Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #1

Tapping Noise - Onan Microquiet 4000 Gen

Hello Crew

I'm going through the growing pains of being a new rv owner.

One issue i'm having is with the generator. The noise if very distinct and sounds like it does when I prime prior to starting. It is intermittent after running for a bit but enough that very annoying when dry camping.

Any thoughts? Experience? I tried to search for this to see if it had already been discussed on here but didn't find anything. Please direct me there if it has.

Thanks

EDITED: Added sound file.
Attached Files
Maestro402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #2

You say the noise is intermittent; could it be that you are hearing a change in noise when the generator is under load? The sound definitely changes and becomes a little louder when you use high wattage items (AC, microwave, hair dryer).

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird47 View Post
You say the noise is intermittent; could it be that you are hearing a change in noise when the generator is under load? The sound definitely changes and becomes a little louder when you use high wattage items (AC, microwave, hair dryer).

Hey Snowbird47,
Thanks for replying. No its not that sound. Its more of a tapping literally almost the same sound the gen makes when priming. Read a couple posts on another forum that made it sound like it could be fuel line, filter or pump. I have an audio recording of it but trying to find a way to post.

Maestro402
------------
"Life is better in my RV"
Old 08-23-2016, 08:18 AM   #4

How long do you all hold down prime prior to starting Gen?
Old 08-23-2016, 08:34 AM   #5

Onan says up to one minute to perform corrective action such as after changing the fuel filter or other conditions such as when the generator hunts under load.
With the gas generators I would always hold it until there was a change in the pump noise (5-10 seconds) indicating fuel throughout the entire fuel line and filters.
I don't always prime with the diesel generator but the preheat/start/prime is usually sufficient.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
Onan says up to one minute to perform corrective action such as after changing the fuel filter or other conditions such as when the generator hunts under load.
With the gas generators I would always hold it until there was a change in the pump noise (5-10 seconds) indicating fuel throughout the entire fuel line and filters.
I don't always prime with the diesel generator but the preheat/start/prime is usually sufficient.
Thank you. I was just wondering if i wasn't priming long enough and causing an issue. Just hunting for a reason. I am under warranty and have an appt at dealer but it's not for another couple weeks.

Curiosity is killing me.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:57 PM   #7

So I am on the right track I believe. I narrowed the noise and vibration to fuel filter or pump. When it started making that sound input my hand on the fuel line where it meets filter and it was vibrating to the beat. Ha.

Oi vey.

Maestro402
------------
Old 08-23-2016, 07:22 PM   #8

So it's the pump.
Many people have reported taking their Onan to a service center only to be without it for days and "no problem found".
With the 5500 Marquis Gold gas in our first RV of 10 years I had to replace the fuel pump once because it would not run with ambient temps over 90F and the carburetor once for not running it at least once a month with a 50% load.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
So it's the pump.

Many people have reported taking their Onan to a service center only to be without it for days and "no problem found".

With the 5500 Marquis Gold gas in our first RV of 10 years I had to replace the fuel pump once because it would not run with ambient temps over 90F and the carburetor once for not running it at least once a month with a 50% load.

Yeah. Im going to take to service ctr w this info and hopefully it wont be an eternity to fix.

Maestro402
------------