Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Several Questions about Issues with my Slide out

Issue #1: On the top of the 12' slide on my 2011 256RKS TT, there is some kind of tape near the outer flange of the slide, and the rubber seal where the slide goes in is starting to peel back said tape in several places along there. Pic of the problem is below. Obviously, this will only get worse with time. What is the best repair solution for this? Is there a specific white tape I should use to cover this edge that is beginning to peel back? Some kind of glue? Please advise.

[/url]
free image uploader[/IMG]

Issue #2: On the top corners of the slide next to the body of the TT, when the slide is fully extended, there are matching almost identical bubbles at each end. Below is a pic of one of them, taken from the roof of the TT looking down on the slide. There is no break in the rubber material, and the bubbles feel spongy, like there is either some spongy material inside, or trapped air.

Since these two bubbles are almost identical in appearance, I wonder if it is supposed to be that way. Is there a problem? If so, how should I fix it?

[/url]
picture hosting[/IMG]

Issue #3: When the slide is fully closed, on both the front and back, the slide closes much tighter at the top than at the bottom, where there is a gap, such that the seal doesn't appear to me to be sealing at the bottom. See pic of the front edge of the slide below. I haven't yet noticed any leaks, but we have only had the trailer a few months, and haven't driven it in rain yet. Is the slide supposed to close this way? If not, is there a way to fix it?

[/url]
image hosting 20mb[/IMG]

Any expert advice would be greatly appreciated!
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #2

I can comment on the closed position. Our slide, though much smaller, also closes like this. However our seal appears to sealing at all points. Keep an eye on it, but I do believe this is adjustable.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #3

I can comment on Issue #1. The tape on my '06 23B slide out was doing the same thing so I bought a roll of eternabond tape and repaired it. The repair is three years old and the edges of the tape are starting to be compromised by the rubber seal dragging accrost it. Other than some silicone spray or the like to decrease the coefficient of friction of the seal, I don't think there's much more I can do.

Don't forget, these slide outs on trailers aren't like the slides on a table of a milling machine or a machining center...they are pretty crude at best and if they close up and don't leak they are considered "good enough".
Old 05-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #4

On the tape on top of the slide i thank the fix is to put a bead of sealant along the leading edge. No experience with the bubbles. The slide can be adjusted and this should take care of the gap. Hope this helps.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #5

Here is some non-expert opinion:

Issue 1) My slide had the issue of the tape being loose. Luckily it occurred during the warranty period and the dealer fixed it. They did not use Eternabond but some other material. They did carefully caulk the leading edge of the new tape to help keep it from getting caught on the seal as it slides over the edge. I would think that Eternabond and a caulked edge would do a good job.

Issue 2) Sometimes roofing material has a slight bubble. But from the looks of it, the bubbles you have are not slight. I think it needs to be looked at to determine the cause. Perhaps it is nothing, but if my slide had it I would be concerned.

Issue 3) Looks to me like your slide needs to be adjusted a bit so that the bottom pulls in a bit tighter.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #6

Thanks to all for your responses! Much appreciated. Does anyone know how to adjust the slide so that the bottom part goes in farther?
Old 05-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #7

On #3, I had a similar issue where the bottom would open a bit and the rubber seal no longer touched the sidewall after a short drive. I stopped and opened/retracted the slide just a bit, and it sealed tight again. Haven't recurred, but we'll see if that works for you too...
kvangil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvangil View Post
On #3, I had a similar issue where the bottom would open a bit and the rubber seal no longer touched the sidewall after a short drive. I stopped and opened/retracted the slide just a bit, and it sealed tight again. Haven't recurred, but we'll see if that works for you too...
Thanks, but that doesn't work for mine. My slide always looks like that when closed. I believe that I need to adjust the slide. I want to try to download adjustment instructions from the slide mechanism manufacturer website, but I don't know what slide manufacturer that Jayco uses (Lippert, Leland, ...?). Does anyone know?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #9

Picture #3 looks exactly like our slide when it is closed. Three different dealers have been unable to fix it. The inside of our slide touches on the linoleum in the kitchen while we are traveling.

I believe Jayco now uses Lippert. Our slide is made by a company that Lippert bought. (Symtech or something like that.)
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #10

OK, I figured out how to adjust the slide so that when closed, the gap between the exterior RV wall and the slide is consistent and it seals properly. On my Jayco, the adjustment is underneath on the trailing edge of the slide. There is not one at the other end -- this one adjustment apparatus adjusts both ends.

See the "can"? When the slide is closed, that bumps the frame. In the pic, my slide is open a few inches. So you loosen the nut at the end of it, then you can turn the can by hand. If as was the case with my TT, the gap was too large at the bottom when closed, you move the can outward so that the bottom of the slide can go in farther when closed. And if you have a gap at the top of your slide when closed, you move it in toward the RV frame to stop the slide sooner.

This was a very simple and quick adjustment, once I found how to do it, so if any of you have this problem, I would suggest that if even if you are only marginally handy, you could still accomplish this adjustment. All you need is one large crescent wrench.

I found online that the nut on the very end of the all-thread, is how you adjust how the slide seals against the inside of the RV when extended. That part of mine did not need adjusting, but I understand that is how one adjusts that.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #11

Hey, Webby! Thanks for the follow up and the pic. Sooner or later, many of us will be able to use this newly-found info!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Hey, Webby! Thanks for the follow up and the pic. Sooner or later, many of us will be able to use this newly-found info!
You're welcome! This forum is so helpful to me, that on occasion when I have some information that may help others, it's the least that I could do.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:58 PM   #13

Our trailer is in Az and we are in Idaho for the summer. When we return to Az I will see if our slide adjuster is the same. Ours is not a Lippert slide.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #14

Webby,
Good pictures and info.....Thx.