Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #1

rocking trailer

My trailer will still rock with the Jacks down. Any way to stop or lessen this
camper brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:54 PM   #2

Long as your on rubber tires, your going to have some movement of the trailer. If your stationary for a few days you may need to tighten the leveling jacks from time to time.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper brown View Post
My trailer will still rock with the Jacks down. Any way to stop or lessen this
X-Chocks really help.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:23 AM   #4

Haven't tried them but many say the JT Strongarm style bars are the best. I plan on putting a set on my trailer eventually.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
X-Chocks really help.

x2

I use these as well and they truly keep the "forward-to-back" motion under control.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:46 AM   #6

I use the BAL Chock n Lock - one for each side. Not only do they eliminate the front-to-rear rocking, they serve as wheel chocks.

Love mine!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #7

+1 on the BAL X-Chocks.

I've considered adding Strong-Arms, but I'm not ready to spend the money on that just yet. I've considered bolting another set of scissor jacks to the frame right in front of my axles, but just haven't gotten there.

So for now, I use these: Amazon.com: Camco 44560 Olympian Aluminum Stack Jack Stand - 4 pack: Automotive

For around $30, they do pretty well. For now I just use two, one on each side of the frame just in front of the axles. The idea is to take some of the flex out of the setup; with suspension in the middle of the trailer, I figure that's the best I'm going to do. Between the X-chocks and these stab jacks, it's pretty solid for me, and I have a pretty long trailer.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #8

+1 on the BAL X-chocks IF you have the standard separation axle setup on your TT. If you have the wide ride setup the extended model X-chocks don't work as well.
I think the only way to get your TT really solid is to jack some weight off the suspension using scissor jacks or bottle jacks or the like and then extending your stabilizers to support the frame front and rear. As was said, as long as the weight of the trailer is being carried by the suspension and tires the trailer is going to rock, no way around it.
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ661 View Post
I think the only way to get your TT really solid is to jack some weight off the suspension using scissor jacks or bottle jacks or the like and then extending your stabilizers to support the frame front and rear..
Not to be argumentative, but DO NOT use scissor jacks or bottle jacks to take pressure off the suspension before lowering the stabilizers. This topic has come up many times. The reason is this - the trailer frames are not designed for this type of upward pressure except for what is resting on the suspension. If you do so, it can twist the frame, causing all kinds of problems with the upper structure over time - seals, seams (especially fiberglass), and the crimped joints where roof meets sides. In the short run, doors may not close or latch properly. (The owner's manual warns against using jacks, except to change tires.)

The trailer comes with stabilizers, and not jacks, for that reason. Once your trailer is level, extend any slides, then lower the stabilizers, applying just a bit of down pressure at each corner, but not enough to affect leveling. That, along with the X-Chocks will make your trailer fairly stable, with no rocking.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 05-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #10

SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
I use the BAL Chock n Lock - one for each side. Not only do they eliminate the front-to-rear rocking, they serve as wheel chocks.

Love mine!

Have you used the cheaper standard model? Are these better? Don't mind the price. Will they fit in between the axels on my Jayfeather 213 that seem pretty close together. Thanks
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Will they fit in between the axels on my Jayfeather 213 that seem pretty close together. Thanks
I found an online RV parts store that sells them and the specs say - Requires 2-1/2" clearance between tires. Opens to 10". They have the best price I've seen, but not sure what shipping costs are.

BAL Deluxe Trailer Tire Locking Chock 28005

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 05-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Not to be argumentative, but DO NOT use scissor jacks or bottle jacks to take pressure off the suspension before lowering the stabilizers. This topic has come up many times. The reason is this - the trailer frames are not designed for this type of upward pressure except for what is resting on the suspension. If you do so, it can twist the frame, causing all kinds of problems with the upper structure over time - seals, seams (especially fiberglass), and the crimped joints where roof meets sides. In the short run, doors may not close or latch properly. (The owner's manual warns against using jacks, except to change tires.)

The trailer comes with stabilizers, and not jacks, for that reason. Once your trailer is level, extend any slides, then lower the stabilizers, applying just a bit of down pressure at each corner, but not enough to affect leveling. That, along with the X-Chocks will make your trailer fairly stable, with no rocking.

Ok, I am a little confused, I put my camper at a seasonal spot and actually put it up on bricks on the 4 corners, I do leave a little pressure on the tongue jack, but there is no rock to the trailer, if i am reading your statement correctly does that mean I should not do this? Can you elaborate a little more please?

Toys:
2013 Sportsman 850HO
2006 Black Club Precedence Golf Cart
Lollygagger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollygagger77 View Post
Ok, I am a little confused, I put my camper at a seasonal spot and actually put it up on bricks on the 4 corners, I do leave a little pressure on the tongue jack, but there is no rock to the trailer, if i am reading your statement correctly does that mean I should not do this? Can you elaborate a little more please?
I assume you have the trailer sitting on the axles/tires as the main means of support and are using the bricks on the corners instead of the stabilizer jacks. If that is a correct assumption, you are perfectly OK, because the bricks do not exert any pressure against the frame, they are merely stabilizing it, which is what the stabilizer arms are meant for.

That said, you should probably check your tire pressure a few times each year to ensure that tires losing pressure don't allow the axles to move lower, which would create upward frame force on the corners by the bricks. This is along the same lines as the advice for not lowering your stabilizers when you park the trailer for the winter - for the same reasons. The tires will lose pressure and/or sink into a soft surface during freeze/thaw cycles, allowing pressure to be placed on the corners.

It's all in the design of the trailer frame. It is engineered to carry the load that is designed to be placed atop it - which is a downward force. The stabilizers place upward force, which counteracts the downward force. Fiberglass panels are not designed to flex top to bottom. When the forces try to do that, they will bow in or out somewhere - usually at seams, etc. Over time, the seams and the sealing can be compromised. Not a good thing.

A good illustration is this - take a look at an unloaded flatbed semi trailer. It is bowed up in the middle (front to rear). that's because it is designed to flatten out and become level when it is loaded. The same sort of strength theories applies to our travel trailers, but with less weight in mind.

I'm not a trailer designer, but I have taken the engineering courses that those designers must have, such as loads on beams, strength of welds and fasteners, the co-efficient of linear expansion (due to temperature changes), safety factors, etc. In this day and age, with cost in mind, everything is designed to certain specifications that fit the application - and no more. the days of manufacturer's designing in extra strength and durability to make things last longer are long gone. Jayco makes a good trailer, but they also have stockholders they are responsible to satisfy, as well. That's just business these days!

Probably more than you wanted to know!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 05-08-2015, 01:49 PM   #15

No that is good info, I do get the trailer level, then drop the nose a little, install the bricks and use the tongue jack to lift it past level and then place the front bricks at the level spot and then drop the front until it rest on the blocks. So this is good info to know as I am sure i am putting a decent amount of weight on the bricks and unloading some from the axles... I will get that reduced this weekend...

Toys:
2013 Sportsman 850HO
2006 Black Club Precedence Golf Cart
Lollygagger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollygagger77 View Post
No that is good info, I do get the trailer level, then drop the nose a little, install the bricks and use the tongue jack to lift it past level and then place the front bricks at the level spot and then drop the front until it rest on the blocks. So this is good info to know as I am sure i am putting a decent amount of weight on the bricks and unloading some from the axles... I will get that reduced this weekend...
A little weight on the bricks is OK. If you were using the stabilizers, they should be cranked down until they touch the ground, then enough force against the ground to just begin to move the trailer UP - but not enough to affect the leveling. Essentially, that prevents the trailer frame from flexing as you move around in the trailer. So as long as you aren't putting a great amount of trailer weight on the bricks, you won't hurt anything. Just keep your tires inflated properly and all will be well - and I hope you have a solid surface beneath the tires so they can't sink into the ground. (Keep them covered too, so they will last longer. The hardest thing on tires is just sitting without rolling. The sun and the elements adds to early deterioration.)

Scoutr2 (Mike)
Old 05-08-2015, 06:02 PM   #17

Thank you everyone for suggestion. Problem is trailer has wide stance axles and dealer said no type of expanable chocks will work with this axle spread.
camper brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #18

I added the scissor jacks to the middle of mine and made stabilizer bars for them... I have them right in front of the axles and the last time I was out I used the left one to tweak the level about a 1/4 inch before I ran the stabilizers down. I didn't remove much pressure from the suspension but all my doors and slides worked as they should. If going down the road and hitting bumps doesn't put more force on the frame and structure than this then the frame is too weak in my opinion. I do believe if you are going to tweak it this should be done as close to the axle as possible first then put stabilizers down. so I am using 6 points of contact not including the tongue jack and tires plus the x chocks and mine is rock solid. I do agree that you shouldn't use the scissors jacks to completely lift the unit off the axles but using them to make minor adjustments shouldn't be a big deal. I bought mine at harbor freight for 36.00 a piece and they were fairly straight forward to install.
Attached Thumbnails
20150401_171521.jpg   20150401_171603.jpg  
Old 05-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #19

If the trailer is rockin' don't come a knockin'!

2015 F350 XLT SRW 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4
Reese Elite 18k
2015 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
Ont Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #20

Quote:
I found an online RV parts store that sells them and the specs say - Requires 2-1/2" clearance between tires. Opens to 10". They have the best price I've seen, but not sure what shipping costs are.

BAL Deluxe Trailer Tire Locking Chock 28005

Those are the old style, wonder why the cost more? Have you tried the new style?
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote