Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-29-2014, 10:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBYA448 View Post
Might be time to get the eyes checked...I was reading bottle jack as "bottle of jack" and wondering what it would be used for and why it would be in the tool box instead of the liquor cabinet, lol!
I generally have both. Often when using a bottle jack you need to follow that up with a Bottle of Jack.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:55 AM   #22

Thanks everyone! This is a wonderful list!! I like the idea of having a bigger tool set as well as one in the TT. That's basically what I do at home....keep my own set of tools under the kitchen sink so when I need a wrench or a screwdriver I don't have to go searching for DH's. Why not do the same in the TT?! Thanks again!!

2008 Jayco Jayflight G2 31BHDS
2012 Dodge 3500 Cummins Diesel, Crew Cab/ Short Box
Little Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #23

I picked up a big fishing tackle tote last year, has removable covered trays I use for small parts as I accumulate them and have a rough idea where they are. Good price at WalMart so couldn't resist. Each removable tray can be used for different types of parts, electrical (light bulbs, fuses, etc) fastening hardware, Whatever. You don't have to carry the whole tote with you for a particular job, just the appropriate tray.

Bottle jack? That's what the 800 number is for. With arthritis is the wrong places I can't really maneuver a spare from under the RV or deal with lug nuts. Our tires are brand new so what can go wrong? (Tongue in cheek)
dapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #24

I would also throw in a inexpensive inflater (Slime makes a good one) that works off the TV's electrical system.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:13 AM   #25

+1 on the 12V air pump and the tire gauge, and the bottle of Jack!

When I finally get around to getting my 12V air pump, I'll also carry a 12V cigarette lighter adapter with alligator clips to hook it up to the RV deep cycle (I already have one from my boating days). And a nice tire plug set. I know tire plugs are not the accepted method, but in a pinch, they might just get you to the tire shop where a proper repair can be made.

Oh, and I forgot two of the most important items! 1) Credit card 2) Can-do attitude.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryetye View Post
I keep a small pancake air compressor under the bunk that will run off my inverter to pump tires and toys for the boys!
We have an air pump that will run off 12V and 110. If the word "pancake" means that it is shaped like a pancake then we don't have that. Ours would be more of a football . .
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I generally have both. Often when using a bottle jack you need to follow that up with a Bottle of Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBYA448 View Post
Might be time to get the eyes checked...I was reading bottle jack as "bottle of jack" and wondering what it would be used for and why it would be in the tool box instead of the liquor cabinet, lol!
LOL - Don't know about bottle jacks, but do recognize that Bottle of Jack! We will need to order a bigger TT and a bigger TV so that I can tote all these tools.

Or I could see how far we get with the AAA card, the AMEX card, and a little help from my (evidently thousands of new) "friends" . . . apologies to the Beatles . . .

Maybe we should just list ALL the suggestions and post them somewhere. It seems a shame to waste any of these ideas and given the wide variety of rigs out there, all suggestions would be useful. What do you think?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfir1 View Post
I would also throw in a inexpensive inflater (Slime makes a good one) that works off the TV's electrical system.
That seems like a great idea. Does it work well enough to get you to a service station? If so, that sounds way easier than my trying to change the tire.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

When I finally get around to getting my 12V air pump, I'll also carry a 12V cigarette lighter adapter with alligator clips to hook it up to the RV deep cycle (I already have one from my boating days). And a nice tire plug set. I know tire plugs are not the accepted method, but in a pinch, they might just get you to the tire shop where a proper repair can be made.

Oh, and I forgot two of the most important items! 1) Credit card 2) Can-do attitude.
Camper Bob -

Regarding the second paragraph above . . . can you re-send it in English?

That part about the cigarette lighter and the alligator is beginning to sound a bit painful . . . . and maybe even disturbing . . . and what on earth is an RV deep cycle?

I think that I (kind of) get the idea with the tire plugs.

Regarding air pumps - I believe that one of the "things" we have in our garage is a 12V pump and it will do tires; inflatable boats; etc - so we should be good to go. Why wouldn't I just want to plug it into the TV?

And about that Bottle of Jack - I'll take two, please.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
Camper Bob -

Regarding the second paragraph above . . . can you re-send it in English?

That part about the cigarette lighter and the alligator is beginning to sound a bit painful . . . . and maybe even disturbing . . . and what on earth is an RV deep cycle?

I think that I (kind of) get the idea with the tire plugs.

Regarding air pumps - I believe that one of the "things" we have in our garage is a 12V pump and it will do tires; inflatable boats; etc - so we should be good to go. Why wouldn't I just want to plug it into the TV?

And about that Bottle of Jack - I'll take two, please.
I'm talking about one of these: http://www.amazon.com/battery-cigare...words=12v+cord The cord on my air pump barely reaches my truck's rear tires when it's plugged into the dash, so I have one of these so I can clip it to the battery on my trailer (or take the battery off and haul it wherever I need) and be able to reach my trailer tires. If I only need to add a couple pounds of pressure, this is a much better solution than taking the tire off or unhooking from the trailer so the cord will reach.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #31

Quote:

Quote:
I'm talking about one of these: http://www.amazon.com/battery-cigare...words=12v+cord The cord on my air pump barely reaches my truck's rear tires when it's plugged into the dash, so I have one of these so I can clip it to the battery on my trailer (or take the battery off and haul it wherever I need) and be able to reach my trailer tires. If I only need to add a couple pounds of pressure, this is a much better solution than taking the tire off or unhooking from the trailer so the cord will reach.
AHA! You are, of course, 100% correct . . . hadn't thought about that cord having to reach such a long ways. (Our tent is beginning to look better and better . . . )

Now that you have dumbed this down to my level, it makes perfect sense. Excuse me if this is a very dumb question, but do they make a male to female extension thingee that I can just plug into my dash?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyup View Post
AHA! You are, of course, 100% correct . . . hadn't thought about that cord having to reach such a long ways. (Our tent is beginning to look better and better . . . )

Now that you have dumbed this down to my level, it makes perfect sense. Excuse me if this is a very dumb question, but do they make a male to female extension thingee that I can just plug into my dash?
Update: They DO have these on Amazon for less than $9. Varying strengths and they don't do heavy stuff but several comments were about using them with 12V air compressors for reaching tires on campers. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RP-203...cm_rdp_product
Old 07-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapoppa View Post
I picked up a big fishing tackle tote last year, has removable covered trays I use for small parts as I accumulate them and have a rough idea where they are. Good price at WalMart so couldn't resist. Each removable tray can be used for different types of parts, electrical (light bulbs, fuses, etc) fastening hardware, Whatever. You don't have to carry the whole tote with you for a particular job, just the appropriate tray.

Bottle jack? That's what the 800 number is for. With arthritis is the wrong places I can't really maneuver a spare from under the RV or deal with lug nuts. Our tires are brand new so what can go wrong? (Tongue in cheek)
The tackle box seems like a good idea. Also like the idea of the 800 number (does that go to Roadside Assistance?). Will check it out. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:00 PM   #34

It does but you have to be a Good Sam member and pay the annual fee. To me it's worth it. It not only covers the RV but any vehicle we own or use for fuel outs, flat tires, tow to a garage, etc.

The tackle box is a Plano 732, costs about $37 at WalMart.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:07 PM   #35

I also keep a torque wrench. Unlike your local mechanic that uses a 500 ft lbs air driver to put wheels on, I like to torque them to proper specs. lol
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #36

The thing about tools is: you should have the tools you know how to and are willing to use. It's like taking the back off a TV, it's easy but should you really do that is the question?

To fix basic things you need basic knowledge of these things, then, with that knowledge you have use for the tools and most likely know which ones you need........Otherwise, not so much.

IMHO, the best tool is knowledge, from there you discover what you need in tools.

Understand, I have nothing against a basic tool set in every camper. And this is a great thread.
But if you camp long enough you will gain the knowledge through the school of hard knocks and your tool chest will fill up in the process.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
The thing about tools is: you should have the tools you know how to and are willing to use. It's like taking the back off a TV, it's easy but should you really do that is the question?

To fix basic things you need basic knowledge of these things, then, with that knowledge you have use for the tools and most likely know which ones you need........Otherwise, not so much.

IMHO, the best tool is knowledge, from there you discover what you need in tools.

Understand, I have nothing against a basic tool set in every camper. And this is a great thread.
But if you camp long enough you will gain the knowledge through the school of hard knocks and your tool chest will fill up in the process.
+1 That is the 100% truth. VERY well said! No matter how many tools you have, if you don't know what to do with them, they're only so much extra weight.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #38

I agree. Virtually all the tools I carry and the repair parts are for what I know how to repair at least temporarily. I was a burner tech for 40 years so learned a lot about electrical repairs, plumbing and all that's associated with the trade. Our first camper was a partially converted Dodge van we picked up about 20 some years ago. We put a lot of miles on it and every trip was an adventure - what's gonna break this time. Fortunately my son is a darn good mechanic and also fortunately we now have a reliable RV but **** happens!
Old 08-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #39

Do Jaycos and I guess RVs in general have SAE or Metric connectors? Not having to carry both would be beneficial.
5thGenTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #40

Head lamp. You can't always hold a light if your using both hands, and your partner will never point the light right where you need it.
CJames is offline   Reply With Quote