Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Water Pump?

So we go for a 6 day boondocking trip to discover on the very first day that we have no water pressure. Can hear the pump running (very quietly, not like normal) and we have no water pressure whatsoever.

Anyone care to take a stab at diagnosis?

I plan on taking the tank out and checking all the lines soon.

Did a test the week before leaving and everything worked perfectly (of course).

jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

Valve to water suction line closed?
Tank empty?

There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Valve to water suction line closed?
Tank empty?
Tank was full. Like I said it worked perfectly the week before, nothing changed so I suspect the water pump.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:32 PM   #4

If your trailer has a way to winterize your lines with antifreeze, you could put the antifreeze line in a gallon jug of water, close the tank suction line and open the antifreeze line and see if the pump will suck water from the jug. If the pump works well, then there is something wrong with the tank or the suction line. For example, it is possible that although the water tank is full, the suction line is not down in the water, or it has come loose somehow from the tank. Also your water pump screen filter could be clogged or leaking air.

Of course, your pump could be bad and be the cause of the problem.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #5

When receiving my 2014 Greyhawk from dealer I was told that my tanks were dry and that was why my pump would not work. Upon arrival at home and filling tanks the pump would not work. I discovered that the screen filter see thru plastic cap was broken and laying on the floor. The pump was just sucking air. You might want to check yours.
JKDheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

My pump was doing that a while back. I double checked all the valves were closed (so it wasn't sucking air) and no change. I took off the in-line screen filter and cleaned what little debris was in there, and it worked.

Now, I don't know for sure if it was the debris in that screen that was causing my problem. It seemed kind of doubtful at the time because there really wasn't much in there, at least not enough to stop flow in my estimation. But it has worked fine ever since then.

I originally began diagnosing the problem with the supposition that the pump couldn't pull enough water to get "primed", but after I dumped water INTO the winterization hose, that theory was bunked.

So, bottom line, since you are going to be checking those fittings down there anyway, take that screen out and give it a good cleaning; it might just solve your problem.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #7

Okay, after checking everything out on Saturday I realized I was the problem.
Since the pump WAS running, I should have let it run longer to fill and pressurize the lines but was reluctant to do so for fear of running the battery low (another dumb mistake since I could've used the generator). I did remove the tank and back flush it , reinstalled it and filled the lines up. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the hose that looks like a breather that leads to an opening by the fresh water filler. It has a valve that when open (which I thought it was in the past) would cause air to enter the lines. Once I closed it off, it all seemed to work. Live and learn. I am exteremely grateful to everyone on this board that has offered help.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
My pump was doing that a while back. I double checked all the valves were closed (so it wasn't sucking air) and no change. I took off the in-line screen filter and cleaned what little debris was in there, and it worked.

Now, I don't know for sure if it was the debris in that screen that was causing my problem. It seemed kind of doubtful at the time because there really wasn't much in there, at least not enough to stop flow in my estimation. But it has worked fine ever since then.

I originally began diagnosing the problem with the supposition that the pump couldn't pull enough water to get "primed", but after I dumped water INTO the winterization hose, that theory was bunked.

So, bottom line, since you are going to be checking those fittings down there anyway, take that screen out and give it a good cleaning; it might just solve your problem.
X2. couldn't get suction, disassembled/cleaned the pump. couldn't get suction back until I took that screen off and cleaned it. And it wasn't dirty to begin with.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
X2. couldn't get suction, disassembled/cleaned the pump. couldn't get suction back until I took that screen off and cleaned it. And it wasn't dirty to begin with.
On my tank the filter and all fitting bosses are glued/welded in place. It wasn't possible to take the screen out and clean it. That's why I back flushed it and got some sediment and plastic shavings out of the tank.

It seems to be working OK now.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpolsin View Post
I think it may have been construction debris? It seemed like it could have been shavings from when holes were cut in the tank for the plumbing. Whatever it was, it was a TINY amount of debris to have caused such trouble. Now cleaning that screen is on my annual maintenance schedule, around the same time I sanitize the system.

Glad OP got his issue resolved!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote