Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #1

Very Mossy Crusty Roof. How to Clear it?

I just bought a 1991 Jayco 5th wheel and I love it. I failed to look at the roof pre-purchase but I doubt if I would have even let that be a deal breaker as I love the big windows and lay out and I got a deal. Would really appreciate some advice on the easiest way to remove the crust on the roof. It covers the entire roof area. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
moss.JPG   moss1.JPG  
Lexidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
Site Team

WOW....
Well easy probably would be harder on the roof than just leaving it alone. I would mix up a bucket full of warm to hot water with ALOT of blue dawn dish detergent and go to work with a medium bristle scrub brush. Good luck you have a big job ahead of you but it must be done so that you can properly inspect all the seams and reseal as needed.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #3

I agree with Dusty using mild dish soap and hot water. Take your time and don't try and scrape it off! Probably going to take a few times, but I bet it will come clean.

I didn't look at my roof too well either but it's not too bad. It has two patches but no leaks anywhere which is the most important thing. Roofs can be repaired. Plus I got my for a great deal too! just like you!

Any leaks that you noticed inside?

2006 Tracker Pro Guide 16 WT, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke; 9" Lowrance HDS; Motorguide Xi5 GPS
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I would have otherwise tried to scrape it off with a plastic scraper after soaking it up. I noticed NO signs of any leaks past or present in the camper. Surprising, being the absent upkeep of the roof. When I am ready to do the job, I will have some sealant ready in case some gets dislodged in scrubbing.
Lexidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:39 PM   #5

look for a thread on I have on skylights and EPDM rubber roof maintanence....it has some good advice from people on how to seal seams and make repairs. NO silicone sealant. Use the self-leveling Dicor on plumbing fixtures edges and Eternabond tape for seam repairs

2006 Tracker Pro Guide 16 WT, Mercury 60HP 4 Stroke; 9" Lowrance HDS; Motorguide Xi5 GPS
SoCalAngler is offline   Reply With Quote