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote