Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

sheared bolts for slide motor

Just got back from a trip to Zion N.P. and North Rim of the grand canyon. As we were leaving Zion for the North Rim one of the slides would not retract. Got the underbelly exposed by cutting into it and found two bolts sheared in half. The bolts are the ones that connect the motor drive to the shaft. After a 40 minute one way drive to Hurricane True Value......the 50 cent bolts replaced. We were on our way. The folks at True Value suggested the broken bolts were average quality at best and suggested replacing with a much higher quality bolt so I bought extras and intend on replacing all the slide bolts.....has anyone else had similar issues and/or are there other suggestions?
RV4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV4Fun View Post
snip.....has anyone else had similar issues and/or are there other suggestions?
I haven't had any problems with my '05' slide motor to-date, but I do pull the access panel off once a year just to check that everything is "snug". Like yours, mine is also located underneath the TT requiring a "on your back" position. What I watch for is the motor frame mounting bolts loosening up (not uncommon), but mine has been tight since day one.

Just had the under-belly panel off yesterday doing my fall TT once-over:

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #3

RV4Fun,
Where did you stay at the N Rim. The family and I stayed there several years ago and I don't recall any TT spots. (but I didn't own one then sos probably wasn't looking)

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #4

There is a National Park Campground.....it appears to have been recently redone. We have a 38 ft 5th wheel and it fit very nicely into one of the spots. While not all the spots are for larger rigs....they do have some.
They have regulations about generator usage.....2 hours in the morning and 2 more hours early evening. So no electical, no water(at the site), there is a dump for folks staying in the park nothing at the site. There is potable water usually a short walk from the site....bathrooms and showers for a $$.
Very peaceful and very high elevation....I am not use to almost 9000 ft so I struggled some.
RV4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote