Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

Thumbs down Sidekick Grill

I just purchased the 2013 Greyhawk FS. It came with the sidekick grill. There is a dreadful problem with this system. Did no one at Jayco test out the fact that the tubing to the propane outlet doesn't reach the grill? Yes, shocking that the grill brackets were moved out from the wall of the camper and therefore the tubing that came along with our new grill doesn't make it to the grill.

This is our second Jayco unit. We could have chosen any company anywhere and we stuck by them. Now I'm not so sure what other simple features have been overlooked. Very disappointed in their quality assurance department as this should have not passed the mustard so easily.

Did I mention while we were signing the papers for our new unit at Dixie RV in Defuniak Springs, FL another salesman had another family in it for a test drive. They were driving out and back for hours but we didn't pick up on that this was our unit.
Yes, they dented the bedroom cabinet with the bunk ladder and said sorry. We got the unit with half a tank of gas...never do business with them again.

So we don't use the grill and will now be left to contact the manufacturer for some help. Let's hope this doesn't cost us.
mcdowellfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #2

Mcdowellfive, I have moved your "Sidekick Grill" thread to "Jayco Problems and Issues". I believe you have a legitimate concern that the dealer should handle, under warranty or otherwise. I hope all of your concerns with your new Jayco gets corrected. Meanwhile, welcome to Jayco Owners Forum.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #3

Sidekick Grill

I'm assuming you are referring to the supplied hose being too short. Our Palimino which was a Forest River product had the same issue. I bought a 15' hose so I could place the grill wherever I wanted. Pretty easy fix.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum and that's a bummer about the test drive incident. I have to admit that it made me laugh though...almost could have been a scene from a movie. Reminds me of the parking attendants on Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I'm not sure if the hose thing would make me steer clear of Jayco in particular. All RV manufactures do stuff like that from time to time. I agree with the previous poster except I'd show it to the dealer and firmly but nicely suggest that they supply you with a longer hose at no charge. I'd also get them to fill her up and replace the dented panel. You might convince them by suggesting that a synopsis of your experience with their dealership might end up on Facebook or the Jayco owners forum.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
You might convince them by suggesting that a synopsis of your experience with their dealership might end up on Facebook or the Jayco owners forum.

Right on McFarm! Looks like it's already posted on a forum. Now the dealer has the opportunity to fix the problem and I'd bet the update to the forum post would have a "happy ending". But, I think letting a unit go on a test drive after being sold is just bad practice. I was test-driving cars a few years ago and saw one that I would like to try out, salesman told me "Nope, already sold". Would I toss my keys to a stranger in the parking lot who said, "hey, nice ride"? Nope!
At the very least they owe you a tank of fuel and I'd suggest an oil change when it's due.
The hose for the sidekick should be a no-brainer on the dealer's part. We have the sidekick and while our supply host reaches, it's just not a very impressive grill.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Site Team

I would expect that your dealer should be able to resolve your complaint thru Jayco. Stuff like this happens and the dealers responsibility is to resolve it to your satisfaction.

I am not a big fan of the sidekick grill but am using it until it goes kaput at home. It was already in the camper when I purchased it. (the hose was long enough)
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #7

Welcome to the group Mcd I am sure that if you talk to your dealer or Jayco they will fix you up with a line that is long enough... I bet someone just grabbed on from the wrong parts bin
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #8

I also have the side kick grill that came with our 2012 Greyhawk 31DS. The hose is short on ours as well. I just slide the grill a few inches toward the connection and it gives enough lenght on the hose. As far as the dealer problem, we purchased our Greyhawk from Dixie RV on Hammond, LA. I beleive they are owned by the same people. They have been extremely helpful on all warrenty repairs. The biggest was the helper springs hitting the drain line connection on the fresh water tank. It took 3 repairs to finally get it corrected, which involved removing some spacers on the helper springs and replacing the tank. They have also fixed the cosmetic issues that we found. If you are having difficulties with them, you can alwasy send Jayco customer service an email and atleast let them know you are having warrenty items that are not being repaired by your dealer.
Troy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #9

Smile Side kick grill hose too short, or not?

Same problem with out 2012 31DS, the hose from the grill to the propane connection point too short. I crawled underneath to look at the connection point and found that the bracket holding the hose was missing a screw, another screw up by Jayce. I removed and reattached the bracket and hose closer to the grill and all is well now. An easy fix in my case.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:01 AM   #10

Grill Supply Hose too Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippers View Post
Same problem with out 2012 31DS, the hose from the grill to the propane connection point too short. I crawled underneath to look at the connection point and found that the bracket holding the hose was missing a screw, another screw up by Jayce. I removed and reattached the bracket and hose closer to the grill and all is well now. An easy fix in my case.
Our was also too short - dealer immediately replaced with one that fit properly.
jbayone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:03 AM   #11

Drain Line Damaged by helper springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy M View Post
I also have the side kick grill that came with our 2012 Greyhawk 31DS. The hose is short on ours as well. I just slide the grill a few inches toward the connection and it gives enough lenght on the hose. As far as the dealer problem, we purchased our Greyhawk from Dixie RV on Hammond, LA. I beleive they are owned by the same people. They have been extremely helpful on all warrenty repairs. The biggest was the helper springs hitting the drain line connection on the fresh water tank. It took 3 repairs to finally get it corrected, which involved removing some spacers on the helper springs and replacing the tank. They have also fixed the cosmetic issues that we found. If you are having difficulties with them, you can alwasy send Jayco customer service an email and atleast let them know you are having warrenty items that are not being repaired by your dealer.
In my case, drain line from the sink has a hole punched in it by the helper spring adjacent to the right rear wheel well. (2015 Greyhawk 31FK) In the dealer now for repair. Hopefully no other damage from the apparent repeated impact to the pipe.
jbayone is offline   Reply With Quote