Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #41

Had same seam issue

My 2011 26RLS had the seam issue on the slide resolved without issue with local dealer along with one other minor issue ( Hinge pins on both vents would pop out after a road trip and be found laying in the screen ).

I have been doing business with same dealer through last 17 years. Must admit I did little shopping around for this unit since I have only had good experiences with these folks. They even opened a new shop less than 4 miles from my house that I have to drive by on my way to work.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #42

Our 05 Eagle has the same problem- Guess we'll be calling our tech to fix what seems to be a long term deficiency in Jayco quality control- JMHO- Don
Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #43

Same here.....Today, after reading this thread, I went out to clean my rook and also to scheck the tape. To my dismay, the tape on both of my slides is about 60% rippled. I am disappointed, but was kind of hapy that at least all the cauking under the tape looks good. I will bring it to the dealer soon, I have until April of this year until my factory warranty runs out. Also, on one of the slides, there are bubbles near the edge located by the tape, what do you guys think about a bubbling roof?
chopshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #44

Went out to check mine and the main slide seems fine, but the bedroom slide is certainly not. In addition I found a number of other issues which are going to merit a trip to the dealer. Sent a note to them already hope to get it in and out before memorial day!
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #45

Would that be Eternabond tape that Jayco uses on the slide roof??
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #46

I don't think that it's Eternabond, it seems like it's just a plastic tape. Got my appointment for Friday, going to get everything fixed up!
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #47

Eternabond isn't the only one that makes sealing tape. Dicor also makes one though it is nowhere as popular as Eternabond (I have yet to se a user report on it). I'm sure there are other brands.

Considering the high failure rate being reported, either Jayco is using an inferior brand or isn't properly prepping the surface before applying (or both).
Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #48

I think I will check on the other brands of tape to see if I can find something a little more cost effective. I know, I know, you get what you pay for.........
Old 03-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopshop View Post
I think I will check on the other brands of tape to see if I can find something a little more cost effective. I know, I know, you get what you pay for.........
I've seen countless reports on Eternabond, the vast majority being good. Those that weren't usually were attributed to poor surface prep.

I haven't seen any reports on other brands. I would strongly suggest staying with Eternabond. If you do the work yourself, get the thinner of the two tapes (don't use the WebSeal; it's good stuff but not for this application). Also get the primer. Clean the surface of all loose stuff throroughly, getting it as flat as possible, and then give the surface a final cleaning with acetone. Follow the directions for the primer and apply the tape. Remove only short sections of the backing because once that stuff contacts the surface, it grips like a hungry pit bull. Use a steel roller to roll down the tape to ensure it adheres. Don't be afraid to roll too hard. Since the slide seals have to go over the lip caused by the Eternabond, apply a bead of a good caulk (not silicone) along the edge of the tape to make a ramp for the slide seal to slide over. Don't use a self leveling caulk.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:27 AM   #50

I've just had the tape on the slide out changed again. If I was a owner of the company I'd be furious that this is still happening. at the very least a notice suggesting the owners be aware of this should have been sent out. I was thinking that the tape was only used as a safety measure to keep the water away from the corner. I haven't seen other manufacturers having this problem.i think they should have used a more rigid piece of material for that area.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

That piece of tape is important because it covers the lap edge of the slide trim and the screws that hold the slide trim down over the slide roofing material. The issue could be:

* Not enough pressure (hand roller) applied to activate the adhesive to the roofing surface.
* Poor adhesive on tape .
* Poor surface preparation (this is extremely important).
* Adhesive not compatible to slide roofing material.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread my '05' Eagle slide tape has held up well over the years, but there were signs of the screw heads coming through the existing tape. This past summer I finally removed all of the old OEM slide tape and replaced it with EternaBond Sealing Tape, no problems to-date.

This was a little more of a project than I anticipated because I had to use a hot hair dryer to work up the old tape slowly, it took about an hour to get it all up, then clean the surface with lacquer thinner. My EternaBond application after a few weeks in the weather ...,

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

I would say that part of the problem is that they are stretching the tape during application which causes internal stress or forces in the tape material. These types of materials have a memory if you would and you want to adhere two materials together at a state of equal strain (stretch). Since the roof or trim material is at zero strain state, you want to apply the tape at zero strain. I seen in one post in this thread that the service guy said the tech didn't stretch the tape during application. This is absolutely the wrong thing to do when applying tapes to surfaces. To demonstrate this effect, take 2 pices of masking tape of equal lengths. Lay one on a table flat with the sticky side up (if it curls, you can add a small pice of tape to both ends, but don't stretch the tape). Now take a 2nd pice of masking tape and pull it tight with you hands apart and then attach it to the 1st piece of tape. Release the 2 plys of tape and you will see significant bow in the tape from being combined at unequal strain. If you do the same experiment, but don't strain the 2nd piece of tape, when you release them they will lay flat. I've spent 34 years gluing webs together for Procter & Gamble and this is web combining 101 in the industry. If you read the Eternabond instructions, they also specifically state not to stretch the material during application. I can see techs thnking just the opposite to make sure they don't get any wrinkles.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 AM   #53

The stretching logic presented above does make sense, however, a company that's been around as long as Jayco should be aware of this. Still seems like a huge quality control issue.

Rustic Eagle - I really like your EternaBond tape job. I did something similar on my old camper. I still have some left for when my current camper goes out of warranty!
Chazinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #54

Better late than never! Just saw my 2010 313RK has the same problem. Had the main slide in and was changing a bulb when I saw it.

2002 Chevrolet Duramax 2500 crew cab 4x4
2010 Jayco 313RK
dannygraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #55

Eternabond issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I've seen countless reports on Eternabond, the vast majority being good. Those that weren't usually were attributed to poor surface prep.

I haven't seen any reports on other brands. I would strongly suggest staying with Eternabond. If you do the work yourself, get the thinner of the two tapes (don't use the WebSeal; it's good stuff but not for this application). Also get the primer. Clean the surface of all loose stuff throroughly, getting it as flat as possible, and then give the surface a final cleaning with acetone. Follow the directions for the primer and apply the tape. Remove only short sections of the backing because once that stuff contacts the surface, it grips like a hungry pit bull. Use a steel roller to roll down the tape to ensure it adheres. Don't be afraid to roll too hard. Since the slide seals have to go over the lip caused by the Eternabond, apply a bead of a good caulk (not silicone) along the edge of the tape to make a ramp for the slide seal to slide over. Don't use a self leveling caulk.
I wished I would have come across this thread 2 years ago. I put Eternabond on my slide out as well. It was fine for a year. Then, last year when we had all that 100 degree weather, it softened the glue. When I pulled my slide it, the slideout seal scrunched the outer layer of the Eternabond to expose the glue underneath. Horrible mess! I ended up replacing my slideout seal because of the sticky mess. My prep was correct, but I didn't use a bead of caulk on the edge of the tape like Lady Fitzgerald suggests. If I had, I would have avoided this problem, the frustration, and the expense.
rvrev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #56

I have always used eterna bond tape as well. I used it on my old Eagle with great success.

I also have a good working relationship with my dealer. To hear that this is still an issue is disappointing. I'm going to have everything checked again this spring as the warranty expires in April. You'd think that Jayco would have addressed this by now.

Planning on having the dealer redo all of the seams as part of regular maintenance. I'd normally do this myself, but as I have had all of these problems I want them to do it so that when there is a problem with the roof I'll be able to hold Jayco responsible, hopefully!
Chazinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #57

I'm coming late to this party but just noticed this happening to one of the slides on my 5er so I did a search and found this thread. Thanks for the info. Will be contacting dealer for warranty fix.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #58

I just noticed my slide tape was doing the same thing. Dealer repaired under warranty. My 5er was built in August of 2011.
hockeydad3061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:48 PM   #59

Just purchased a 2009 JayFlight G2 32BHDS and both bump outs have the same issue. The tape is almost completely removed (curled up) and the roof under the tape doesn't have that flat feel, like the rest of the roof. Since the trailer is at a seasonal site and not moving anytime soon, I would be doing the repair. Is the existing tape easy to remove and replace? Also I am assuming EternaBond RSW-4-50 White Roof Seal tape is the preferred replacement tape?
Topher24 is offline   Reply With Quote