Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowf4 View Post
Yes, the voltage goes up between the trailer skin and earth ground while the shore cord is still plugged in. Yes, the main breaker. Yes, the same thing with generator power and the same shore cord.

What am I looking for when you say check for continuity between the ground on the cord and the skin of the trailer? What should I be set on and what should I expect to see? I'm using a digital fluke meter...
Do you have a Digital Multi Meter? If so there is a setting that you can touch the two leads together and the meter will beep.

Take one lead and hold it on the ground post of the shore cord plug. While still holding the lead on the ground post take the other lead and touch it to an exposed metal part of the trailer frame. There should be a connection and the meter should beep.

If you do not have a digital multi meter then you can use an older analog meter on the ohm setting. You should have a low resistance reading. Not a zero or high reading.

If your meter beeps during this test we will have to look deeper. Do you by chance have an 120v inverter in the trailer?

If your meter does not beep then you will have the check the ground post to the ground conductor where it terminates in the main electric panel in the trailer. If that does not beep then you have a bad plug or cable. If it does beep then you have to check from the electric panel to the trailer frame. If this beeps we have to go deeper. If it does not beep you have an open between the electric panel and the frame.

TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh
TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
You have a bad or loose ground somewhere on the unit.
Any suggestions as to where to start looking? It almost sounds to me like it's something to do with the shore cord itself or the plug it attaches to. Anyone know how to test out a 30 amp shore cord for resistance?

Thank you!

yellowf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Any suggestions as to where to start looking? It almost sounds to me like it's something to do with the shore cord itself or the plug it attaches to. Anyone know how to test out a 30 amp shore cord for resistance?

Thank you!
Set meter on ohms and check each wire end to end. This will yield bulk resistance in each wire including connections. If one wire shows higher resistance compared to others and it's a significant difference then I would suspect a problem. What are you plugged into. Is it a true rv 30 amp service.

It goes without saying you do this with the cord not connected on either end.
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:48 AM   #34

Quote:

Thank you!

My guess is that it's whatever you are plugged into...not the trailer. Reverse polarity can cause it.
Equal-I-Zerô WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #35

Quote:
My guess is that it's whatever you are plugged into...not the trailer. Reverse polarity can cause it.
That is where it is. I suspect the shore power source does not have an earth ground.
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #36

Shocking!

On a side note, that should make a nice free security system!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Can't be. He is having the same issue when plugged into shore power as well as a generator.

It is either the shore cord or the ground connection from the trailer panel to the frame.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:30 AM   #38

Thank you to all who helped out in this adventure! I ended up finding out that the problem was with my cord all along!
yellowf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:34 AM   #39

Glad you found the issue and made the trailer safe again. I am assuming you fixed the problem after identifying it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk