Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 PM   #11
Well it sounds like I was wrong. Sorry if I misled anyone here. That was not my intention. Just glad to here that it was not as serious as I thought it might have been. I had gone to a local trailer show and they happened to have a expert speaking to an audience on the dangers of this condition. (trailer giving you a shock) I was looking at a jayco trailer which was close to his area and could overhear what he was telling the audience. Thanks for clarifying this for us.

2011 Jay Feather Select 28U
2007 Silverado Crewcab LT 6.0L
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #12
"Short" is a commonly used term to describe almost every electrical problem, mostly by people who are unfamiliar with electrical wiring and troubleshooting. Shorts cause arcs, sparks, and trip fuses and breakers. Opens" created a difference of potential that causes current to flow when something like a hand or body is placed across it such as standing in water and touching an ungrounded frame.

We have to assume the OP's trailer is correctly wired because he did not indicate a problem when hooked up at a campground. So, the trailer and shore power cord can be eliminated. The problem is an open ground somewhere. If the problem occurs when he plugs into his garage outlet, that leaves two possibilities. One is a misfired outlet or if it's an older structure, it was common practice to not use safety grounds at all. Fortunately, current electrical codes have fixed eliminated that practice. If the outlet checks out OK, then the next likely cause would be any adapter that is used to between the trailer and the outlet. Those have been known to fail and create shock hazards. It's also possible that if the trailer is at fault, the OP may or may not have experienced it at a campground unless conditions were just right, and if everything else checks OK, the it's possible that ground and neutral may be tied together somewhere in the trailer or a ground wire has come loose at the power distribution panel. At any rate, a ground has been lost somewhere.
I recommend that anyone not familiar with electricity get a qualified person to check all of this stuff out. Electricity is serious stuff and not for amateurs. The lives of you and your family are at stake.

2010 22FB(Ret)
2013 F250 XLT
I now have a Keystone Outback, but I try to help when I can.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote