Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #1

Rookie Winterisation Question

I did the research and watched the videos but still managed to make a mistake. I guess I had the water heater bi-pass valve in the wrong position so I partially filled the water heater with Rv anti freeze before I figured it out! Should I leave it in the hot water tank and just drain it in the spring or do it now?

Also is it a good idea to dump some Rv anti freeze in the water tank and then open the drain valves to get the water completely out?

Thanks for the help.
hoss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Team

1. I would drain out the antifreeze from the hot water tank and leave it empty. Sanitize system in the Spring as usual.
2. I never put antifreeze in the fresh water tank, I just leave the drain valve open to insure it is completely empty and no water can collect in that valve and freeze it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 04:59 PM   #3

What he said^
Hoppy220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

I am pretty sure I have missed it but how do you get antifreeze in the lines to purge the water if you don't put in the fresh water tank and then pump it through the system. I have no problem with that as we don't drink from our fresh tank, only used for wash and flush.
I usually flush it in the spring and put in chlorox then flush again anyway.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I am pretty sure I have missed it but how do you get antifreeze in the lines to purge the water if you don't put in the fresh water tank and then pump it through the system. I have no problem with that as we don't drink from our fresh tank, only used for wash and flush.
I usually flush it in the spring and put in chlorox then flush again anyway.
By using the winterizing kit on the pump. The clear hose goes in the antifreeze jug and the pump siphons it into the system. The valve on the clear hose is turned on and the valve from the tank to the pump is turned off during this procedure.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...12-a-9335.html

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #6

Roger,

Check the winterization sticky at the top of this sub-forum for the full details on winterizing. Most TT's and 5ers have (but not all MH's) have a hose located right near the pump that is open at one end. Put the open end in a jug of antifreeze and turn the valve on that hose to open, and the valve on the hose to the FW tank to closed. Now the pump will draw from the jug instead of the FW tank.

Also, strongly recommend opening the low point drains to empty as much water as possible before sucking in the AF. (And then remember to close them again before starting the AF - ask me how I know...) If you use the AF to push out the water, you will dilute the AF and probably use more. You will also have more liquid in your waste tanks that might freeze (low %age of AF) unless you empty them again before storing.

ETA: Just like Crabman posted one minute before me with pictures and all
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote