Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #11
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I drain water every single time. Couple years ago my wife got sick during a pregnancy and it abruptly cut our camping season short. We had left water in the lines, we got the dreaded sulphur smell in our lines and water heater. Had to use bleach and baking soda and a LOT of water flushed through the water heater to get rid of the smell.

It is so much easier to simply open my low points when we leave the campground and close them when we get home. No issues with water smell after that.
Bet the last CG you were at had a well.

Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #12
I drain the hot water heater after every trip... not sure now much of the lines get drained that way, but judging from how long it takes to get the air out on the next trip, I would guess most of it.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #13
Thanks for all of the replies. I like the idea of just opening the faucets and low point drains when leaving the campground then closing them when you get home. Very simple and a great way to prevent any problems.
Thanks again to all of the great responses,

2015 Jayco Whitehawk 24RDB
2015 Ford F-150 3.5L Ecoboost 3.55
Golds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #14
Site Team
I once forgot to drain the hot water heater and the trailer sat for two months. When we used it again the hot water smelled awful and the DW was not happy. Had to drain and sanitize at a later date. This was with well water which of course has no chlorine.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0l, 4.10r

2010 Jayco Jayflight 28BHS
Reese Strait Line with Dual Cam
P3 Brk controller
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:21 AM   #15
I always keep my fresh water tank full to allow for water line breaks at the park. It happened 11 times last summer where I volunteer. So far this summer only 1 time, but I always have water. Since it is so hot right now I switch to my fresh water tank once a month and use it for a few loads of laundry and a shower or 3. When close to empty I fill it back up for the next time. Others around me are always upset with the water is off, but I'm good to go. I got burned once with an empty tank and never again unless it should go off when I'm cycling the tank.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:12 AM   #16
I only travel with 9 gallons of water, and I have that water chlorinated almost like I'm sanitizing the tank. Since I only use that water for flushing the toilet or washing my hands, it works for me. I leave it in there until its time to winterize.

2015 Greyhawk 29MV

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote