Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #1

shower leak in Whitehawk

We have a shower leak in our new 2014 Whitehawk 27DSRL. After we take a shower there is water on the floor - on the other side of the wall - in the bedroom. I've looked very closely and the water is not coming directly from the shower enclosure. It is leaking out from underneath the wall!
Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how to fix it.
Thanks.
jackjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #2

If it is a new 2014 I would take it in to the dealer pronto. You certainly don't want to start opening up walls to get at any leaks.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

Yep, sure did. We have a 2012 White Hawk 27 DSRL and during the first year the same type of leak on the bedroom floor just on the other side of the shower wall. No more that a small sponge would suck up. Called the dealer we bought it from and told him it took place right after a shower. We were told that the way the shower is put together no sealant is needed inside the shower itself. If you look, there is no sealant inside the shower. Anyway we were on a long trip, talked about it with others in the campground. All agreed get a tube of clear caulking and seal it up inside the shower anyway. If it continued, then there could be a problem with the drain or drainpipe. Anyway sealed it up and after one and a half years and a lot of showers (even backed the Gray Water up in the shower) never did it again. If you are talking about a lot of water then take it to the dealer.
rdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #4

Thanks

Thanks to both of you for the response. Our dealer also told us we did not need sealant and even said not to add it. Doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. Probably talk to the dealer again and then decide.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #5

If the water is coming from under the wall, you may have a loose shower drain. There should be a removable panel on the front of the shower base. Try removing it and checking the nut on the bottom of the shower drain (underside of the shower pan). Sometimes, they don't get them very tight at the factory and the work loose during transport.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #6

Been there had that problem in our 2013 DSRL. Completely resealed the shower, the gaskets for the glass panels, the seam where the ABS panels meet the shower pan, the fasteners that secure the ABS panels to the wall (3 of them were loose) and reconnected the shower drain line. Still get a little water on the bathroom floor that appears to be getting out of the shower enclosure door threshold if the trailer is less than perfectly level.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #7

We are on our first trip with our white hawk. All is great except we also have the water problem with the shower. Thanks to this thread I will have a good starting point for when we get home. Thanks for the information. Otherwise, it's a great TT!!
Old 05-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #8

shower leak

This is what I found on my White Hawk shower. if you look at the picture you can almost see the split in the seal. I circled it. The water goes in the split and runs to the corner where the shower inclosure meets the wall. water comes out there. That split sould be located at the top. I also found that the manufacturers mark on the glass is upside down which tells me they installed the glass upside down. I should have taken it back to the dealer, but I filled the gap with silicon sealent. seemed to fix the problem
Attached Thumbnails
100_5281sm.jpg  
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #9

The leak in shower on our WhiteHawk required some detective work. I was outside the trailer and noticed water dripping down from the sealed tip of a lag screw that secures the sidewall to the floor assembly in the bathroom area. Wife was in the shower at the time. Went inside and checked the shower and found standing water on the top of the shower pan outside of glass enclosure segment facing the vanity, but no wet floor. Armed with a flashlight, I had the wife run the shower aiming the spray at that panel. Still nothing. Then I went under the vanity removed the luan panel that protects the plumbing and found a literal river running across the floor and under the sole plate of the exterior wall and out the bottom. The leak source was the gasket in the glass panel enclosure. So I resealed the entire enclosure, added sealant on the bottom where the panels ABS panels meet the shower pan where sealant is supposedly not needed, and checked the shower drain line connection, it was cross threaded and not secured. All the Pex line connections to the shower faucet were fine. The fasteners that are used to secure the ABS panels to the wall studs can leak as well if they are not tightly installed, so don't overlook them. Could have taken it to dealer under warranty, but didn't want to leave it for a month when I could take care of it in a couple hours time with a tube of silicone or two.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

Stopped the leaks - mostly

Thanks for all the responses. I've tried putting sealant everywhere like most of you have. Stopped most of the leaks. Still getting a little. Guess I just have to do a better job with the sealant.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #11

I can't believe that I've owned 3 previous Jayco RVs in 15 years and never registered for this forum until today. Anyway, my new 2015 White Hawk 24RKS is the second Jayco with a corner glass enclosed shower and the second that has the same problems with leakage as already been discussed.

I had to seal pretty much everything already mentioned inside the shower on my 2008 Eagle. I was hoping that Jayco (and every other manufacturer) had finally learned where all the showers leak and done something to fix it. I found this discussion searching for info on the problem.

Fortunately, we checked everything out by camping overnight in the driveway before taking it on a week long trip. The shower is the only problem, as I inspected the trailer and had the dealer fix any small problems before we took delivery. The water leaked onto the outside surface of the pan and underneath and into the bedroom. I watched during a spray test through the access panel opening and the water just seemed to pour out.

Unless I missed it in the discussions, another place to seal is at the ends of the channel below the door, as water runs to the end and then down into the glass panel channels. I'm going to try to not seal between the wall panels and the pan, as I don't see how water could get out through there, but who knows. I'll have to test it after all other places are sealed and cured.
RVer-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #12

These shower leaks aren't just a JAYCO thing.
I had a glass enclosed shower in my last new trailer (Salem Park Model). Darn shower glass leaked in there too. I was always chasing it with my trusty silicone. A lot of these trailer manufacturers use the same parts suppliers.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #13

I'm going in stages. I just finished the 3rd stage. The 2nd stage stopped the biggest leak, but it still leaks on both sides at the back of the top of the pan. Water collects on the outside pan ledge at the wall. I just sealed around the screws and sealed at the intersection of the various metal frames. I had to seal at the metal frame joint between the door frame and the side frames on the Eagle. The only thing that I haven't sealed now is the intersection between the pan and the ABS panels and that shouldn't need sealed, but I did on the Eagle. This is exactly the same shower design as the Eagle, so obviously Jayco hasn't learned anything in the last 7 years.

I do know that most, if not all, manufacturers are no different, as there are plenty of complaints on other forums. I guess they figure that people will spend the time themselves instead of taking in for warranty service. They know that people won't trust the dealer to fix this because it is time consuming and most would rather just go buy 2 or 3 tubes of silicone sealant.
RVer-Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #14

I have a jay flight 33bhts that has the same leak. We don't have a truck to haul it to the dealer and fulltiming makes it hard as well. Guess I should get some clear caulking.
mjcromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 AM   #15

Shower Leaks

My shower leaks too. It appears to be leaking at the lower corner of the glass. I noticed water on the bathroom floor at the bedroom door. I think I'll have the DW get in the shower and spray everywhere and look for leaks. The dealer is a 2hr drive away so I'll try the DIY silicone sealing first.

Sounds like this has been a problem for awhile - you'd think Jayco would figure it out??
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYCAMPER View Post
My shower leaks too. It appears to be leaking at the lower corner of the glass. I noticed water on the bathroom floor at the bedroom door. I think I'll have the DW get in the shower and spray everywhere and look for leaks. The dealer is a 2hr drive away so I'll try the DIY silicone sealing first.

Sounds like this has been a problem for awhile - you'd think Jayco would figure it out??
Remember that the source of the leak can be a couple of feet away from where the water is seen. For instance, the ends of the trough under the door are not sealed and water can seep in there, run the entire length of the side frame and appear at the end of the shower at the wall. Also, take off the access door and look for leaks under the shower. That is where my biggest leak was.