Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

Vinyl Insert Replacement

I was wondering if any of you had replaced the vinyl insert that covers the screws around the hatches and doors. Ours is starting to look really bad and I am thinking this will be a future project for me. If you have done a replacement where did you purchase your vinyl and what width did you use? Thanks for any help.
gowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

Jo Anns Sewing shop for vinyl, DW drags me there all the time for her projects. I redid boat seats with vinyl I got there.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:24 PM   #3

I have began to replace the vinyl screw covers on our Jayco Jay Flight. It is a simple job BUT it is time consuming. You must be sure to not stretch the vinyl when going around the corners. The pass through doors on ours use one inch moulding. I bought the replacement moulding at a local trailer supply house. On our vendor trailer I ordered it off Ebay and it was fine. Best of luck, if I can be of help please don't hesitate to contact me, Dave
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:34 PM   #4

something I want to do too. Thanks for the info.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:46 AM   #5

I assume you are talking about the vinyl strip that goes around the door hatches? I replaced a piece on my old trailer. I removed the old piece and took it to my local parts guy. He had a bulk roll of it, if I remember correctly, and cut me a new piece that was the right length and width. Installation was the opposite of removal. It only cost me a couple dollars.

An easier option might be to get some "back to black" plastic restorer and try that first. An $8 bottle should be sufficient for an entire trailer.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowest View Post
I was wondering if any of you had replaced the vinyl insert that covers the screws around the hatches and doors. Ours is starting to look really bad and I am thinking this will be a future project for me. If you have done a replacement where did you purchase your vinyl and what width did you use? Thanks for any help.
Google Vinyl Insert Trim. You find what you need. The size and color depends on what you have now. The vinyl trim is actually flat an you have to fold it in half to fit into the aluminum track. That is how it gets its rounded profile.

Take a small piece out and measure its width. That will tell you what size you need.

I bought some on ebay but you can get it at most RV places, all depends on price and how fast you need it.

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the replys guys. Yes it is the insert that goes around the hatches and doors. Ours is starting to look really bad. I have found several kinds and colors on Amazon. Thinking of going with a color darker than the white when I get around to replacing it.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #8

Thought everyone would like to see the finished product. I ended up using some 1 inch vinyl insert I got off of Amazon.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	19951