Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
TV Cable wired wrong

We had problems getting TV reception for the first year we had our 23FB. We just thought it was because we were out of range. After checking into it I found that the TV cables where not connected correctly at the booster box. Once I corrected the problem we get great reception even in the mountain valleys of Idaho.

IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
For all the hoopla about what an "improvement"digital television is, I have so far been underwhelmed with reception we experienced in both our RV's with the Winegard "batwing". If you're not precisely aimed toward a transmitter, reception is in and out, some stations you can't get by day mysteriously appear at night. I tried satellite (tripod antenna and a receiver brought from home), took to many beers to aim the dish, not worth the aggravation. At least I got nature, dvd's and country music on the radio! Maybe I'll do the antenna upgrade down the road.

thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #13

I am not doing anything out of the ordinary here. I use the BATWING antenna with the UHF head on it. This antenna has a built-in pre-amp which I have to turn-on with pushing a button on the antenna connection plate inside the trailer. I am using a HDTV VIZIO 22-inch (less than $200 WALMART).
This is photo of my setup on my off-road POPUP camping at Loft Mtn on Skyline Drive. It picked up some 80 digital channels sitting on top of the mtn. Of course most of them was the same channels hehe just picked up from different towns on both sides of the mtn... I have to take down all of this when we pack up for travel. Surprisingly I haven't destroyed anything yet...

This is not my normal pickup of digital stations. Was the only picture I could find in my photo pile to show you my setup. I do get from 6-36 digital stations here on the east side of the US just about everywhere we go here on the east sides. There are perhaps more choices here on the east with the population of big towns being more... The signals are in full screen full blown high def TV signals...

Since we are camping off the power grid alot it is great to be able to get the local 24/7 weather radar stations to keep track of the sudden storms that might come up...

I never tried using one of those digital conversion boxes that were offered when the nation Broadcast digital TV came. I have always use this 22-inch High Def VIZIO tv set...

It is tricky to get the right position sometimes and sometimes the air planes flying over head with cause some problems... All in all however it works great for us and very pleased to have to have it for FREE...

We used to drag around all of our SAT TV dish and receivers but after I saw what I getting with this setup I don't bother bringing along all of the other SAT stuff from the house...

Roy Ken
Roy and Carolyn
I claim Horse Creek Country in Southern Ill - Momabear is from North Texas
We live in King George VA

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #14
Roy, just got back from a weekend in the woods (Salt Springs, CG Ocala Nat'l Forest). About equal distance from Jax & Orlando TV stations, closest to Ocala/Gainesville. Did the auto channel program on the TV when we set up with antenna oriented toward Jax. Nothing. Turned the antenna southeast toward Orlando, got the CBS/ABC affiliate, FOX in Gainesville, U of F PBS channels in Gainesville, and more religious programming than you could shake a Bible at. The reception quality was in and out for all the network channels, but the religious stations all came in fine all the time, day or night (a message there, perhaps). The Orlando stations came in better after sunset, which has always been my experience with digital OTA reception in an RV. The best reception came on that channel the TV referred to as "NO SIGNAL", though the programming was not very exciting...........

thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote