Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #1

Roof Sag

Hey everyone, New to the Forum, have been looking around for a few days now, and haven't seen much on a roof sag problem...

Here is what's going on with mine..

I bought a 2004 Jayco Jay feather exp 23D a few months ago, and noticed water pooling on the roof in front of the AC after it rained... Didn't think much of it until I got on a ladder and pushed the water off, (lots of water)... So I started looking on the computer to see what I could do about the sag on the roof, and it looks like the only solution for this trailer is to replace the whole roof... So my question is, Since this is one complete roof, how hard would it be to put on myself? How would I go about getting a roof like this? And around how much would one cost? Thanks for any replies that I get...

Just to note, when we bought the camper the roof didnt look like it had anything wrong with it... There was no sign of the camper leaking inside or out... Even with the water pooling on the roof it still does not leak, But I know that its a matter of time before it will break through with that kind of weight sitting on it... Thats why Im so concerned with getting it fixed and fast... Thanks again
xradcon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #2

Just to note, when we bought the camper the roof didnt look like it had anything wrong with it... There was no sign of the camper leaking inside or out... Even with the water pooling on the roof it still does not leak, But I know that its a matter of time before it will break through with that kind of weight sitting on it... Thats why Im so concerned with getting it fixed and fast... Thanks again
Old 10-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Some of the earlier Jay Feathers did have rather flat roofs and pooling water around the A/C was a frequent issue ..., my sister had a '06' 23B that did the same thing. As long as there isn't any soft spots on the roof I wouldn't attempt to replace it because it would take a re-design on the truss structure to get a decent pitch on it.

Since it's not leaking I would carefully check all the seams, vents, stink pipe, etc., to make sure there aren't' any cracks in the caulking. Check the front and rear roof/cap seams, they are famous for leaking when neglected over time. May also be a good time to have the A/C gasket seal replaced since this is an area for water to accumulate.

As far as water pooling, when not in use tilt the TT with the tongue up so the water will flow off the back of the TT. My TT roof has an acceptable pitch, but even when I'm camping I have my tongue slightly tongue up just to have the water flow off the rear when it rains...., also directs the A/C condensation off the rear

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Some of the earlier Jay Feathers did have rather flat roofs and pooling water around the A/C was a frequent issue ..., my sister had a '06' 23B that did the same thing. As long as there isn't any soft spots on the roof I wouldn't attempt to replace it because it would take a re-design on the truss structure to get a decent pitch on it.

Since it's not leaking I would carefully check all the seams, vents, stink pipe, etc., to make sure there aren't' any cracks in the caulking. Check the front and rear roof/cap seams, they are famous for leaking when neglected over time. May also be a good time to have the A/C gasket seal replaced since this is an area for water to accumulate.

As far as water pooling, when not in use tilt the TT with the tongue up so the water will flow off the back of the TT. My TT roof has an acceptable pitch, but even when I'm camping I have my tongue slightly tongue up just to have the water flow off the rear when it rains...., also directs the A/C condensation off the rear

Bob
Good advice!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

If you stretch a string across the roof, how much distance do you have between the string and the roof at its widest point?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 AM   #6

Thank you guys for your replies... Rustic Eagle, when I first noticed the water on the roof I did try to lower the front end to let it drain off, but not all of it came off... I still had to get on a ladder and push the rest of it off... Like I said there was a lot of water on there... Just by looking at it the roof it looks like a 2 inch drop in the middle... I leave my camper at a campground thats about a hour away from my house, so I didnt go there for like a month, and we had Alot of rain during that time... Im thinking now that the water set on there with all that weight and pushed it down more??? I have had TT before, and never seen this happen... Is there a way to push the sag back up so it want collect that much water???
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradcon30 View Post
snip.....Im thinking now that the water set on there with all that weight and pushed it down more??? I have had TT before, and never seen this happen... Is there a way to push the sag back up so it want collect that much water???
I doubt very much that the weight of the pooled water would cause the roof to sag more...., unless the roof structure itself is damaged (underneath the rubber roofing material) .

IMO the weight of the A/C on the Jay Feathers (with the flat roofs) doesn't help and may contribute a little to the pooling effect. One other thing you can check is the ceiling-to-floor height within the TT, take measurements in a number of different locations and see what you come up with.

As far as "pushing" (propping, supporting, etc.) the roof structure up from within the TT, not sure if this is even possible without creating other problems.

Again, I think what you are dealing with is just the way Jayco designed this particular model's roof (not the best), and I would put your efforts into insuring that the existing structure is sound and doesn't show any signs of leaking.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #8

If your gonna replace the roof - and likely add an arch to it in the process - I'd check it out on rv.net. Hate to pimp another site, but when it gets real technical those guys and gals are hard to beat...

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakara View Post
snip..... I'd check it out on rv.net. Hate to pimp another site,....snip
Nothing wrong with the recommendation..., they refer folks over to JOF often as well

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS