Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2016, 09:38 PM   #1

Removing Slide Trim...

The top bulb (not wiper) seal on the main slide of my 2015 27RLS falls out of the track every time I close the slide. It is a two piece seal like the one below.
The issue is that the portion that is stapled to the header was incorrectly installed and parts of it are wide enough that the bulb slips out.
Anyway, I am thinking about replacing the seal, however, with all the wood trim around around the slide, I don't think I can get in there to properly secure the new piece. Has anyone taken off the wood trim around their slide? Are there any "gotchas" that I should know about?

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #2

You are still under warranty. I guess you had rather do it yourself than have the dealer do it? considering the ramifications if a leak should occur, I would want it documented by the dealer and fixed accordingly so that if any problems occurred from this in the future, the dealer would be responsible. Just my personal opinion, and as we all know, everyone has one! LOL

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:27 AM   #3

Just a side note, I would think the track size on all these slides would be the same. Can't imagine one being too big. More than likely the seal itself has gone bad or was bad in the first place. I would think a new seal would/should fix the problem. Then of course they need a little lubrication every now and then as well to make them slide properly.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:03 AM   #4

Mine did that as well. Just used some clear sealer and kind of glued it back in place. If you want to remove the fascia, usually the corner block trim pieces and center piece are pin nailed on and can be easily removed my gently prying. The long fascia board itself? I don't know on this one, but some are pin nailed, some have screws once the decorative blocks and center piece are removed. Just remember, once the fascia is removed, there's almost just as much 1x behind that.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
You are still under warranty. I guess you had rather do it yourself than have the dealer do it? considering the ramifications if a leak should occur, I would want it documented by the dealer and fixed accordingly so that if any problems occurred from this in the future, the dealer would be responsible. Just my personal opinion, and as we all know, everyone has one! LOL
I haven't decided if I want to take it in yet. I had it in last year for this, their "solution" was to put the bulb seal back in the track. Of course as soon as the slide was retracted the first time, it promptly fell out

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 04-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Mine did that as well. Just used some clear sealer and kind of glued it back in place. If you want to remove the fascia, usually the corner block trim pieces and center piece are pin nailed on and can be easily removed my gently prying. The long fascia board itself? I don't know on this one, but some are pin nailed, some have screws once the decorative blocks and center piece are removed. Just remember, once the fascia is removed, there's almost just as much 1x behind that.
Yes, I tried that with some silicon sealant, but it did not hold. Do you remember what kind of glue you used?

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 04-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Just a side note, I would think the track size on all these slides would be the same. Can't imagine one being too big. More than likely the seal itself has gone bad or was bad in the first place. I would think a new seal would/should fix the problem. Then of course they need a little lubrication every now and then as well to make them slide properly.
Yes I think they are all the same. On mine, it looks like where the staples are driven in is what causes the track to open up. You can see it a little bit in the original photo.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 04-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #8

Just some geocel proflex since I had it on hand. I wanted to be able to remove later if need be without tearing it up, so used a sealer. Yours could be worse if it still came out. Mine was on the ends. On ours, it was definitely not worth removing the track, but, the inner / outer track and wiper system is one piece. I believe it's the EK seal system. I've had a few varieties of them, but feeling in between the wipers, ours is the type that slides over the wall opening and is stapled inside and out.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Just some geocel proflex since I had it on hand. I wanted to be able to remove later if need be without tearing it up, so used a sealer. Yours could be worse if it still came out. Mine was on the ends. On ours, it was definitely not worth removing the track, but, the inner / outer track and wiper system is one piece. I believe it's the EK seal system. I've had a few varieties of them, but feeling in between the wipers, ours is the type that slides over the wall opening and is stapled inside and out.
That was my concern too. If I used a sealant that was too good, and it didn't work, then I would have no choice but to remove the seal.
Still pondering the "return to dealer" option. However, we use our trailer a lot, I really do not want to let them have it for weeks during the spring.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 04-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #10

Totally understand. We live in ours, so dealer is never an option.