Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #21

I would most definitely carry the inexpensive circuit tester. This is the only ground you get to have for your trailer coming from the camp ground pedestal...

Alot of times we find the ground point missing from 120VAC 15A/20A service we sometimes hook into using a RV30A-15A long adapter. Not good....

The small circuit tester will spot it right off the bat...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #22

Gonna dig mine out of the garage and start carring/testing before hooking up. Good info, thanks.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphie View Post
whatever you do......don't call it a short.
Shout: Thank you!!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I would most definitely carry the inexpensive circuit tester. This is the only ground you get to have for your trailer coming from the camp ground pedestal...

Alot of times we find the ground point missing from 120VAC 15A/20A service we sometimes hook into using a RV30A-15A long adapter. Not good....

The small circuit tester will spot it right off the bat...

Roy Ken
I'm Mike Sokol, author of the NoShockZone articles linked to above in this thread. Yes, an inexpensive NCVT (Non Contact Voltage Tester) such as a Fluke VoltAlert or Klein NCVT-1 will do a good job for this hot-skin, and light up from more than a foot away from your RV if you have a 120-volt hot-skin condition. I've developed and promoted this test through a series of experiments where I create hot-skin conditions with various voltages and currents. See for an example of a 40 ft RV being tested with a Fluke VoltAlert. Just remember that all Non Contact Circuit Testers are NOT created equal, so you'll want to stick with one of the brands I've documented as operating safely for this test. Remember, this is NOT an authorized way to use a NCVT according the the manufacturer's legal department. But most of them do work exactly as I demonstrate in the video.

So please NEVER accept getting shocked from anything, be it an RV, drill, refrigerator, or even your cell phone on its charger. It's surprisingly easy to stop your heart with as little as 30 volts AC if your hands are wet. Please contact me with any RV shock related questions. And read my articles at www.NoShockZone.org for all kinds of electrical info.

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
www.NoShockZone.org
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:56 AM   #25

Hot Skin

I realize this is an old post but hoping this will bring it to the top for discussion again. I have a 2007 Lakota horse trailer and am getting a hot skin while plugged in to either the house or the generator. I'm looking for suggestions as to where to start looking in the trailer to diagnose and fix this problem.

Thanks in advance!
yellowf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:59 AM   #26

Check your grounds. Make sure the outlet you are plugging into is properly grounded. Make sure the plug you are using has an intact ground prong. Make sure the cord you are using has an intact ground conductor. Make sure the frame of your RV is properly grounded.

The above can be done with a cheap multi meter. Like this one : Sears.com

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #27

So...tonight I did some testing. The skin of the trailer to the ground is reading 47 volts! If I turn off the main breaker, it jumps to 74 volts! All other breakers seem to do nothing. This is plugged into the garage at home which is reading properly. I get the same readings when plugged into my generator. Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2016, 07:48 PM   #28

I would check for continuity from the ground prong on your shore cord to the skin of the trailer. There should be continuity between these points.

The voltage goes up between the trailer skin and earth ground when the main breaker is off while the sore cord is still plugged in? I am assuming you are referring to the main breaker inside the trailer? And the same thing happens on generator power? A portable generator utilizing the same shore cord?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
I would check for continuity from the ground prong on your shore cord to the skin of the trailer. There should be continuity between these points.

The voltage goes up between the trailer skin and earth ground when the main breaker is off while the sore cord is still plugged in? I am assuming you are referring to the main breaker inside the trailer? And the same thing happens on generator power? A portable generator utilizing the same shore cord?

Yes, the voltage goes up between the trailer skin and earth ground while the shore cord is still plugged in. Yes, the main breaker. Yes, the same thing with generator power and the same shore cord.

What am I looking for when you say check for continuity between the ground on the cord and the skin of the trailer? What should I be set on and what should I expect to see? I'm using a digital fluke meter...
Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #30

You have a bad or loose ground somewhere on the unit.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowf4 View Post
Yes, the voltage goes up between the trailer skin and earth ground while the shore cord is still plugged in. Yes, the main breaker. Yes, the same thing with generator power and the same shore cord.

What am I looking for when you say check for continuity between the ground on the cord and the skin of the trailer? What should I be set on and what should I expect to see? I'm using a digital fluke meter...
Do you have a Digital Multi Meter? If so there is a setting that you can touch the two leads together and the meter will beep.

Take one lead and hold it on the ground post of the shore cord plug. While still holding the lead on the ground post take the other lead and touch it to an exposed metal part of the trailer frame. There should be a connection and the meter should beep.

If you do not have a digital multi meter then you can use an older analog meter on the ohm setting. You should have a low resistance reading. Not a zero or high reading.

If your meter beeps during this test we will have to look deeper. Do you by chance have an 120v inverter in the trailer?

If your meter does not beep then you will have the check the ground post to the ground conductor where it terminates in the main electric panel in the trailer. If that does not beep then you have a bad plug or cable. If it does beep then you have to check from the electric panel to the trailer frame. If this beeps we have to go deeper. If it does not beep you have an open between the electric panel and the frame.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
You have a bad or loose ground somewhere on the unit.
Any suggestions as to where to start looking? It almost sounds to me like it's something to do with the shore cord itself or the plug it attaches to. Anyone know how to test out a 30 amp shore cord for resistance?

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Any suggestions as to where to start looking? It almost sounds to me like it's something to do with the shore cord itself or the plug it attaches to. Anyone know how to test out a 30 amp shore cord for resistance?

Thank you!
Set meter on ohms and check each wire end to end. This will yield bulk resistance in each wire including connections. If one wire shows higher resistance compared to others and it's a significant difference then I would suspect a problem. What are you plugged into. Is it a true rv 30 amp service.

It goes without saying you do this with the cord not connected on either end.
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #34

Quote:

Thank you!

My guess is that it's whatever you are plugged into...not the trailer. Reverse polarity can cause it.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #35

Quote:
My guess is that it's whatever you are plugged into...not the trailer. Reverse polarity can cause it.
That is where it is. I suspect the shore power source does not have an earth ground.
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #36

Shocking!

On a side note, that should make a nice free security system!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Can't be. He is having the same issue when plugged into shore power as well as a generator.

It is either the shore cord or the ground connection from the trailer panel to the frame.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:30 AM   #38

Thank you to all who helped out in this adventure! I ended up finding out that the problem was with my cord all along!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #39

Glad you found the issue and made the trailer safe again. I am assuming you fixed the problem after identifying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk