Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #1

Unresponsive RV Dealer

My wife and I have a Jayco Eagle 5th Wheel and are currently staying in Benson Arizona. We've had to have some work done (replacing a commode, bathroom fan and a few other things) since we've been here.
The only local authorized JAYCO dealer / repair shop is a place called RV City, in Huachuca City, Az.
They sent out a repair guy a few weeks ago to trace an electrical problem and to fix our awning. He said it needed a new motor and that the power box in our basement was wired wrong and needed a new box.
The service manager (Gene) said it would be about two weeks. That was FIVE weeks ago.
I just got off the phone with him and he 'promised' they would be out 'sometime' next week to fix everything.
Every time I've called it was one thing or another. First, they didn't have the parts. Then, they were waiting on authorization from Jayco. Then, someone was on vacation. Then someone was out of the office.
I really don't like being lied to, and if this is the way JAYCO handles their customer service, I will recommend to everyone I know to avoid Jayco products in the future.
Jim and Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim and Carolyn View Post
snip.....I really don't like being lied to, and if this is the way JAYCO handles their customer service, I will recommend to everyone I know to avoid Jayco products in the future.
Jim,

I understand your frustration, but unless you speak to Jayco directly on the subject, I wouldn't conclude that this is representative of how Jayco handles their customer service.

Without more information, I would conclude that the RV dealership may be dragging their feet based on some of their excuses.

Give Jayco customer service a call (574-825-5861) and see what communication (time line) they have on record from "RV City".

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #3

I just had some minor warranty work done but my unit was at the dealer to do so. That being said a switch that went bad had to come direct from Jayco and then the old one has to go back under the warranty claim.

The other things though sound more like the dealer is covering TA and not some much Jayco. I was told the part could take 3-4 weeks to come from Jayco so the time frame is a little longer but not far off what I was told. Being yours seems to be more involved and with more expensive parts it may very well be the truth.

If the dealer is within a few miles you want to pay an unexpected visit in person and obtain the "truth". It's harder for them to lie to you in person especially if there are paying customers around. Saturday is always a popular let's go buy a new trailer day...squeaky wheel...

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #4

Service Centers - Interesting topic our camping group discussed over Labor day weekend.

One camper who owns a Crossroad said the dealer is reimbursed for their time spent on warranty issues by the factory. He said if there wasn't an authorized Crossroad repair facility near you, You can take it just about anywhere you want to have work done. The key is your repair facility MUST get pre-approval from Crossroads BEFORE work is done. When calling Crossroads, they will be asked for the scope of work needed to be done and the cost. I believe the customer have to pay for the repairs and Crossroads will reimburse you when you send in the bill.

I recommend calling Jayco yourself to find out if unauthorized dealer can work on your 5th Wheel and that you are unhappy with your current dealer.

There is a Jayco dealer close to my house and it needed some warranty work done on it, They asked me if I bought it from them, I said no, he asked someone a question came back and told me, since I didn't buy it from them they could do the warranty work but it will take three to four weeks since customers who bought from them get first service.

Never been back since.
rolling condo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #5

I'd hazzard a guess that it's unlikely you would EVER buy from that dealer.
I wonder if Jayco is OK with this type of treatment.
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #6

We bought our trailer from a dealer in the Phoenix area and their customer service is lacking. We found a great Jayco dealer in Southern Idaho with a well trained staff. Infact we will be stopping there next week for some minor warranty items and to purchase a cargo rack for the rear of the trailer.

It seems that some dealers are in the selling mode and others are really service oriented.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #7

The clock is ticking on my service from the dealer as well. The good part was that 90 percent of all the work was done 2 days after I brought it in for warranty work and I had the option of taking the trailer then and having the rest of the work done at a closer location to home. The rest of the work involved waiting for parts from Jayco and that was 35 days ago. I thought that since I had no camping plans I would wait it out. Yesterday a part from the service department was shipped to my home rather than being installed. The month long wait for parts means the service dept. has to reacquaint itself with a work order that they have had to put on the back burner and might not even remember. I think to some extent we as customers have come to expect these waits and this is how the industry rolls. I don't see why it should take Jayco a month to ship a part to anywhere. In the old days a tractor part was shipped by bus across the county and a farmer could be back in the field the following week. Yeah I know, these aren't tractors and that was 40 years ago. What was I thinking.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #8

I am not happy with the shotty repair work that the local Jayco dealer (Menifee Calif.) has preformed on out trailer.
I spoke with customer service at the Jayco factory & they authorized me to take my trailer to a non Jayco dealer for repairs.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim and Carolyn View Post
I really don't like being lied to, and if this is the way JAYCO handles their customer service, I will recommend to everyone I know to avoid Jayco products in the future.
This isn't a Jayco issue, you are dealing with a camper dealership. If you want it to become a Jayco issue then you need to call them and get them involved.
Used every weekend
CityFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFarmer View Post
This isn't a Jayco issue, you are dealing with a camper dealership. If you want it to become a Jayco issue then you need to call them and get them involved.
I will second that. We were lucky enough to find Bish's RV in Idaho Falls. They have taken very good care of us.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #11

I'm a new owner of an X23B. I've never liked anyone but me putting hands on a car that I've owned. If the issue is one that I can deal with I'll do the repair even if it's covered by warranty. I had a stereo issue with my new TT and spoke directly w/ Jayco. They sent the replacement directly to me. I just put the bad one on the UPS truck today. Cost was about $25 for the shipping. Jayco guy says they will send a check to cover but I really don't care. The gas to the dealer and time/inconvenience would have more than overed that. Something major ( read $$$) will go to the dealer for warranty.
I make my living from technology (software) so turning a wrench is good therapy. Just turned 61 and plan to keep busting knuckles as long as I can.
Just my $0.02
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote