Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2016, 05:41 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Okay, someone edited their post about dumping Roundup on the lawn of the person who sold them the unit. Now I look like an idiot...
You were right. I just missed it!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:37 PM   #22

Just wish the op was closer. Being unemployed, I work for a LOT less than a dealer would, and could do all the repairs.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #23

Thanks for your help. The hole was drilled in the front wall. It seems scary to pull off that wall with the big curve in it. I'll let you know what we decide.
RLinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #24

I'd consider replacing with your choice of insulation and coated aluminum sheeting. There are definitely other options though.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:23 PM   #25

To clear things up: we bought this camper just this past spring. We think the water is getting in through caulking between the roof and front wall. We can fix that. We are uneasy with removing the front curved wall to open things up to dry and fix.
RLinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLinde View Post
To clear things up: we bought this camper just this past spring. We think the water is getting in through caulking between the roof and front wall. We can fix that. We are uneasy with removing the front curved wall to open things up to dry and fix.
My suggestion is to remove what looks like paneling on the inside of the side wall I am not suggesting that you do anything to the outside of the wall. You need to get all the water out of the cavity where you already drained the 5 liters. Drilling a hole up from the bottom into the sandwich of the wall will help but leaving water inside will lead to problems. Cover the top to prevent any additional invasion but sealing it up may be premature if you have to open up that front seam and pull back the front cap. Maybe someone can offer help in whats involved in removing the front cap. If the damage is limited to the lower foot or two on that one side you may be able to just pull back that front lower section to let it dry out.

All of this is really a mystery for that much water to be trapped inside the wall. Most of the water from my leaks had gone to the bottom and seeped under the flooring. You can dry that out from the top and bottom by cutting out the flooring in the storage area and the plastic underneath and then let the thing sit for a couple days. My concern is that that side wall won't dry out unless all the water is drained and you get some air inside somehow. Good luck.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Okay, someone edited their post about dumping Roundup on the lawn of the person who sold them the unit. Now I look like an idiot...
The round up comment was not calling for someone to actually take revenge. When someone says I'd like to strangle them, they aren't really thinking of violence. Anyway it would be hard to find something like this a few months after buying the unit and not be a bit P&*sed at the previous owners. Its possible they didn't know but its situations like this that make people suspicious about buying a used camper. Once you've experienced water damage, you won't be fooled again.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Just wish the op was closer. Being unemployed, I work for a LOT less than a dealer would, and could do all the repairs.
Be worth the trip by time you paid a dealer to fix lol
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #29

I usually consider a "front cap" to be similar to the new Eagles: a huge, molded, monolithic piece of fiberglass that has been attached to the sides, roof, and floor.

I would not consider the front piece on the OP's camper a "front cap." I'm more inclined to consider it a single piece of filon/luan laminate that is wrapped around the sides, and is integral to the side walls.

either way, the front end needs to be pulled, and likely discarded.

I Like BigJohns' idea of new material for a front end. the sidewalls would get some nice double 3/4" plywood (1.5" thick total) cut with a sabre saw to rebuild the radius. then start wrapping the new material around those radii.

You all need to understand, a unit this bad is technically totaled, and once a DIY repair is performed at this scale, the unit will not be "tradeable" at a dealer for the next trailer.

So, be prepared to move this unit on Craigslist when the time comes.

the repair is doable, and must be done or else black mold will take the camper.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:09 AM   #30

My 2013 has the inner panel on one side all wavy from the bottom of the side upper cabinet all the way down to the inside of the outer storage. I will be pulling all the cabinets and bed soon. Still have no idea where the water is coming in. More of that great Amish craftsmanship..
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delaminating, water