Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #1

rain water leak help

Hello, my name is Dan. I'm new to the forum here. I have a 2002 jayco 285bhs 5er with a mystery water leak. I had to replace my taillights this year and when i took the old ones off i discovered the wood was very damp mostly behind the passenger side. I later on added a hitch and wiring for my boat. We cut into the tail lights for the power and we ran wire loom down and out the bottom of the camper right in front of the bumper. When we cut the black "felt" type floor covering a ton of water came pouring out. Since then every time it has rained water will run out of the cut. The wood is somewhat rotten on the bottom of the rear wall. I can't figure out where its coming from at all.
I have sealed up all the rear joints, the rear awning screws, taillights, etc... I am not sure if its coming from somewhere further up the roof or maybe around the ac? Anyone ever had a similar leak? If it was leaking by my ac and running back, would it not impact the rest of the roof on its way to the rear? I have no other signs of water in the camper at all except for under the bottom bunk in that back right corner. There is a storage compartment and the rear of that is rotten, which would be the gap from the back wall. Any help would be appreciated.
dieseldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #2

Have you checked up at the roof line where the roof and back wall meet and are sealed? ( water leaking down the face of the back outer wall )

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

RV leaks can sometimes be difficult to find, but here are some thoughts that come to mind:

* Rear wall/Roof seam and Sidewall/Roof seams (especially along the gutter rails).
* Roofing material rip.
* Roof vents, stink pipes, skylights, etc.
* Marker lights.

To check the A/C seal, remove the grill from the interior ceiling and inspect the wood around that area.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #4

All seems to be good there. The roof wraps down the rear wall about 1 inch and its all tight all the way across. I have sealed every seam that looked bad in the back of the camper. There is such a puddle of water that comes out after each rain that i can't understand how it isn't more obvious as to where its going in. Is there a layer of aluminum in the ceiling that would allow water to run backwards without being in contact with the ceiling material? If it were leaking around my ac?
Old 05-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There isn't any metal material on the roof structure, but like any roof leak it will find the path of least resistance.

As far as the ceiling, if the ceiling surface has raised "dimples" in any area that is a sign of moisture damage.

I mentioned the gutter rails because if water gets "behind" them the moisture will search out the screws and work it's way into the roof/wall structure...., it happened on my 2005 Eagle.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #6

If you have a window in the back of the trailer that could be your source. The windows are put in WITH OUT caulk.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:05 AM   #7

I don't seem to have any dimples or brown spots of any kind, except around a few of the staples that hold the ceiling material to the upper plywood. They are all a little brown, even on the slide. Other than that i have no noticeable signs. I also have no rear window. I will have to check the side gutters a little more. I did towards the back, but if its leaking somewhere forward of that then it could be my problem.
Old 05-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #8

Rain in the forecast? Throw and secure a plastic tarp over the roof line and see if you still get water. ( processs of elimination)

Just thinking out loud

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 05-11-2014, 08:03 AM   #9

I live in central MN, we have definitely had our share of rain every other day. I will try and get outside to look over a few things. I do appreciate all the help on this.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #10

Be sure to post an update when you figure it out.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 05-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #11

How about having someone hose down the roof, starting front to back, while you watch the area that the water is gathering. When you start to see water, it should give you a general idea. Go slow because it might take some time to reach the back wall.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #12

Well i think i found my leaks. I took the vinyl strip out of the c channel that connects the roof to the walls. The last 4 screws on each end on the lowest point were rusted and water logged when i took them out. Some were so rusted that the threads rotted away. I also noticed that the end of each vinyl strip was tight on the end of the c channel so they could never really drain properly. The rain water had washed down years of dust/dirt into the c channel and it backed up perfectly to the 4th screw up on each corner. This dirt held the water and it just ran down the screws. As soon as you went to the 5th screw up the head wasn't rusty and there was no dirt on the vinyl strip.

I ended up taking JB water weld putty and putting it over each screw hole. Then i drove the screws half way in, then i coated them with goop marine sealant, and then drove them in. I also opened up the ends of the vinyl so hopefully it will drain better instead of trapping the water in the c channel. Its supposed to rain for 3 days so i will let you guys know what happens.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #13

Good luck

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 09-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #14

I have same problem. I did the hose test because it was only right side in storagw compartment. I torn lower 12 inches of wall off and sprayed hose from outside. It ended up being my taillight. Bottom side of it. I took old chalk off and when i got taillight out it has no sealer on the bottom. Thats exactly were the leak was. So i bought that sealer tape from local jayco dealer. Did it all around and sprayed again. No leak. Now gotta get inside done
dj4svt is offline   Reply With Quote