Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2016, 10:28 AM   #1

Angry Unlevel floor on 2016 Melbourne 24L

Has anyone had to deal with the manufacturing defect of an unlevel causing the slide out to grind on the floor? It revealed it self after 11 weeks on the road. Looking back it was a growing noise that we watched and happily took action before any damage. We are surprised nobody wants to take a run at repairing it. Any experience out there with slides and floors??
Safetysnoaccident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:15 AM   #2

Perhaps it's not an un-level floor but a mis-adjusted slide?
If you look at it all from the outside with the slide closed does everything match up such as stripes and molding?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

Yes we did check the slide for fit and squareness every time and the sound kept getting worse. We took it in to a Camping World because the local Jayco Dealer said he would not work on it. The tech at camping world identified the bow in the floor. I now have Jayco warranty service talking to Camping World about what to do next. I am sure Engineering will be involved. The 24L has a 14' slide on the Sprinter frame. This is new to Jayco. It is a wonderful unit and very versatile. Thanks for the tip about the slide.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #4

That's a wide slide out for a 24-25' RV. Do you stay level side to side when you extend the slide. Not that it has any bearing on your problem just curious.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:56 AM   #5

You get the picture. Yes we level up fore and aft then side to side before we send the slide out. We have been consistent with that setup check point. The odd thing is the weight of the slide creates a 3 degree list to the port side. So we are setting up the port side to be a little high then when the slide goes out everything is perfectly level. We have just ordered the HWH leveling system for the Sprinter which should eliminate our listing because we won't be resting on the suspension. Stay tuned for news at 11. Thanks for your interest, Dale
Old 08-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #6

Let me know how the HWH system works out for you. I know you just ordered but here is another choice that I have been looking at.

Bullseye Leveling System at a Discount! - Sprinter-Forum
Also Sprinter-source.com is another forum good for your chassis issues and general RV issues on a Sprinter chassis. Mostly helpful and knowledgeable people like are here.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

The HWH leveling system

We did get the HWH leveling system installed on the coach this past September. Wow what a difference. We pull in to a site to be as level as possible. Leave the coach idling, chalk up, then push a button. Bam we are level. Turn off the coach and then put out the slide and the stabilizers down. The rest of set up is a breeze. The huge benefit is because we are not resting on the suspension the coach does not list 3 degrees to the port when we put the slide out any more. It is still scraping the floor and Jayco has agreed to flying out a driver and taking it back to the factory to repair the floor. Then returning it to us in San Diego. From what I read in the warranty this is an exceptional action for them to take. So yeah for Jayco stepping up and Boo for having the manufacturing defect in the first place. I must say we love the coach because of the big slide and the openness it gives such a small coach. All I can say if anyone has a Melbourne 24L get the HWH leveling system.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetysnoaccident View Post
We did get the HWH leveling system installed on the coach this past September. Wow what a difference. We pull in to a site to be as level as possible. Leave the coach idling, chalk up, then push a button. Bam we are level. Turn off the coach and then put out the slide and the stabilizers down. The rest of set up is a breeze. The huge benefit is because we are not resting on the suspension the coach does not list 3 degrees to the port when we put the slide out any more. It is still scraping the floor and Jayco has agreed to flying out a driver and taking it back to the factory to repair the floor. Then returning it to us in San Diego. From what I read in the warranty this is an exceptional action for them to take. So yeah for Jayco stepping up and Boo for having the manufacturing defect in the first place. I must say we love the coach because of the big slide and the openness it gives such a small coach. All I can say if anyone has a Melbourne 24L get the HWH leveling system.
How much the the HWH leveling system cost you and who installed it for you. We have a 24L and notice the tilt when the slide is out. Thanks.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:20 AM   #9

Wow. If anyone ever told me Jayco would do that I would not have believed them. Sounds like they want to figure out the problem so it can be fixed long term, and in production.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcbice View Post
Wow. If anyone ever told me Jayco would do that I would not have believed them.
Because 95% of the time only the naysayers post, this type of service happens more often than you hear about. JAYCO sold over 40,000 units last year.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
How much the the HWH leveling system cost you and who installed it for you. We have a 24L and notice the tilt when the slide is out. Thanks.
Sorry for the delay we have been on the road for 6 weeks in Idaho and Oregon.
Camping World was having a sale so we got it from them and had them install it. $3780.00 for the LE SY 725 SPTR/3500 #AP52393. $792.00 to install the unit, shipping was $276 and $182.44 for fuse holder, shop supplies, hydraulic fliid, bla bla. So altogether $5030.44 plus sales tax in your area.
We also put on a Roadmaster SB 07-10 SPRINTER #1209-131 incredible sway bar. The bar was $618. and $198 for a total of $816 plus sales tax.
The bar calmed the coach way down on the body roll and motion. Remember it is still abox, right!
The HWH unit took a little getting use to. Read the directions until you know intutitively how they work. We got the auto level but reading the directions that is not always the final adjust unless you are on perfectly flat. We do a lot of Forest Service. I digress, you can do a final adjust with a side only or a back only depending what your level on the floor is telling you. Also the batroom door is a terriffic indicator. If it falls open you are not level. If you can open it and it stays in any position you leave it you have it leveled. I use a 10" speed level checking fore and aft then side to side. I use the floor by the driver. The installer used the refrigerator counter by the stove on our install. I have found when the counter is level I am still listing to the street side. So I went the floor. Soon I am going back and asking them to reset the system to the level on the floor to compensate for the list. Oh we have found the center stabilizers to be a part of the problem. So we stopped using them this last trip and were extatic. I am asking Jayco what use they have and what they think about me taking them off. They are heavy and take up space I can extend my battery tray into. I hope this helps. Don't take me wrong. We love this little coach. It does everything we want it to do. We have had it out 20 weeks in the last 64 since we picked it up the 1st of April last year. Do you have a 16 or 17? Happy Trails, Dale
Old 07-31-2017, 10:24 PM   #12

Dale, thanks for the detailed response. Much appreciated. We have a 2017 Melbourne 24L but it is on a 2016 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 chassis. Will check out Camping World here in Las Vegas to see if they have them and and do the install.

Glad you had a great road trip. We love northern Idaho. Have some friends from Las Vegas who bought a summer home in Sandpoint and just moved there permanently last month.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:05 AM   #13

Any estimate how much weight this added to your RV?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:42 AM   #14

Equalizer systems also has a automatic leveling system for the Sprinter 3500 chassis as well. No experience but several users on the Sprinter-forum like it for other RV brands. No one with a Jayco as far as I know has tried it.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Old 08-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #15

Good to hear. You can Call HWH for installers in your area and do a little shopping too. I think they are in Moscow Iowa. I'll let you know What Jayco says about the stabilers a midships. Ours are for sure not adjuster properly. The winters would be an adjustment but the summers on any lake are simply breathtaking.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #16

Glad to see you are still loving the 24l. I looked at and drove one today. I am concerned about such a large slide. More analyzing to do.
prairielu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #17

It's a real engineering feat for this mighty coach. I'd figure in the HWH system in spite of what the Dealer may say. They don't live in it. We have spent 20 weeks 140 nights in it and love it for the space and function. You give up a little storage but using the bumper for sewer pipe helps. Physics is the only leveling problem. the coach is resting on the suspension and can list. The HWH system lifts all four cournes off the suspension and it can stay level. It's a solid platform, the Benz is up to the task and the space is just right for us. Happy Trails Dale
Old 08-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safetysnoaccident View Post
Sorry for the delay we have been on the road for 6 weeks in Idaho and Oregon.
Camping World was having a sale so we got it from them and had them install it. $3780.00 for the LE SY 725 SPTR/3500 #AP52393. $792.00 to install the unit, shipping was $276 and $182.44 for fuse holder, shop supplies, hydraulic fliid, bla bla. So altogether $5030.44 plus sales tax in your area.
We also put on a Roadmaster SB 07-10 SPRINTER #1209-131 incredible sway bar. The bar was $618. and $198 for a total of $816 plus sales tax.
The bar calmed the coach way down on the body roll and motion. Remember it is still abox, right!
The HWH unit took a little getting use to. Read the directions until you know intutitively how they work. We got the auto level but reading the directions that is not always the final adjust unless you are on perfectly flat. We do a lot of Forest Service. I digress, you can do a final adjust with a side only or a back only depending what your level on the floor is telling you. Also the batroom door is a terriffic indicator. If it falls open you are not level. If you can open it and it stays in any position you leave it you have it leveled. I use a 10" speed level checking fore and aft then side to side. I use the floor by the driver. The installer used the refrigerator counter by the stove on our install. I have found when the counter is level I am still listing to the street side. So I went the floor. Soon I am going back and asking them to reset the system to the level on the floor to compensate for the list. Oh we have found the center stabilizers to be a part of the problem. So we stopped using them this last trip and were extatic. I am asking Jayco what use they have and what they think about me taking them off. They are heavy and take up space I can extend my battery tray into. I hope this helps. Don't take me wrong. We love this little coach. It does everything we want it to do. We have had it out 20 weeks in the last 64 since we picked it up the 1st of April last year. Do you have a 16 or 17? Happy Trails, Dale
Dale, a quick follow up, which Camping World did you go to to get the HWH leveling system and the Roadmaster sway bar installed? One of the two here in the Las Vegas valley had not idea what I was talking about and the other gave us a quote that was way higher than what you posted, even when we pointed out the sale price on the hardware. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #19

The Camping World in San Marcos California. They are a Service Center and store only. No new sales. They focus on motor home repair and have been the only place that will help me. The only Jayco dealer 70 miles away won't even work with me. They are too busy. Id' say call HWH and ask them for high volume installers in your area.
HWH CORPORATION
(ON I-80, Exit 267 South)
2096 MOSCOW ROAD | MOSCOW, IA 52760
Ph: 563-724-3396 | Ph: 800-321-3494 | Fax: 563-724-3408
The discount was not that big of a deal I think like $80. and now That I looked it was a price increase and they held to the quote before the price increase because they could not get me in the shop before the increase. The numbers I gave you earlier are from the invoice but run them by HWH abd verify. It will take some dogged persistence but ir is worth it. It all bepends oh how much you want the coach to be hassle free. Id' say call HWH and ask them for high volume installers in your area. Dale
Old 08-04-2017, 11:07 PM   #20

Dale, thanks again for the information. We do want to add the HWH leveling system to our Melbourne 24L as well as the anti-sway bar. I did speak to HWH day before yesterday. The person I spoke to was not much help. All she did was read the list of dealers and service centers in Las Vegas. Will call again to see if someone else can give me a better answer.