Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

Summerizing - Fresh Water Pump Issues

The plumbing system was winterized last Fall by the book. Yesterday I filled the fresh water tank 1/2 full and installed the battery to begin the season. All of the valves were in their proper positions.

I turned on the pump and opened the cold water faucet and immediately I saw a bit of anti-freeze come out. Then it turned clear. However, the water flow was noticably low. I closed the faucet and the pump continued to run. It was like it couldn't reach full pressure.

I continued to bleed all the cold water faucets, and then went to the hot water. Naturally I got a lot of air out because the HW Tank was empty. I reached a point where all the air was bled from all lines and all had a clear flow, but the pump would still not shut off.

I checked the water line from the tank to the pump and it was indeed full of water with no air. All through this ordeal I did at times see some small bubbles in the clear glass pump filter.

After sitting down and having a beer I gave it another try and to my amazement it worked OK.

Last year I did the same procedure and it worked right at the getgo. Any ideas what I did wrong this year?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

A continually running water pump is usually indicative of a water use somewhere in the system. Since you were also filling your HW tank, its possible the low flow and running pump was because the HW tank was still filling and once it was full the issue was solved.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #3

I don't think you did anything wrong. Air is very compressible. Last year you might have had the water heater bypass valves closed.

When I have our water heater drained and I turn on the pump with the faucets closed the pump will run for a long time to build up pressure, I would guess about 2-3 gallons of water pumped into the tank before the pressure builds up to shut off the pump.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Team

Sounds to me like it was just airbound. That`s happened to me a few times, and once I even had to draw water through the winterizing tube to prime the pump and get the air out.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the comments. Airbound was my diagnosis, but I couldn't figure out why it worked OK last year.

I didn't have the manual with me so I went by memory (bad idea at my age). Looking at the manual when I got home it says to open all the faucets when you are filling the fresh water tank. I guess I'll do that next year.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #6

I had that problem a few years ago where the pump wouldn't turn off when de-winterizing but it turned out a bit different than yours. While the water pump was running, I walked around the FW and found water was "running" out the driver side front corner near the jack. Turns out, I messed up the prior fall and must have left some water in the line running under the shower. I pulled up the pan and, lo and behold, there was a cracked pipe. Was lucky enough to get it fixed the same day since it was early in the season and the dealer who did the repair was not all that busy. Good thing yours started working properly without any problems.
2013 Polaris Sportsman 550 EXP
2008 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2
jal0710 is offline   Reply With Quote