Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #1

Vinyl Flooring Issue?

We noticed the bubble in the attached photo shortly after our first camping trip this spring. It doesn't seem to be growing. Reason for concern? What might have caused it? Welcome suggestions as to what to do about it.

Thanks,
Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Floor Bubble.JPG  
Schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #2

Any time that vinyl flooring in an RV bubbles or stains there is reason to suspect water intrusion. It's not 100% with something like your picture shows (evidence of staining puts water problems near 100%), but it still should be inspected in case there's a problem.

Is it under warranty? If yes, have it repaired.

Some trailer vinyl floor covering is loose laid (no glue). Some is glued. After you rule out water damage, sometimes using a clothes iron with a towel between the vinyl and the iron will re-activate the glue to stick it back down.

If loose laid, sometimes the iron heat followed by a weighted flat surface will help to restore flatness. Maybe try a hard cover book with a water jug on it.

Just don't get too crazy with the heat. Keep the iron moving.

Good luck. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
Any time that vinyl flooring in an RV bubbles or stains there is reason to suspect water intrusion. It's not 100% with something like your picture shows (evidence of staining puts water problems near 100%), but it still should be inspected in case there's a problem.

Is it under warranty? If yes, have it repaired.

Some trailer vinyl floor covering is loose laid (no glue). Some is glued. After you rule out water damage, sometimes using a clothes iron with a towel between the vinyl and the iron will re-activate the glue to stick it back down.

If loose laid, sometimes the iron heat followed by a weighted flat surface will help to restore flatness. Maybe try a hard cover book with a water jug on it.

Just don't get too crazy with the heat. Keep the iron moving.

Good luck. vic
Vic is correct. I would most likely suspect no glue. Jayco does not glue the linoleum down to the subfloor, it may need to be tucked under the stairs or like Vic said an iron with a towel may settle it back down. If it's beyond your comfort level to address yourself, bring it to the dealer for warranty repair. Good luck.

Mark
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Thanks. The 5th Wheel is four years old - so no warranty. I agree that the floor in this area is probably not glued down. There is no evidence of water intrusion - no staining, and the stair carpet next to the bubble is dry. I don't know how to rule out water intrusion without damaging the floor. The roof seals are good. As are all other visible seals. I will try the towel and iron fix. Thanks again.

Keith
Schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #5

The floor in our 33RLDS wrinkles in front of the stove and fridge on the slide the first time I open it for the season but it seems to flatten after it warms up a few days..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote