Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #1

Tips for filling water tank?

We are taking a trip this summer that will involve a couple of dry camp sites so we'll need to fill our tank.

Any tips on the most efficient way to fill? Last time I seem to recall standing by fill pipe with the hose in hand. I am thinking we should fill at the last camp spot before we dry camp? Don't really want to trudge over the sierras with a full belly if we don't have to buy some camps frown upon that or so I've heard. Up till now most of our outings have been with water/electric hookups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2017, 02:45 AM   #2

I have and use this. Water Tank Filler with Shut-Off Valve - Camco 40003 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #3

X2 here also. Using this sure beats standing there holding the hose waiting for 88 gallons to fill my trailer water tank.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:20 AM   #4

X3 on the EZ-Fill. Simple little device and really helps.

Also, crawl underneath and cap the two vent hoses while traveling. The sloshing during accelleration, braking and doing hills will 'vent' 20% of your water.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #5

I was planning on getting one of those FW tank fill with shutoff deals but then someone here, I think Mustang, mentioned getting one of the Hot Water Tank Flush Wands.

It is basically the same thing but dual purpose. It isn't like either one is that expensive but why have two things when one will do both tasks.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #6
Site Team

The outlet on the water heater flusher is small, and results in increased water pressure compared to the other. Not any difference in theory, just will take longer to fill the tank.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The outlet on the water heater flusher is small, and results in increased water pressure compared to the other. Not any difference in theory, just will take longer to fill the tank.
True, both are pretty cheap as I mentioned. I guess it depends on your situation. We boondock not too far from home (30 miles maybe) and there is no place to get water on the way so we just fill up before leaving. Hook up the hose and let it sit while we load stuff up and hitch up the camper. Also our FW tank is only 42 gallons. If you were filling up on the way or when you got to your destination then the time to fill would be more of an issue.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:02 AM   #8
Site Team

I agree, filling at home is more casual than waiting in line at the campground potable water spigot. Even though our TT holds 90 gallons, its never been filled that full. I just fill until the next fellow in line gets that anxious look on his face. Seems to take longer to fill, when you're trying to hurry!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #9

Filling the tank does take forever I have 90 gal tank as well. One thing I learned long ago never fill till water until it come out the over fill hose if you do as you drive water moves around the tank and just spills out. I watch the tank fill lights once number 4 lights up I count to 30 and shut the tank Fill hose off. Never have a issue doing that. As far as waiting in line to fill I walk back to each truck and tell them how long I will be in front of them.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #10

easy and clean

this is my set-up works great for just fill-ups and for direct water hook up
Attached Thumbnails
filter.jpg  
sobuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodro123 View Post
Filling the tank does take forever I have 90 gal tank as well. One thing I learned long ago never fill till water until it come out the over fill hose if you do as you drive water moves around the tank and just spills out. I watch the tank fill lights once number 4 lights up I count to 30 and shut the tank Fill hose off. Never have a issue doing that. As far as waiting in line to fill I walk back to each truck and tell them how long I will be in front of them.

I use this to measure how many gallons I'm putting in Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5882.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	30411

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #12

This coming weekend I will be camping at campground without dedicated RV water spigot. What is the common etiquette on using water thief adapter on a non-threaded water source?

If I cannot use the adapter, I would just use 5 gallon jug to refill the FW tank. Do you use any particular funnels to refill the tank?
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #13

I have a 3 foot section of old white hose that I attach to a full length potable water hose. The 3 foot section does not have a male bib end so it slides right in the fresh water filling spout.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
This coming weekend I will be camping at campground without dedicated RV water spigot. What is the common etiquette on using water thief adapter on a non-threaded water source?

If I cannot use the adapter, I would just use 5 gallon jug to refill the FW tank. Do you use any particular funnels to refill the tank?
depends on the situation; first I never keep it connected. I might run a hose from the faucet, to the TT. Fill up and disconnect. Most of the time, when I use it, I connect my water bandit, then connect that short water filler shown above to it, then place my 5 gallon jug under it, so I do not have to hold the jug as I fill it.

Once I get back to the TT, if I pour the water directly into the gravity/country fill port, I will place the water bandit and fill spout onto the end of the water jug, which makes filling the gravity fill easier. Often, I use the antifreeze port to fill my FW tank. My outside shower hose will reach my gravity fill port, so I take the head off, and shove it down the port. Then flip the valves at the pump and place the antifreeze pickup tub in to my 5 gallon jug and turn on the pump and open the cold water shower valve. Takes a little longer, but I do not have to lift and pour water, all over my feet. You can also have a cool drink of choice, while the water transfers.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote