Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 PM   #1

The best stuff to put on roof to minimize black streaks?

I have a 2017 Jay Flight 28 BHBE. I washed it yesterday after sitting all winter.

Holy h#ll! I scrubbed and scrubbed to get the black streaks off the aluminum siding. Still not completely gone. I just read tonight that LA's Totally Awesome or Simple Green works best. Ok..I'll try that next time.

Now...what can I do to the roof to prevent this mess the next time? I had a fiberglass bodied camper before. Black streaks came off easy with a little coat of wax. This aluminum siding is a pain!

Thanks in advance!
TednWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #2

The tpo roof isn't causing the streaks. It's the moldings and all the other trim and stuff around it. Tpo roofing does not streak like epdm. Nothing you can do to the tpo roof to make things better.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:21 AM   #3

A clean roof reduces the streaks somewhat, but you will never eliminate them completely. When it rains the dust, pollen and natural elements create the streak over time.

The only real way to keep them under control is a clean trailer and try to keep it out from under trees which multiply the process when in storage. Gutter extensions too can push the water out further to help it from running down the sides.

A good wax will also help you clean them off throughout the season.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 AM   #4

I picked up a super size jug of this stuff at an RV show last year.

https://www.reliableproductsonline.c.../rv-128-11.htm

Full strength (followed by a fresh rinse) it easily removes back streaks from the aluminum siding. I also use it diluted (a few ounces to 5 gall of water) to clean the roof. I hear the Totally Awesome works good, but I've never tried it.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #5

I use Thetford Black Streak and Bug Remover. This stuff is amazing and has never failed me. Spray it on, dip the long handle brush in the wash bucket, a quick scrub with the brush and rinse. Nice and clean and also no bugs left.
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #6

I spoke directly to Dicor about our non-fleece TPO roof that they made. They told me use only non-petroleum cleaners like Spic n Span, Murphy Oil Soap, or their products. They told me not to waste my money on protectants (including theirs) as the membrane is already/inherently UV and weather protected. Their recommendation was clearly less is more. I use Murphy Soap to clean, and I do use 303 Aero Space Protectant on it.

I wash the body of the unit with high quality auto soap, like Turtle Wax Ice (great product line). I then treat the walls, seals, and every nook and cranny with the 303 Aero Space. You can treat all of the metal, rubber, vinyl, and plastic with it. It holds up to rain and washing really well. I apply it 2-3 times/year. The way it protects, beads, and stays with the material is very rewarding and worth the work. I am a huge fan of the stuff!
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #7

Simple Green works, I like Spray Power, it takes almost all the bugs off the front clip without scrubbing. I use it full strength. Followed up with a carwash with wax. Very easy to do. I am sure it strips off any old wax, but, I only use carwash with wax, and my 2012 still looks new. And I never have to scrub.

As for the eliminating the streaks starting, I just wash my roof at least twice a year, with Dawn dish soap or the same carwash wax miv

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:49 PM   #8

I just wax mine twice a year but then again it's only 21' long .