Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #1

Skylight Replacement Question

I ordered a new polycarbonate skylight to replace the cracked factory original acrylic one. The skylight I ordered came with SB140. For some reason I was under the impression that I would put a bead of SB140 between the EPDM and the skylight and then use dicor to seal the edges and the fastener. Going over the instructions it looks like I am supposed to use butyl tape between the skylight and roof and then use the SB140 to seal the edges and the screws where I was going to use dicor. Not using the SB140 will void the warranty so I'm assuming that goes for not using butyl tape as directed.

My issue is that I don't have any butyl tape and no one in this town sells it. And of course I already removed the old skylight and started cleaning the old tape and dicor off the roof. Fortunately there is no rain foretasted for the next week, which I can trust as I live in the desert. So does anyone know a way around using the butyl tape or am I going to be finishing this project in a few days?
Old 05-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwindone View Post
I ordered a new polycarbonate skylight to replace the cracked factory original acrylic one. The skylight I ordered came with SB140. For some reason I was under the impression that I would put a bead of SB140 between the EPDM and the skylight and then use dicor to seal the edges and the fastener. Going over the instructions it looks like I am supposed to use butyl tape between the skylight and roof and then use the SB140 to seal the edges and the screws where I was going to use dicor. Not using the SB140 will void the warranty so I'm assuming that goes for not using butyl tape as directed.

My issue is that I don't have any butyl tape and no one in this town sells it. And of course I already removed the old skylight and started cleaning the old tape and dicor off the roof. Fortunately there is no rain foretasted for the next week, which I can trust as I live in the desert. So does anyone know a way around using the butyl tape or am I going to be finishing this project in a few days?

Well, the pinch you are in, I would put a bead of silicone down in place of the tape. Or.....order the tape from camping world or Amazon and have it shipped overnight. If you can wait for the shipping I would do the tape.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Couple View Post
Well, the pinch you are in, I would put a bead of silicone down in place of the tape. Or.....order the tape from camping world or Amazon and have it shipped overnight. If you can wait for the shipping I would do the tape.
Do not use silicone. There are far better adhesive caulks available and, once you put down silicone and it cures, nothing will ever stick there again, including more silicone.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:55 PM   #4

Disaster averted, mom and pop hardware store in the next town sells tons of mobile home stuff, so they had butyl tape. All installed and looks great. Leak test in two days. Thanks!
northwindone is offline   Reply With Quote