Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #1

Water Heater Gas Valve Failed

This seems to be the week for propane issues. About 6 weeks ago I started running my water heater on propane because I operate on a 150 gallon external tank during the winter and we haven't had any winter yet. As of this morning I have 65% of my tank remaining. This time last year I was getting it filled again so I want to use some more of it before spring.

Night before last the tank quit heating. Working with my dealer over the phone I have checked for:

An ignition spark - yes
12v to the propane valve on the tank - yes
Positive propane flow getting to the propane valve on the tank - yes

But no propane is passing through the valve = bad propane valve

The good news is it is still under warranty, two screws and 4 plug in wires to replace it, it is easy to get to, and most importantly - The electric side of the heater works perfectly.

Isn't having a backup system nice?

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Site Team

Well Ed, at least you are getting all the bugs out before the warranty runs out!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 AM   #3

Yep. My 2 year warranty isn't up until August, but at least I have 3 years extended past that. There is a $100.00 deductible during this last 3 years, but all major stuff will be covered. I didn't have to pay for this extension either. I had already cut a deal for my Designer and had a firm price when Jayco announced a free factory authorized 3 year extended warranty as a promo. My dealer handed me the extended warranty paperwork at closing at no charge. I lucked out on that. You can't help but wonder if the agreed price would have been higher had this promo come out before we cut a deal.

Oh well, I'm happy anyway.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

My dealer called a little bit ago and the new valve arrived. I removed the old one and exchanged with the dealer and installed the new one and...

I now have water being heated with propane again.

Life is good and so is my Jayco Dealer.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #5
Site Team

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote