Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #1

Learn something about how to remove tires.

I'm trying to get a tire off of the trailer and I must be a moron because I'm not able to figure out how to get these things off. The lugnut covers seem to be a 13/16 socket only they just spin. I've read a ton about faux covers with two that are legit but I can't tell that two are real and will unscrew. Those seem to be on wheels with large covers and these aren't.

This is on my 2016 Jayco Eagle 284bhbe with the 16" maxxis wheel upgrade package.

I've checked the tools that came with it and the tool that let's down the spare seems to almost fit but they still just spin. Can anyone point me at what I'm missing here?

Photos below.

https://goo.gl/photos/bU2VxQpN2Hf1TUVG8
https://goo.gl/photos/7H1guwZVCUUHg681A
https://goo.gl/photos/xQcpUMZA8zhSdA2x9

Thanks for the help.

Retired: 2014 X23B
mitechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #2

That's your stabilizer jack wrench.
It doesn't fit the wheel lug nuts.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #3

That tool appears to be for your stabilizer jacks. You probably just need a thinner wall socket to clear the aluminum wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #4

When new my trailer did not come with a lug wrench. Probably your trailer was not equipped with a lug nut wrench.

I think that most either buy a "X" lug nut wrench or carry a breaker bar and the appropriate socket.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #5

Thanks. I happened to be getting new tires on the TV today and talked with the folks at the tire shop. They're saying that it often happens with the alum. rims that the studs will spin like that and the only thing to do is to get at them from behind and/or put a tack weld on the back there to stop them from spinning. Since I'm taking the trailer in to the RV dealer next Wed to get the wheel well looked at I think I'll just end up having them look at it. A big damper on the 4th weekend, but oh well.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitechie View Post
Thanks. I happened to be getting new tires on the TV today and talked with the folks at the tire shop. They're saying that it often happens with the alum. rims that the studs will spin like that and the only thing to do is to get at them from behind and/or put a tack weld on the back there to stop them from spinning. Since I'm taking the trailer in next wed to get the wheel well looked at I think I'll just end up having them look at it. A big damper on the 4th weekend, but oh well.
Your using the wrong wrench on the tires.. and the tire shop is taking advantage of you... I have never had a problem with the studs rotating on any RV I have ever owned.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Your using the wrong wrench on the tires.. and the tire shop is taking advantage of you... I have never had a problem with the studs rotating on any RV I have ever owned.
The trailer isn't at the tire shop. They didn't offer to do anything to it. They're suggestion was that they'd just tack welded the back of the studs on their own. I don't think they're doing anything to take advantage of me.

The trailer is still under warranty and I am taking it in to the RV dealer next wed to get the wheel well sheetmetal liner replaced since it was yanked out last weekend. I'll let them deal with it.

I've tried 3/4, 13/32 deep, thin walled sockets, and even a 20/21MM socket just to check. I've tried a 4-way lugnut wrench, and I've tried a normal short thicker walled socket set. If there's a tool that's meant to prevent them from spinning and loosen I'm all ears.

The only reason I noted the jack tool was I had read about a lot of lugnut covers on there that some special t-wrench helps pull off, but I don't think that's the situation here at all. I should have left that note out of the post. I was just frustrated after a couple of hours of work not being able to get a tire off a vehicle. I've had my share of roadside tire changes and I was frustrated that this trailer was kicking my butt. I'm just glad I haven't had a trailer flat or I'd be even more frustrated trying to do this on the side of the road.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #8

Just an FYI, the TIRES are the black rubber piece between your wheel and the road. The WHEEL is the part that is bolted to the trailer hub. I'm not trying to talk down to you, but when you use the wrong terminology you open the door for someone to see you as a mark and potentially take advantage of you.

The lug nuts used on the wheels on the Jayco's are a standard size. I have a standard 4 way lug nut wrench and it takes my lug nuts off easily. Perhaps your hub bolts are stripped, explaining why the nuts are spinning.

I ALWAYS make sure that I have the proper tools (top include a jack) to fix these issues and I make sure to always TEST it in my driveway once. Make sure I can jack up my trailer, take the hub cover off, have a lug wrench that fits and take the lug nuts off. Much easier and less frustrating in my driveway than on the side of the freeway, in the rain.

Good luck.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #9
Site Team

[QUOTE=spoon059;538247]The WHEEL is the part that is bolted to the trailer hub.
QUOTE]

Funny, I thought that was called the rim. I guess we can all call them wrong sometimes.

Lets keep this light, no one wants to have their intelligence criticized especially when they are frustrated.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #10

back in the day we always refereed to the rims and tires. Wheels was what we drove around in. i.e. " i got a new set of wheels" meant that you got a new car. But I have over the years started seeing wheels as referring to the rims as being more and more common.

I do have to bite my tongue every time some one says " hot water heater"

there's no such thing. We just have water heaters. Why would you need to heat water that is already hot !
Old 06-28-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
Site Team

I think mitechie is referring to a decorative chrome or plastic cover on the lug nut itself. They can be a bear to deal with.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #12

[QUOTE=norty1;538281]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
The WHEEL is the part that is bolted to the trailer hub.
Quote:

Funny, I thought that was called the rim. I guess we can all call them wrong sometimes...

Wheels and rims are often used interchangeably but I believe that wheel would be more correctly used to refer to the combination of a rim with a tire mounted on it.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress View Post
...I do have to bite my tongue every time some one says " hot water heater"

there's no such thing. We just have water heaters. Why would you need to heat water that is already hot !
To heat water that is still hot but has cooled from hot enough to not hot enough. Water heaters (or hot water heaters) do not wait until the water is cold before firing up to bring it backup to temperature. They fire up while the water is still somewhat hot.

An exception to that would be tankless water heaters. They do heat up water from cold to hot on demand instead of firing up every so often to maintain the temperature of hot water in a tank.

But, then again, we are playing semantics here
Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #14

Initially I was also going to say that yes you are using the wrong wrench. After reading your later post I suspect that yes the studs in the hubs are usually serrated and are pounded into the hub from the backside. I suspect from what you are saying that the serrated stud is spinning in the hub. Someone over tightened with an impact gun. If the nuts are spinning and spinning then I would say the wheels are not correctly tightened and could come off. I would not tow this unit around too much and DEFINATLY have the dealer look at it. Your not too dumb to take wheels off. Just be careful pulling it around too much. May be worth having the dealer come to you. Stay safe and good luck
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 03:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I think mitechie is referring to a decorative chrome or plastic cover on the lug nut itself. They can be a bear to deal with.
Ding! That's the ticket. I called my RV dealer and after some tossing got a hold of a tech who said "Those are protective covers that look like lugnuts. Just take a screwdriver and mallet and destroy them. We'll get you a new set when you bring it in next week".

So I hesitantly did what was asked and voila:

https://goo.gl/photos/VfLoimJkfTGuxK7cA

Repeat 6 times:

https://goo.gl/photos/km6yYzfevJEMMee17

And here's the lugnuts I was looking for:

https://goo.gl/photos/J27RLdkfWkYdgxUo9

And finally I could get up into the wheel well to put my temp repair on the sheetmetal that's ripped out until I can get it to the dealer next week. Yay we're camping over the 4th after all.

https://goo.gl/photos/dPUXF12hys7ZQBLY8

(and yes, I'd rather have round headed screws but I needed 3" to get up to the floor and this is what I could get today)

I'm sorry for the drama and the mis-user of terms. To be honest this has been more than a bit frustrating as none of it made sense at first. I've never come across these covers like this before and they wouldn't come off! You have to actually drive a screwdriver through them and break the back ring on them to get them off.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:12 PM   #16

Well, that was kind of goofy. What lug nut thought that one up? What's the point of nut covers one has to destroy to get them off? Mayhap you can replace the existing lug nuts (the ones on the wheels, not the lug nuts responsible for the covers; they're a lost cause) with nice chrome plated acorn style lug nuts.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #17

They sure did a good job making those covers look like nuts.
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitechie View Post
Ding! That's the ticket. I called my RV dealer and after some tossing got a hold of a tech who said "Those are protective covers that look like lugnuts. Just take a screwdriver and mallet and destroy them. We'll get you a new set when you bring it in next week".

So I hesitantly did what was asked and voila:

https://goo.gl/photos/VfLoimJkfTGuxK7cA

Repeat 6 times:

https://goo.gl/photos/km6yYzfevJEMMee17

And here's the lugnuts I was looking for:

https://goo.gl/photos/J27RLdkfWkYdgxUo9

And finally I could get up into the wheel well to put my temp repair on the sheetmetal that's ripped out until I can get it to the dealer next week. Yay we're camping over the 4th after all.

https://goo.gl/photos/dPUXF12hys7ZQBLY8

(and yes, I'd rather have round headed screws but I needed 3" to get up to the floor and this is what I could get today)

I'm sorry for the drama and the mis-user of terms. To be honest this has been more than a bit frustrating as none of it made sense at first. I've never come across these covers like this before and they wouldn't come off! You have to actually drive a screwdriver through them and break the back ring on them to get them off.
When I 1st looked at this post and pictures I thought they looked fake, but was sure I would sound like a fool lol. I thought they were covers, but then again I thought they only come in a whole hub cap design.

I guess next time I will offer up the thought and take the heat :-)

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:04 PM   #19
Site Team

My last rig had those but they were not hard to remove, in fact they would fall off sometimes on a bumpy road.

My Jayco has a special type of lug nut that is chrome and das a moveable ring on it that keeps it from loosening. I think they don't use them anymore cause they cost to much. I would get some chrome lug nuts and never fool with those fake lug nut covers.

I could change the title of this thread to:"Learned something new about how to get tires off."
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I could change the title of this thread to:"Learned something new about how to get tires off."
If you can that'd be great. I'm not able to edit it that I can tell. It looks like there's a limited time when you can edit something you wrote but after a bit it's locked out. I guess I should choose a less dramatic title when I'm frustrated next time.